What does the world have against America?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Devil said:
Jinx_Dragon said:
I don't know... I made a joke about Americans forgetting what country they are in and requiring flags to remind themselves for a reason.
Yeah! Americans always waving their flags! It's not like those peaceful Australians, like you, who never do that!

Because it's only nationalism when it's in America, right?

Oh, buddy. I can find you dozens more of any country in the world who act the exact same. Get off your high horse, it's hilariously hypocritical.

As for the thread: Same reason people hate celebrities, they get all the fame, money, and pull they'd like. I mean, who doesn't dislike the rich kid on the block?
Who said that he supports nationalism in any country? The OP asked why people hate america and personally I cannot stand nationalism in any country doesn't matter if its in USA/England/Sweden/Norway/Iraq/China or whatever.

And if you hang a Swedish flag on your house in Sweden you will be seen as a skinhead (Except of course at footboll matches).

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
thaluikhain said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
People don't hate Americans, they hate America. Or, more accurately, it's policies, political climate and over-the-top patriotism.

An example of this? "God bless the United States of America."

The implication being, "And nowhere else".
Remind me, what's the national anthem of the UK, which is used for various occasions across the Commonwealth?

Though, fair enough if you also hate much of the Commonwealth, especially the UK, and New Zealand twice as much :)
I live in Australia, the least patriotic nation of the Commonwealth. Most of our country would happily sever ties with the Queen.

toolateforsundown

Dec 17, 2011
When I saw this thread I thought "How adorably naive" ^_^"

Pierce Graham said:
Can any country claim to be perfect bastions of freedom, democracy, happiness, cute puppies and cute smiles on a baby's face? None.
Perhaps it's because most Americans I've met have claimed this, or a somewhat less hyperbole-laden statement that essentially means the same thing, at least once with a straight face. And I AM American. Seriously, I hear this shit every day. I don't know what it is about being raised in this country that makes people like this--maybe the day of school I missed between talking about how big our founders' dicks are and how we never lose any armed conflict ever (except Vietnam, which totally doesn't count) was set aside for systematic brainwashing--but it embarrasses me so much I claim not to be American when talking to foreign nationals whenever I can get away with it. >.>

Which now that I think about it, doesn't help either: maybe the more reasonable Americans are too ashamed of their countrymen to bother defending them ^_^"

EDIT:
Tubez said:
Who said that he supports nationalism in any country? The OP asked why people hate america and personally I cannot stand nationalism in any country doesn't matter if its in USA/England/Sweden/Norway/Iraq/China or whatever.
Personally, I agree with this.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Really it just boils down to the wars America has been in. Also America was half of the reason the whole world could have been fucked by nukes in the 60s.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the Cold War if you believe that.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
nbamaniac said:
I think it's mainly because of America "nosing on around other people's business". There are lots of American outposts in other countries with unjustified reasons whatsoever according to the involved country. Philippines is a different case though imo.

There was once a highly publicized rape case in our country involving a group of American soldiers and a citizen. Americans are here because of the Visiting Forces Agreement, which means that they will hold regular training sessions in our country to aid our native soldiers in the fight against rebel groups (e.g. Abu Saiyaf which is allegedly funded by Al Qaeda). Anyway back on point, that case brought a lot of negativity and many people started to protest against the VFA.

As an analogy, the world is a classroom where America is the biggest pupil full of bravado. This makes other pupils either love or hate him. It just happens today that more people hate than love.
nah they're just mad that we wont give them back their bells:)

OT: we are hated because of 2 things mainly.
1. our dumbest and most idiotic people are the ones who make the headlines and/or piss off other people in their countries.
2.some countries just dont understand us.

there is a third reason but that goes back to the world wars were some people are still upset we had to help them or that we won. (give you a hint it isnt Japan or the UK)

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I think it's because people are jealous we invented the hotdog, spray cheese, Turducken, Natty Ice, and Jenna Jameson.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Devil said:
Jinx_Dragon said:
I don't know... I made a joke about Americans forgetting what country they are in and requiring flags to remind themselves for a reason.
Yeah! Americans always waving their flags! It's not like those peaceful Australians, like you, who never do that!

Because it's only nationalism when it's in America, right?

Oh, buddy. I can find you dozens more of any country in the world who act the exact same. Get off your high horse, it's hilariously hypocritical.

