What games ARE worth the money you paid for them?

e.wlmo4

Oct 9, 2010
Doodle Jump as I have lost count of how much time it has remedied from boredom while waiting for the bus and such and all for $1.29NZ.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Oblivion and Fallout 3

more than a thousand hours have been distruibuted between those games, way more.

Rattler5150

Jul 9, 2010
Fallout 3: im still playing the game (sandboxing) 2 years later, worth every penny
Quake 3 arena: I still play this now and again, and I had this installed for 10 years
Diablo1 and 2: I played and completed D2 at least 4-5 times, I love the barbarian and necromancer

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Ignoring games I bought in sales etc. GTAIV and COD4 are two games this gen (PS3) I don't regret paying full price for.

Last Gen: Manhunt, GTA Vice City and Black on the PS2.

Prior to that nothing springs to mind, mostly as I bought most my games second hand or in sales and thats a seperate point in my opinion.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I always make absolutely sure I want a game before I purchase it.

My most recent purchases are:

Little Big Planet
Nintendo DSi (with Mario Kart DS, Suikoden Teirkries, Metroid Prime Hunters, Scribblenauts)
and Grand Theft Auto 4: Episodes of Liberty City

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
NOT Halo Reach.
Purely because I had it for like, one week before my stupid mate destroyed it.

One, magical week.
/cries

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Orange Box is by far the most bang for my buck I've ever gotten from a game (aside from possibly Perfect Dark on the n64).

World of Warcraft is a close second.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Age of Empires (all of 'em!)
Lots of stuff from GoG...

Settlers 7 (but only because I paid just $20 for the thing)

Gothic 3
Risen (I've gotten practically a dollar-per-hour value out of this, and enjoyed 90% of it)

Most everything I've bought, actually.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
No game is worth 60$ IMO, so I only buy games on release day, since you get them way cheaper then, gonna pick up Fallout new vegas for 20$ on friday(woo)

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The Orange Box, first and foremost, is the best deal I've ever gotten when I paid twenty quid for it. I've well over a thousand hours on tf2, and the rest is well, fucking awesome.

Next is when I recently bought Left 4 dead 2 for 7 euro.

For higher priced games, I recently got super mario galaxy 2 for 45, but it's worth every penny. It's ridiculously fun, and consistently inventive with its level design. A triumph.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
The Orange Box, first and foremost, is the best deal I've ever gotten when I paid twenty quid for it. I've well over a thousand hours on tf2, and the rest is well, fucking awesome.

Next is when I recently bought Left 4 dead 2 for 7 euro.
These 2 for sure. Also, Recettear cost me £11 (and has only gone up to £12 and is awesome) - I also paid full price (£30) for Bad Company 2 and that was definitely worth the price. Dragon age I likewise paid £30 for, and between me and my girlfriend, we've racked up something like 550 hours on that game, so that seems worth it. :D

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Since gamestop gouged all the prices in the used market, I started buying new so not a hell of a lot.
Saints Row 2
Fallout 3
Borderlands
Ummm
Asscree 2

You could get a lot more value last gen. This gen they try to shore everything up with multiplayer and achievement trophies.

Trilbi

Oct 18, 2010
Gonna have to say AC2 as I bought it for quiet cheap very recently and it's been bucketloads of fun.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Games worth the money:
- The Orange Box (every game separately too, but the collection even more so)
- Fallout 3
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Civilization V (and likely every one before it; though upgrading isn't really worth it)
- SimCity
- Altitude
- Machinarium
- World of Warcraft (if you're into that sort of thing)
- Minecraft
- Flower
- Battlefield 2
- Battlefield 2142

Games that aren't worth the money:
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Age of Conan
- Warhammer Online
- City of Heroes
- Spore
- many others whose names I can't remember anymore

As far as I am concerned, duration has little to do with the value of a game. Portal, Machinarium, and Flower are some of the best games I have ever played, even though they lasted less than 8 hours each. On the other hand, Age of Conan was the worst experience I have ever had and it probably had over 100 hours of gameplay. It's about quality, not quantity. Portal and Flower were wonderful experiences which were worth the $10-20 that they cost. In all of its hours, AoC never provided an enjoyable experience.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
games that are worth the full $60
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Rock Band 2 (holy shit I've spent a lot on DLC)
and
Enslaved

mostly every game I bought last console generation for $50 was worth it
how was the PS2 so fucking awesome?

games that are worth what I payed
I had a free rental coupon so I got to play through Halo Reach for free that was worth it
I picked up the Beatles Rock Band used for $10
and my friend actually payed me $10 to play Modern Warfare 2
and when you think about it sitting down for 6 hours mechanically shooting the same terrorists in the head and occasionally stopping to go "holy crap those graphics are good" asking for more would have made me sound like a whiny *****

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
orange box definitely, with about 95% of that being TF2. Almost 600 hrs for $20? Hell yes! Fallout 3 GotYE is definitely worth full price, That $50 was the cost of all the DLC originally, plus I didn't have to go through Games for Xbo... er Windows Hell. So I bought it again and gave away my old one. GTA4 at $20 was worth it. Those are the ones that really stand out. Stalker SoC might be, but I play the game wrong and can't get past the first area. I only really regret a few though.

NonyaZ

I'm still not that kind of Orc.
Apr 18, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
NonyaZ said:
Minecraft was worth every cent.
Question. How powerful of a computer to you need for that. Don't bother with specs I don't know what that means. I am able to run Star Craft 2 on lowest settings on my laptop so would I be able to run Minecraft?
Definitely, it's a very low end game but it's a memory whore, if you buy it don't download the .exe, download the .jar and you should encounter fewer, if any, errors.