what do you think about ctrl alt del

The Legacy

Feb 20, 2008
To respond to those who are ragging on the comic, I have this to say.

First of all, the whole thing about Tim being a jerk. Well, I've never met him in person. But, everytime I've e-mailed or PM'd him, he's responded in a non-jerkish way. If he's a jerk in real life, then fine. It's not breaking any laws, and it doesn't matter.

Secondly, the whole explicit picture thing is strictly rumor. It's a 'he said, she said' situation, where there is no direct way to imply proof. It could just be a member who got his panties in a twist and decided to make this elaborate rumor in order to sink him. And, it almost worked. But, if there WAS proof, then he could have been easily arrested for indecency to a minor. But, since no charges were ever filed, then that means it was likely made up. Very likely, any images intercepted were simply taken off of some other website. On the net, anything and anyone can be hacked and destroyed. There are millions of cases of identity theft, and personal lives being ruined from cases like this, and I can guarantee that anyone can be a victim. Tim should actually be complimented for being brave to use his full name on the web; it proves that he's standing up and above a madeup username. That exact FACT that he's got his name up there should prove, not only that that there is not enough proof, if it's even true, that he did it in the first place; but that the cops have his picture and name on the web for easy access, and if they really were going to charge him for it, he would have been arrested when that whole thing happened!

*Sigh...*

As for the comic itself, I find it's actually gotten more funny and serious. Not all webcomics need to be funny, people! There are such things as serious comics, you know, like the superhero comics of old. But, I'm finding that the comics as of late are becoming funnier than the comics of old. He's learning.

And one final note, we've all done stupids on the web and real life, or have even had your reputation tainted by some idiot. Once it happens to you, you'll realise how hard it is to shake a bad image.

Nyshano

Feb 21, 2008
I won't comment on Tim himself - I know absolutely nothing about the guy beyond what I've read here and, really, I don't care that much. In regards to the allegations about the girl - I've seen a similar thing happen to a friend, and despite it being a load of bollocks, the only real way to keep people from dramasploding is to delete. Banning people and deleting entire forums does seem rather extreme though.

As for the comic... CAD used to be brilliant, when I first started reading it, probably a few years ago now - aside from that I'll agree that I never got the appeal of Chef Brian. It has been going downhill recently, though - a huge amount of those seemingly random slapstick strips, or those that are clearly supposed to be jokes but which make very little sense. I was looking forward to a new story arc, as I do like his characters, stereotypical though they may be - and was rather unenamoured, or disenamoured (my spellchecker doesn't like either word, and I've forgotten which one is correct), by the pregnancy. Far too much like a soap opera, especially if it's going to be the main event over the next while.

Just as long as he doesn't take a realtime nine months to get onto something more interesting...

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
Ctrl+Alt+Del is pretty hit or miss with me. I keep reading it because I do find it entertaining overall. Which isn't too bad considering I'm not paying him.

Some strips manage to be funny. One of my favorites is his deflation of the most recent chain of Mac ad. Chef Brian is just a crackpot chef rambling incoherently. I don't see the humor.

As for his drama issues, I don't know or care. He's not a person I know personally, so I won't judge. I spend a few minutes a week at his site and that's it.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
I agree very much with alot of the earlier comments that noted that CAD started out pretty good but got worse as time went on, and that Buckley seemed to get lazy. The man's own horrible personality just added an omph to it.

But that aside, the comic itself can be criticized on its own merits without bringing Buckley into it.

First off, as has been noted previously, the basic CAD storyline has been repeating ad-naseum for years now, and the characters have not been developing. It go boring. He lost me for good with the latest "Ethan does more crazy things for Winterenmas" because, again, it gets boring. It's not funny, it's not "interesting" on a serious level, the comic has become a cliche of itself. Every storyline has the basic arc of Ethan doing crazy stuff, everyone around him trying to correct him, him doubling down on crazy stuff, everyone kind of giving up, some sort of allegedly comedic payoff, then rinse, repeat.