As for the thread: Same reason people hate celebrities, they get all the fame, money, and pull they'd like. I mean, who doesn't dislike the rich kid on the block?
Waving flags at a national sport event where your country is going against another is considered normal. Waving flags on the street of a national holiday is also a normal place to see such things. Most are even bought on site of such events, and thrown out or lost in the days after because... we don't really give a fuck about our flag.

US on the other hand seem to stick the flag where-ever they can. There are whole streets over there where every second house has an American flag in front of it. No special event that would justify it, just a flag being flown 24/7 for the sake of bragging to your neighbors that you are more 'patriotic.' The sad part is the people who do this, they don't even realize that your actually being nationalistic which many would consider a negative thing.

That is what I am pointing out with the joke about not knowing what country you are in: Because it is not normal for any other country to have people flag waving daily.

I could understand the immigration office, but after decades of traveling the world even this is abnormal. Most airport immigration offices don't have flags hanging on the walls like tapestries of old. They might have one flying out-front of the airport and they do have them on the uniforms of the officers but outside of these places you don't see many flags being flown at all. Even in places where I would considered it normal your country still goes out of the way to 'over-do' it.

So yeah: Rare is the person who feels the need to fly the Australian flag out front of their house. It does happen, don't doubt that, but it is a rare occurrence over here. No matter how many pictures of Olympic events or war memorial celebrations you might produce, it does not come anywhere close to what I was pointing out. That it is not normal for other countries to fly a flag outside of every second house in a street.

Also, you made me laugh about the US being the 'rich kid on the block' when China and the Arab emigrants are floating your economy by covering your debts.

As a quick experiment I decided to google image search two terms: US flag house and Australia flag house.

For the US flag house test I got many pictures of houses, flying US flags... even flags being flown from street and lamp posts. Some houses had more then five flags flying at a time!

The search for Australian flag house brought back lots of flags flying from governmental buildings and I really had to search to find a handful of houses flying said flags.

This by no means is a conclusive test, but given what I have personally witnessed traveling the world I can tell you... it isn't surprising. Your country is bathed in nationalism, very much so in the southern states, to the point it is mind-boggling. You might not like the idea of being called a nationalistic country, I know your government made it a dirty word, but sadly: you are.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Devil said:
Jinx_Dragon said:
The way i read that he was talking about that stereotype of the American suburban neighbourhood with the big houses, the bright green lawns and a flag flying in every garden (i may be wrong). The pictures you posted all look like they were taken at either a sports event or a big public event (maybe a royal visit) now those two moments are times when overt nationalism is practically expected but apart from those kinds of things you never see such an overt personal display. The closest i can think of in the UK is this:

And the people that do that are often seen as a bit tacky.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
I don't hate Americans at all. Hell, I don't even hate the American government. It's what they're doing is what I quietly say, "Stop doing that, please."
My granddad is American, and I think he's one of the greatest people ever. His American relatives are equally nice. Most people out of North America think the USA is the devil from what we call a vocal minority. A small amount of people who are loud enough are heard through the news is brought to the spotlight.

Anyone who actually thinks about what they hear through the television or internet should know about this.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Two Words: Fox News.

Painting the country in the worst negative light since... whenever they started.

Seriously, they're the most vocal, and if you listen to them, it's no wonder the rest of the world sees us as Racist, Nationalistic, Redneck A**holes.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think what pisses me off is when I am presented with this idea that America's way should be everyone's way and that America controls the world. That is to say, the reason every war has ever been conducted by America.

So, as a broad judgement of an instiution, I "hate" the American millitary-industrial-economic machine, which appears to be based upon the idea that "we're the best and everyone should become like us".

