What game deserves a remake?

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
As for a new contribution... I'd like to see the same treatment for System Shock and System Shock 2. They're both awesome games that I think would benefit quite a bit from a graphical overhaul, especially right now with the popularity of the Bioshock series.
Ninja'd.

SS1 looks and sounds horrible on DOSBox, the only way to play it on modern computers. SS2 has a few graphical mods, but there's still the issue of bad melee detection and unbalanced RPG mechanics (and it's also a pain in the ass to play on modern computers).

As for Half-Life, I'd be content with Black Mesa: Source... if they would bloody finish the thing already. I know some of the developers got jobs at full-fledged game studios, but still...

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
endtherapture said:

In HD, fully voice acted, with all the improvements from Oblivion and Skyrim.
Someone's probably already created it with the construction set lol

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
OniaPL said:
Right now the stores are filled with all kinds of different remakes, like Halo: Anniversary, Shadow of the colossus/ ICO remake, and other remakes.
But which game do you think that really deserves to have a remake? Why?
Motherfucking Dewprism for Christ's sake!

Come on Square Enix--you've got fans that love you... why do you keep stepping on us? Dewprism (Threads of Fate for westerners) had a pretty decent storyline and the two main characters were very likable. Take away some of the shoddy platforming and clipping issues in a remake and BAM! Instant best-seller.

Okay, okay, the game wasn't that great but its cult-following would disagree.

anANGRYkangaroo said:
robert022614 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Legend of Dragoon. It is the game that got me into RPGs. A remake would be pure JRPG goodness.
I second this to infinity. I loved the story of that one.
Thirded...

Ya know what? Lets find us some programmers and modders. Emulate it on PC and make a new skin for the game, 'tis all it needs
Fourth...ed.

I really liked Legend of Dragoon but I never finished it. I was playing FFIX at the same time and it took preference. Then I started playing Legend of Dragoon and either I got stuck at one part or the disc got scratched to damnation. I remember I was really getting into it, too, once I got the really cool transformation for the main guy.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Anthraxus said:
Hold on there. Don't get your hopes up. JA2 was known for It's AMAZING turn based combat, but the new one is ditching that for a RtwP system
Real...time with pause? The kind that was used by the UFO extraterrestial games? (dont judge me, im an xcom fan who will snap up anything that ressembles it)
Is this your idea of a sick joke? You messing with me...you gotta be...

Aw gawd knew it was too good to be true, this will teach me to have hopes and dreams.
Nothing wrong with real time with pause, but makes for a completely different kind of combat then turn based does, therefore meaning ja3 might look like ja2, but they will play completely different :\

Already knew of v1.13, since you've reminded me of it i'll console myself by startin a new ja2 game.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
A KOTOR remake with new graphics would be nice, so long as they left everything else largely the same (save the loot system; maybe a bit more random, though not to the scale of KOTOR 2 and its whole 7-double-bladed-lightsabers-and-a-short-one-but-no-regulars!)

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
I'd agree on the original Deus Ex and Fallout titles... but only if the meat of the games were left completely untouched. I hate remakes that end up being more akin to retellings or reinterpretations, and those are games that I think are more than fine on their own merit.

As for a new contribution... I'd like to see the same treatment for System Shock and System Shock 2. They're both awesome games that I think would benefit quite a bit from a graphical overhaul, especially right now with the popularity of the Bioshock series. I'm all-for reintroducing old classics to new generations of gamers that may not have bothered before a remake due to bad graphics.
I am confused. You say you want a remake that's essentially the same? What would that accomplish? All you'd get is a shiny new paint job on the textures. As soon as you start messing with the complexity of messes, structures and the scaling of the world it's set in you lose the "meat" of the game.

Take for example the Metal Gear series. With each iteration, Hideo Kojima aimed to push the chosen console to it's limits with gameplay, then he'd adapt the story and such to fit what was possible. If you think about things like the aiming system in Metal Gear Solid, there were no limb or headshots, you had to get three consecutive shots off quickly and concisely. I dread what the alternative Revoler Ocelot fight would be if you could shoot in first person.

Another example would be that developing Final Fantasy VII would be too vast to HD-ify in a realistic time-scale.

My point is that good games are well... good. The more you try to add things and make it better, you being to lose what made it great. On the other hand though, there are games out there which were either awful or not bad, but had some potential in them. Those I would like to see remade.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Lucian The Lugia said:
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos needs an HD revamp.
mitchell271 said:
I only have one thing to say, then I will leave the thread alone forever.
[colour="red"][HEADING=3]Half-life[/HEADING][/colour]
geekRAGE said:
I want a remake of the original quake
I agree with these. Especially the first quake. I liked what the first quake was about, it was like a more cthulian Doom, the later games had nothing to do with the first game at all, and were instead about cyborgs... >.<

also, maybe LAPD:future cop, it was surprisingly a really good ps1 game.

General_Tragg

May 25, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
If Timesplitter 4 isn't going to be announce soon I would be content with a Timesplitter 2 or 3 remake.

Oh it would be cool if they remake Quake as well.
QFT.

I neeeed it, I need it or I will explode... that happens to me sometimes...

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I'd agree on the original Deus Ex and Fallout titles... but only if the meat of the games were left completely untouched. I hate remakes that end up being more akin to retellings or reinterpretations, and those are games that I think are more than fine on their own merit.

As for a new contribution... I'd like to see the same treatment for System Shock and System Shock 2. They're both awesome games that I think would benefit quite a bit from a graphical overhaul, especially right now with the popularity of the Bioshock series. I'm all-for reintroducing old classics to new generations of gamers that may not have bothered before a remake due to bad graphics.
I would already be happy with old games like Fallout coming out complete with the after-market userland patches and fixes. I only just finished the very first Fallout again about a year ago, and the one thing that really bugged me was the 640x480 resolution. Most of the broken or plain inacceptable issues have been fixed.

My favourite title to receive some attention and love would be Wizball. I just plain have not seen a game like that in, what, twenty-five years?

Aye, I wish for Wizball to happen, complete with electronfunktastic remixed Galway chiptune goodness.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
If you mean like an HD re-release then The Legacy of Kain series.

If you mean an actual new game, then The Legacy of Kain series.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Spyro. Original. Trilogy!

All three games, HD remakes in the same fashion as Halo: Anniversary.
ie. Not touch anything but the graphics and sound.

Instant buy!

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Donkey Kong 64.

Man i wish.... that game is awesome, but mines borked and i can't play it anymore =(

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Zantos said:
Wing commander. Yeah, a 21 year old game, definitely needs a remake. With graphics that need an actual graphics card to process, rather than what could feasibly be done on a sheet of corrugated card with a holepunch. Also, controls that aren't completely stupid.

And while they're at it, remake the film.
Amen to this - And I want some remakes of Ultima 1-7 as well while they are at it, and why not toss in Fallout 1-2, Baldurs Gate 1-2 etc - then my fantasy would come through!

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
So many great choices have already been spoken.

Half-Life
Legacy of Kain
Tie Fighter
Fallout 1 and 2
Goldeneye 007 (The BS version from Activision DOES NOT count)

Here are my additions:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (Best in the series)
Magic Carpet 2
The Dig
Zelda: Link to the Past (an HD version of that would be fucking SICK)

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
Dungeon Keeper needs one. Also Syndicate needs a proper re-make. Magic Carpet too?

Ah F$%# just bring back Bullfrog already!