This also gets into one of the worse problems in CAD, which is that Ethan has become of the worst Gary Stu's known to man. He has his own religion, he has a "hot gaming girl" as a fiance who gently puts up with his frighteningly irresponsible behavior, he lives in a perpetual state of the worts sort of teenage boy immaturity taken to constant unrealistic levels, and never pays for it. And with time he has grown and grown to fill up the space of the strip, with girlfriend, his friend, etc, all becoming more like stock gag characters around the central cycle of Ethans shenanigans.

And again, this is a comic that, I used to laugh at its gag strips and some of its jokes (it helped that I discovered it before PA and didn't know some of the jokes were rehashes of PA jokes), but its become tired, repetitive, lazy, and boring.

Nov 28, 2007
To each their own, in my opinion. But when it gets to the point where I get flamed for simple posting a relative strip because it bears the name Ctrl-Alt-Del, something's not right.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Ctrl-Alt-Del is something I could never get into, and god help me I *tried*. I have a buddy of mine who reads it, and I generally enjoy the same sort of "funny" that he does, so when he recommended (highly, nonetheless) that I check out CAD, I read through the entire archive, all because (and this is the point) I DID NOT WANT TO HAVE TO ADMIT THAT MY FRIEND WAS THAT STUPID.

If you compulsively read CAD because you used to read it and you haven't learned how not to over the years, despite the fact that you haven't so much as chuckled in over 18 months, that's one thing. I can understand that. But there are people out there who still read CAD and think that it is funny.

Think about that. It's like people liking Garfield.

I'll admit that different people think different things are amusing, but I would think that everyone would be able to recognize that CAD no longer even tells jokes. The entire strip could be generated by an algorithm. It defines formulaic writing. Cap onto that the fact that the art is not so much traditional "art" as it is copy and pasted "clip art", reused forever and ever amen, and you have a strip that contains a sort of tangible anti-creativity, the very substance of nightmares.

So no, I don't care for CAD. Hell, this strip (based on Tim Buckley) only ever had one punch line, and it's infinitely more hilarious. Make sure to read the comments under each strip.

http://drunkduck.com/Buckleys_World/index.php?p=73542

- J

RPJesus

Nov 20, 2007
Its one of my less liked comics, but I still read it although the soap-opera quality surprise pregnancy does concern me as far as quality plotlines go.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
The Legacy said:
Secondly, the whole explicit picture thing is strictly rumor. It's a 'he said, she said' situation, where there is no direct way to imply proof. It could just be a member who got his panties in a twist and decided to make this elaborate rumor in order to sink him. And, it almost worked. But, if there WAS proof, then he could have been easily arrested for indecency to a minor. But, since no charges were ever filed, then that means it was likely made up.
Seriously, if you'd be an underage girl would you start a big law-suit against some grown-up who sent you a picture of himself naked? Yes, I agree that the rumor seems false, but his action after it were just stupid and this "no charges were filed" doesn't really defend him because I doubt the girl would be brave enough to even tell her parents (c'mon - it's internet people, you don't tell your parents what you see on the net, you just forget about this thing unless it turns out to be critical which it obviously didn't).

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
OK, on the little girl thing, let me say this: I've had my own problems with 14 year old girls. When I was in middle school, there was a girl I did not get along with. She reported me for sexual harassment, and I got a day's worth of detention for something I didn't even get to defend myself against, let alone do.
Oh and whoever cites encyclopedia dramatica needs a slap on the face. Just look up "Rape" and you'll see what I mean.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
To put it simply- CAD is good, but not good enough.
The first time I read the first comic I was hooked, and read about 90 comics in a short while. But I got more and more annoyed by where the comic was headed and got bored, skipped many comics and just concentrated on the plot.

At first it was just about 2 roomies playing games and the humor was a tad different back then and more enjoyable. Now the sole reason I read it is because I'm curious where Ethan's life is headed now that he's about to get married.

Nov 28, 2007
I like CAD. Not sure if I've said it yet. If you don't like it, that's all right. We have different tastes in humor. However, that does not give you the right to act superior and say that anyone who like CAD is an idiot and has absolutely no idea what "true" comedy is.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I like CAD. Not sure if I've said it yet. If you don't like it, that's all right. We have different tastes in humor. However, that does not give you the right to act superior and say that anyone who like CAD is an idiot and has absolutely no idea what "true" comedy is.
Well, actually it does, but you then have the equal right to ignore it.

