What does fallout 3 do better then fallout new vegas

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i got both games 75% off(for $15) with all dlc during the
but i can't get fallout 3 on my computer(windows 7 64bit) to even start a new game with crashing. i tried fixes and it did nothing so i gave up on the game. i uninstalled it and when back to playing new veags

What does fallout 3 do better then fallout new vegas?
and is even worth getting fallout 3 to work?
edit: i will make attempts the fix it once in while but not to often or very actively

if want help with the problem you feel free to
preferably don't give me a fix i already tried
because it wastes both your unless there i a important detail i missed while trying the fix

this one
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328904
it does not stop my game from crashing when i click new game

deleting part of the intro movie lines in the a fallout 3 ini file
to make it look like this
SMainMenuMovieIntro=
SIntroSequence=
sIntroMovie=
still crashing when i try to start a new game

and also tried deleting thoses lines and the file "Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik" in the data folder
from my understanding is the file that contains the intro video
it still does nothing to solve my problem
i am not sure if i will keep it this way(of course i made a backup) considering for all it may actually be part of the problem

capablity mode + and run on administator + adding a D3D9.dll file in the directory that contains Fallout3.exe
still crashing when i try to start a new game

playing in windowed mode
some people there game did not work on full screen but it did work in windowed mode
i am still having the same problem while i am in windowed mode

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
Do you have windows 7 64 bits version? Does it crash on startup? I believe it did that.

I had the same problem. There was a fix stickied in the steam forum of the game (go to the game in your library, select it, then click go to forums. Look there for the fix) and it works fine now. And, scarily enough, it is the only bethesda game to date which I have played (and I believe I played everything since morrowind) which has been heavily modded but has not crashed yet.

I like fallout 3 better than vegas. I can't tell you why though. Maybe it's just because I have a thing with barren wastelands, and the mojave is more a natural desert than a wasteland. Storywise FNV is better though.

Word of advise: If you get Fallout 3 working, dont install FWE and the Fallout intercompatibility project (FOIP)
I did that and now damage is bugged: I can easily take on heavily armed supermutants in the open with my bare hands. At level 8. And I seriously mean bare hands, no unarmed weapons (It's an unarmed build, but still) and the fat boy does... 10 damage.

EDIT: Huh, it's not stickied.

That was the topic though.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I personally liked the environments in FO3 better. Yes there were lots of subway tunnels, but to me NV seems... empty. There is just so much wasted space in NV. Compare Freeside to Megaton. Megaton is visually distinct and there is a lot there. Freeside is dull and boring and it really feels like they just went down the checklist and put the minimum requisite buildings in random places.

Isshiresshi

May 7, 2008
Fallout 3 is a lot more "humanity is suffering from nuclear war and everything has gone to hell"-atmosphere and the story too is more focused on it as well, where New Vegas has a "did not get hit near as hard with nukes like everywhere else"-background. The story makes a lot more sense from the start to finish then New Vegas does.

They both play like each other. No different in the graphic or mechanics from the two games.

Fallout 3 has some interesting things as well as New Vegas so I think you should try and make it work so you can try it out!

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I live in the MD/VA/DC region and really found Fallout 3 to be the much more immersive game of the two. Compared to the OP I had the exact opposite experience as for me FO3 was far more stable than FNV. That said I overall liked the FNV DLC add-ons better than the FO3 ones and I also felt like the companions had a lot more personality in New Vegas than in 3 (<3 Veronica).

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Size, I still prefer Fallout 3 due to its size. New Vegas may have disguises but that's just me.

Sep 14, 2009
i had the same thing happen for the most part, for the life of me i can't remember how i got it working, it took me a solid day of troubleshooting (yes, literally) to get it going, even then it still crashed randomly while new vegas worked from day one of release, so there is that.

apples and oranges for the most part, i find new vegas infinitely better in so many ways, especially in the story/characters department, but that'll differ from person to person, so if you like new vegas so far, just keep chugging at it, if you don't like it so much, maybe try FO3?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Fallout 3 does "feeling like a game instead of an expansion packs" better.

But it pretty much rapes Fallout lore, world, factions, etc., in so many ways it isn't funny.

If you want a plot that actually has anything to do with Fallout, go play New Vegas.

If you just want to run around shooting shit in a game that is actually playable, play Fallout 3.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Fallout 3 does "feeling like a game instead of an expansion packs" better.

But it pretty much rapes Fallout lore, world, factions, etc., in so many ways it isn't funny.

If you want a plot that actually has anything to do with Fallout, go play New Vegas.

If you just want to run around shooting shit, play Fallout 3.
While I don't agree with the first line, pretty much this.
In the end it comes down to which atmosphere you prefer.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Greyhamster said:
Do you have windows 7 64 bits version? Does it crash on startup? I believe it did that.

I had the same problem. There was a fix stickied in the steam forum of the game (go to the game in your library, select it, then click go to forums. Look there for the fix) and it works fine now. And, scarily enough, it is the only bethesda game to date which I have played (and I believe I played everything since morrowind) which has been heavily modded but has not crashed yet.

I like fallout 3 better than vegas. I can't tell you why though. Maybe it's just because I have a thing with barren wastelands, and the mojave is more a natural desert than a wasteland. Storywise FNV is better though.

Word of advise: If you get Fallout 3 working, dont install FWE and the Fallout intercompatibility project (FOIP)
I did that and now damage is bugged: I can easily take on heavily armed supermutants in the open with my bare hands. At level 8. And I seriously mean bare hands, no unarmed weapons (It's an unarmed build, but still) and the fat boy does... 10 damage.

EDIT: Huh, it's not stickied.

That was the topic though.
thank for try to help but i already tried that
i still can't start a new game
i used this for help
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3
and i have no fucking clue how to use the codec pack thing

gmaverick019 said:
i had the same thing happen for the most part, for the life of me i can't remember how i got it working, it took me a solid day of troubleshooting (yes, literally) to get it going, even then it still crashed randomly while new vegas worked from day one of release, so there is that.
it took you a day
i would soon accept i spent $5 on this game i will never be able to play over spending that long just to fix it

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Fallout 3 offers a lot more spectacle than New Vegas. It's got a larger default map, you get to see ruins of DC all nuked up, you can nuke an entire town within the first hour of the game and there's a giant fucking robot that throws nuclear weapons like footballs. I also prefer the radio stations in Fallout 3 than New Vegas. It doesn't do much to the Fallout Lore though so if you're looking for a better Fallout experience without the shitty isometric turn based combat that the originals have to offer then New Vegas is the better option for you

Andytizer

Sep 16, 2010
gmaverick019 said:

apples and oranges for the most part, i find new vegas infinitely better in so many ways, especially in the story/characters department, but that'll differ from person to person, so if you like new vegas so far, just keep chugging at it, if you don't like it so much, maybe try FO3?
Random crash fixes for Fallout 3 can be found here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_3#Game_Crashes_Randomly