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Malty Milk Whistle said:
Starke said:
Malty Milk Whistle said:
Starke said:
snipity snip
Someones a tad defensive today..... but the difference between the British empire and U.S.A is that most Britons well....dont like the idea of a empire, and think it was a terrible time...and this forum is about america as a governmental body, not the individuals.
That's funny, because most Americans don't like the idea of empire, and think it is a terrible idea. Those that actually like the idea tend to be either a small cadre of elites or people who have been lead blindly by the nose, either through patriotism or other incentives. A pattern that should be painfully familiar to you. Saying you hate America for it's hypocrisy while at the same time raging at the very behaviors your own government engaged in is, well, hilariously hypocritical. Especially when you do not even acknowledge your own government's history.
your argument has already been notified, and i admitted it was ill stated. and British people are all cunts, myself included(i believe Google picked up on that some time ago)but self deprecation is a main-stray in England. and...when did i rage against america, because the only person i have found myself not liking (apart from bush, most republicans and pre-pubescent Kids) is you? and most English/British people will be the first to admit that the government(most of them) screw up big time. and to quote a maniacal freak with a strange smile "why so serious?"
I owe you an apology; I'm sorry. I conflated your post with the argument that Thyunda has been forwarding. He's been arguing that the only reason anyone on in the Arab World dislikes the UK is because you apparently started allying with us during the Bush Regime, that the Arab World apparently cannot distinguish between different groups in the western world, and that all the wrongs the British Empire committed were washed away the instant America stepped foot in Bagdad.

Malty Milk Whistle said:
and also
Starke said:
Saying you hate America for it's hypocrisy while at the same time raging at the very behaviors your own government engaged in is, well, hilariously hypocritical.
. i honestly don't understand what your trying to prove here. Just sayin.
It was either trouserbiscuit's or Thyunda's argument that the UK was suffering because of American actions, and then providing a series of events which directly mirrored prior imperial era behavior. I mean, you can go back and look if you want, but from the complaints about suicide bombers targeting the UK because they'd never done anything wrong, to saying something like that "America was founded on rivers of native blood" is pretty damn hypocritical coming from an individual who represents one of the greatest empires in history. Similarly Thyunda's complaint about an American lack of respect for Pakistani sovereignty is so absurd as to actually be funny, given the historical context.

Again, none of this was directed at you, and I did end up conflating your post in with theirs when you jumped in, which was my error.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Jinx_Dragon said:
US on the other hand seem to stick the flag where-ever they can. There are whole streets over there where every second house has an American flag in front of it. No special event that would justify it, just a flag being flown 24/7 for the sake of bragging to your neighbors that you are more 'patriotic.' The sad part is the people who do this, they don't even realize that your actually being nationalistic which many would consider a negative thing.

That is what I am pointing out with the joke about not knowing what country you are in: Because it is not normal for any other country to have people flag waving daily.
Nominally the only people who tend to engage in such behavior over here are ex-military or the unhinged. The ex-military tend to do it because of revelry, I guess, the unhinged do it because they're, well, nuts. Either way this is not the norm.

That said, most government offices do slap them up like tapestries of old. No, I don't know the rational per say, but I suspect it could have something to do with Federalism. That is to say, if you walk into a state building you're more likely to see the flag for that state, while entering a federal building you'll only see the national flag. But this is speculation on my part.

EDIT: The description of whole streets actually makes me think of 4th of July, which is a national holiday, and does tend to over saturate the country in flags for about a week or three.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I like how every thread like this magically assumes everyone who hates Americans thinks every other person from any other country, particularly their own has sunshine and butterflies flying out of their arse full time. Or how it mistakes "hating America/Americans" for "hating every single person regardless of who they are as long as their passport reads US".

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Starke said:
Nominally the only people who tend to engage in such behavior over here are ex-military or the unhinged. The ex-military tend to do it because of revelry, I guess, the unhinged do it because they're, well, nuts. Either way this is not the norm.

That said, most government offices do slap them up like tapestries of old. No, I don't know the rational per say, but I suspect it could have something to do with Federalism. That is to say, if you walk into a state building you're more likely to see the flag for that state, while entering a federal building you'll only see the national flag. But this is speculation on my part.

EDIT: The description of whole streets actually makes me think of 4th of July, which is a national holiday, and does tend to over saturate the country in flags for about a week or three.
State buildings and the likes are also acceptable places to find them, they are government owned buildings and it is the flag of said government.

Who knows, maybe I have just chosen the wrong cities to visit. Actually, thinking more on it I think the common thread was the age and finance of the suburbs in question. The places I saw this phenomenon where middle-upper class or higher suburbs that had been built in the last 20-40 years at most.