- J

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
CAD seldom has funny jokes, Buckley refuses to use more or less than four panels even when doing so would make a better comic, his art style is laughably boring (how ironic!), he bogs down every comic with needless text (sometimes to the point that the text is what prevents the comic from being funny), and to top it all off, Buckley himself is a prick. I honestly think Buckley could make CAD at least a bit funny, but he refuses to break away from the formula which prevents this. I think his own arrogance prevents this.

I like to joke that most webcomics will become funny if you're smoke enough pot, but no matter how stoned you get, CAD will never get any more amusing.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Concerned was a lot better in terms of random humour(Then again was it random? It always had a punchline), too bad it's finished.

As for CAD: I'm fully aware of how much it sucks yet I can't stop reading it. Penny Arcade is still the best though(And I can't be bothered to start with VG Cats etc. because a webcomic freak like me would have to read each and every strip.And I'm fed up after reading all of PA and CAD)

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Ok, now that I'm off a school computer, I can show the depravity I mentioned earlier
Encyclopedia Drmatica on Rape:
Rape, also known as black sex(how it is traditionally done in africa, and at your mom's), is essentially the act of getting pwned by a penis, and is the most fun thing in the world. Try it. It is teh ultimate female fantasy. Rape is always hilarious especially when it involves clowns.

Rape is a common follow-up to Women's Retreats.

Rape was part of the life cycle of all animals until over 9000 years ago, butthurt ugly feminists who couldn't get teh cock permabanned rape and all acts of cock pwnage.

Shouting "SURPRISE!!11!" just before carrying out teh act of rape, negates its illegality in the eyes of the law in 99.9% of countries in the world.

Members of feminist communities (such as feminist) live in constant fear of rape. Every single one of them has been raped at least 100 times, or has almost been raped at least 100 times, or knows someone who was raped at least 100 times or has listened to a Tori Amos CD at least 100 times. All men are known to be rapists, because they have penises and like to stick them in people.

Please note: The savvy rapist will always use a condom to avoid receiving SUVs from woman. 'Anti-rape' tampons cause anti-lulz, since rape = lulz. (See LulzKiller For More Information)

The 'Anti-rape' female condom known as RapeX (also known as LulzKillerX) is equipped with razor-sharp blades designed to drive themselves into a penis; it can be reversed and used as a male condom in an act of rape for maximizing lulz potential.

Alright, we have racism and sexism right there, along with a couple more forms of idiocy and douchebaggery.

According to the bible,the painful rape of virgins is awwwwwwwriiiiight!

Wrong. Completely. Totally. WRONG.

What does rape have to do with niggers? If you ask yourself this question, then you are a fucktard.It has everything to do with them. Read a fucking book.

Do I even have to say it? The numbskull who said this was a source needs a swift kick in the balls and whatever else we can think of. The anger I'm feeling is impeding the development of witty retorts, and if you say this shit is funny or he's just messing around, you are sick and depraved.
-Haliwali, out.

EDIT: I checked "Gamer" and "Star Wars" to see if they were even *close* to the truth. Never have I wanted to punch my screen so badly. Not going near the site for the rest of my life...

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
Haliwali said:
Do I even have to say it? The numbskull who said this was a source needs a swift kick in the balls and whatever else we can think of. The anger I'm feeling is impeding the development of witty retorts, and if you say this shit is funny or he's just messing around, you are sick and depraved.
I don't think you grasp the fact that entire entry is entirely sarcastic, and if you knew anything about institutions such as Encylopedia Dramatica (who I am not a big fan of, honestly) and Fandom Wank (who are much better), you'd know that. Hell, reading the entry even by itself should make clear that what they are doing is parodying the arguments made by people online defending those kinds of things.

And again, you don't need to touch Buckley's personality to get at the fact that CAD is a sucky comic, and you don't need the "girl" incident to demonstrate he's a douche.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Honestly, I could care less if it was parody. That stuff is pointless and crude, there are better ways to get a say something.