What does Yahtzee want?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I think Yahtzee just wants to play alot of Portal.

EDIT:
tghm1801 said:
Its Sands of time, Portal, Spiderman 2(i think), Dizzy ---, and silent hill 2. Its pretty obvious to those of us with brains.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Honestly, I prefer Anti-social Fatman over Yahtzee, he's just as in dept and critical....yet he does "real" reviews.

Although if you're looking for quick one liners and contrived reactions Yahtzee is still your man...=/

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I believe Yahtzee used to review honestly but peoples opinions of him have started swaying his criticism. He knows that he gets more views the more critical he is, so he's trying to increase his views. Again, don't take his reviews seriously unless he says a game is good. If he says it's good, it's GOOD. If he says anything else, it can range anywhere from horrid to pretty damn good.

And he reviewed Arkham Asylum positively. He actually said he'd have to focus on the little things just because the game was so good.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Yahtzee is just doing his job. He's a hard to please critic and he nit picks everything. He's known and famous for being an ass but he also points out things that are true about that game. A critic isn't meant to love what they criticize. He is also both a comedian and a critic; it's worked for him for ages now. He says a game is good in his own way like the Dragon Age review, he didn't say if he liked it or not; instead he said he couldn't put it down. That's as good as saying he enjoyed the story at least. ZP isn't really meant for making gaming decisions, its more to laugh at the quirks in games, unless it's really bad then it's just fun to watch him tear into it like he did with Wet.

Vortex Traveller

Sep 28, 2008
Considering this is a guy who opened a Gaming Bar in Australia and reveiws games weekly I guess so. His reveiws are meant for comedy, not to be taken seriously anyway as he magnify's flaws for comedic effect. He also stated several games he likes such as Psychonauts, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Silent Hill 2, Saints Row 2, Portal etc. As Yatzee said "no one likes it when I'm being nice to a game" and "You don't come to me to here how a game is good" its entertainment value and the persona he takes on as ZP thats all.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
He just points out any flaws that a game may have. Since virtually every game has flaws, he always has something to point out and put down a game for.

One might say hes just looking for the perfect game, and refuses to lower his standards. A game may be really good, but if has one aspects that is tedious, buggy, or stupid, that game is not perfect, and thus, doesn't deserve to be thought of as such.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
I think after Psychonauts there was some bad feedback to the lighter theme. He hasn't made a review like that since so that makes sense to me.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Watch his Psychonauts review then watch his Bioshock review. This will answer your question.

The Aimless One

Aug 22, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
He's a critic. He's not paid to like games. He's paid to rip them them apart and bring in the viewers.
Suplying criticism isn't quite the same as riping everything apart.

Yahtzee does it for the sake of comedy more than anything else.
So I'd sooner call him a comedian.

If I assume he's a critic then I'd say he's piss poor at his job.

Funny as Hell though.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
What he does is, well, tell it how it is. If a game is as buggy as anything, then he won't be afraid to say that it is.

Compared to many reviews that brown-nose developers (Oblivion? 100/100? Bleedin' 'eck, did they even play it?), Yahtzee is a very refreshing change. I'm not saying he's right all the time and that I constantly agree with him (many titles he reviews I can't play as they're console games), but I do think he does a good job at being funny whilst also being somewhat informative.

I'm pretty sure he likes games, as he wouldn't be doing what he does now if he didn't.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Its part of his persona, and he learned early on that people don't find it entertaining when you praise the game you're reviewing, so mostly its just for comedic effect.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
He's just doing it for comedic value. It wouldn't be funny if he actually reviewed the games.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Simple answer: Movie Bob is a reviewer. He actually reviews movies.
Yahtzee doesn't review games, he is not a reviewer. He's a comedian, and he rips on games as his source of humor.

Never ever base any decisions off of his opinions.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Yahtzee is a troll... And honest troll but a troll.
And he is the best god-damn troll there is! And I love him for that...

ALL BOW TO THE ÜBAH TROLL!

LordWalter

Sep 19, 2009
mikespoff said:
First off, I'm a fan of Zero Punctuation. I like a lot of what Yahtzee does with the posts, his visual and written humour is great.

But I have to wonder - does he actually like games?

I ask this because he literally seems impossible to please. I can't recall a single contemporary game which he actually said anything equivalent to, "This is a great game, you should play it", with the exception of Portal. Sure, he's praised older games like Psychonauts or Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, but generally only as a contrast to illustrate how much the game that he's actually reviewing sucks. In the past year, he barely managed to be positive about Batman: Arkham Asylum or Mass Effect 2, which are both nearly flawless games and garnered pretty universal positive reviews. If it's not rosily-tinted with nostalgia, apparently it just sucks.

I contrast this with Movie Bob, who does actually seem to like movies. He gets excited about great ones, he gets angry about ones that suck. In other words, he actually gives useful critique.

If you're just looking for the schadenfreude of whatching someone vent his considerable spleen for 5 minutes, ZP's great, but it really doesn't seem to be offering much to someone who's trying to assess a game's quality.

Thoughts?
OP is a troll. Plain as day. /Reported.

Don't call a sewage technician to redecorate your bathroom. Yahtzee is popular BECAUSE he fulfills a niche for relentless critical analysis.

If you're looking for some positive reinforcement, why not hop on over to G4 where they hand out 4/5s to any game which has a menu screen?

Tosser.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I think he's more about reviewing the bad parts of games than the good parts. Everyone else on the Internet praises the good parts and makes the bad ones a footnote, so Yahtzee's just making sure you don't forget about the bad parts.

Jun 11, 2008
You do know he only is like that for humour that is what his audience wants. The few times he gave positive reviews eg Portal, CoD4 and Psychonauts people didn't like them. In fact in the next video after Psychonauts he commented on people complaining about him liking it saying it wasn't as funny. So that's what happens when you listen to whinny fans.