What games ARE worth the money you paid for them?

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
buddee1 said:
I believe we can all agree that games are a bit overpriced
Disputed

Compared to the prices of books, e-books and video material, I say games are well within the limits of what could be considered fair pricing.

For me, a hardcover book in English costs around 10£, a newly released DVD around 15£ and a game takes the top at around 35£ for PC and 45£ for Consoles.

Usually, I'll be spending a lot more time on a game than I would a DVD, and I've yet to read more than a few books twice.
Movies will usually get several reruns in my home, but games still top the hours-per-£ by far.

So yeah. I have no idea how you could claim such a thing :)

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
For me, at full price, the only games that feel legitimately worthwhile are the longish RPG sort - Oblivion, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 1/2, and Fallout 3. Next up would be action/adventure games with a fair bit of longevity - Darkstalkers, InFamous, and Demon's Souls. Last on the list are straight action games of the 8-10 hour long (or shorter) variety - God of War 3, Batman: AA, and most shooters. I always feel a little regret when I polish off one of these and realize I just spent $8-10 an hour on that entertainment. Not outlandish, but nothing like the mileage you get out of a Bioware or Bethesda game.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Mass Effect: used for about $10. Very worth it.
Mass Effect 2: New for around... $30 or $40, I can't quite remember. Also very worth it.
The Orange Box: Used for $15. Having an introduction to FPS games like this? Priceless.

The only other game I've actually bought for myself was Final Fantasy X... the less said about it, the better.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
L4D2 at the minute.

30 hours in a few weeks, paid £20. Worth full price easily as well. Assassin's Creed 2 as well; I love that game beyond measure.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
TF2 and L4D 1/2.

Bought them for the joint price of 20 euros.

Daamn, talk about bang for your buck.

ShadowofaAirmen

Nov 20, 2009
So far Dragon Age/Fall Out/Mass Effect 1&2 / Dawn of War 40k and all its expansions is a rts i still play and that came out 04 and Final Fantasy Tactics played the hell out of it on the ps1 and now its all i play on my PsP.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Wipeout HD/Fury is the best value for money I've ever had. You get a full game for about half the usual price, and then a super cheap expansion doubles the content! And it's pretty much one of the best racing games I've played.

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
Fallout 3: GOTY Edition

Best $40 ever spent. Too bad my drive is acting up so I can't play anything without my Xbox freezing every couple of minutes.

Glaive_21842

Dec 21, 2009
Modern bliss
Bioshock: Only paid $20! Damn good deal!
Grand theft auto: I think i paid $40 for this, but full price would have been worth it!
Starcraft II: I'm going to be farting around with this game for years!
Mass Effect 1: Another $20 deal! Practically theft ^_^
Mass Effect 2: Full price, totally worth it!
Obliv: Can't remember buying price, would have paid full
Fallout 3: Full price and worth it.

oldschool nostalgia
Zelda-ocarina of time: If i remember right, this game released for around $70. Still worth it!
Soul Calibur 2: Always worth it! If you don't have it, get it. Even if you own SoulCal 4, get #2 anyways.
Final Fantasy VII: We had multiple copies and multiple Sonys for this game >_<.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Never sold for much, and i don't know why. If you have a PSP, get it.

You-do-the-math section
Disgaea 2: $30 and a 130 hours on one file.
Tales of Symphonia: $18 and 170 hours on one file. Best. Deal. Ever.
Tales of the Abyss: $30, 130 hours on one file.
Pokemon Plat: $35 (full price), 95+ hours on one file. Loves me some pokemonz!
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: $35 (full price), 98:25:31 on one file.

Honorable mentions
Nehrim: Obliv full conversion for free. can't get much better than that!
Torchlight: $20 game, is decent. I've had better deals, but those required waiting 3 years >_<

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
dragon age, bioshock, batman arkham asylum, kingdom hearts 1 and 2, pokemon diamond, fallout 3, assassin's creed 2, uncharted 2...cant think of any more but full price for these.
best value would have to be l4d2 on steam for $7 :D

Skobvs

Nov 26, 2009
For me.. Every single Valve game I've ever bought except ricochet (came with that hl1 pack)

Oh and my mates constantly tell me the 98c they spent on TF2 was well worth it.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Diablo 2 was probably the best for the value I payed ever. Got it for $5 off a friend, and I've played it off and on since then, currently back into it.

Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were all definitely worth launch prince to me.