Explains why I saw it a lot in California.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Vrach said:
I like how every thread like this magically assumes everyone who hates Americans thinks every other person from any other country, particularly their own has sunshine and butterflies flying out of their arse full time. Or how it mistakes "hating America/Americans" for "hating every single person regardless of who they are as long as their passport reads US".
Well, I don't think I count as I do not hate Americans given I immigrated to Canada to be closer to my friends in the North American Region. Still, I don't think your own blanket statement is accurate given we have not been asked to comment on our own nations. If you want to hear a whole lot of fucked up stuff about Australia, give me a few moments of your time.

Our government makes yours look tame... the only reason you don't hear anything about it is because we do not have the military might to fuck the world over on top of being dicks.

He is a freebee: To win an election Howard ordered federal police officers to seize the children of native Australians. He did this to drum up fears of children being abused in Aboriginal communities so he could he was 'tough on child abuse' and to vote him out of office would be supporting the rape of children.

That happened in 2007....

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Thyunda said:
Starke said:
-almost serious argument-
I almost took you seriously until you implied that Malta, Scotland and Ireland are all somehow immensely angry at the English.
Yeah, the IRA was a symbol of love. As to Malta, yeah, they don't hate you, at least not like people in China and India still do. But it was a different dynamic than your average colony, and regardless it was a holding of the Empire, which was the point.

Thyunda said:
Have you even been to those countries? Last time I was in Malta, the Maltese seemed pretty damn happy with the English. While Ireland constantly complains about not being independent, they're hardly oppressed. Same with the Scottish. Do you know how much the Scots care about being part of the UK?
Oh, I've got a pretty good idea how much they care. But does it matter? For the Irish, yes, it is oppression, not as severe as it was even just fifteen or twenty years ago, but for many Irish their homeland is still occupied by a foreign power. Are things getting better? They seem to be. But the fact of the matter is, Ireland is still an unwilling colony of the British.

Thyunda said:
They do not give a shit. Now, you can keep telling me about all this stupid shit, but you're getting nowhere. Fact of the matter is, England slipped into near-obscurity in the early 20th century, when the US took hold. Nobody cared about the country any more. We were no longer big, no longer powerful, we were just old news.

Oh. And will you please stop telling me I'm an English nationalist. My name is Conchobhar mag Fhionnghaile, for fuck's sake. Does that sound English to you?
So you're saying you can't be an English nationalist because of your name? Your own espoused ideology is irrelevant? Just your name precludes you? That's, that's really not how that works, you know.

As to the US being big and powerful early in the century? No. The US was a nominally isolationist power until 1941. For the US the interwar period was dominated by an economic collapse, and an utter aversion to involvement in foreign affairs. In fact, one of the things that delayed US involvement in both world wars was our aversion to getting involved. Now, obviously that changed after 1945. But, the British and French Empires rebuilt themselves in the wake of the Second World War and persisted for a good twenty years after that. The only empires that can plausibly claim that they were gone early in the century were the Germans and the Ottomans, both of whom were carved up as spoils of war by the French and British at Versailles.

In fact, one of the ways the US did piss off the middle east after World War I was Wilson's speech on Self Determination, which many in the middle east saw as a sign that they would be free to rule themselves after the conflict, something which the League of Nations promptly shat all over. As recently as the Second World War, the US was actually rather warmly regarded by the Middle East as an ideal to aspire to. It wasn't until the Cold War that things went south for us on that front. The British, however? Not so much.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Jinx_Dragon said:
Starke said:

State buildings and the likes are also acceptable places to find them, they are government owned buildings and it is the flag of said government.

Who knows, maybe I have just chosen the wrong cities to visit. Actually, thinking more on it I think the common thread was the age and finance of the suburbs in question. The places I saw this phenomenon where middle-upper class or higher suburbs that had been built in the last 20-40 years at most.

Explains why I saw it a lot in California.
Well, that and California is weird. Sorry, that may sound like a copout, but it's true.

There's also the factor that a lot of California's population jump in the 1940s and 50s were Second World War Veterans, who emigrated because land was cheap. It could make sense under some strange circumstances, but, honestly, having been all over the country over the years, that one strikes me as sounding really odd. You may have found some bizarre outlier, or it's possible there was something else going on. I seem to recall Louisville drags out the flags in may for the Kentucky Derby... and then shuts down 2nd Street Bridge screwing up the traffic patterns for two weeks...