What games do women play?

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
My wife has been playing:

Dragon Age 1 and 2
Mass Effect 1-3
She's played a few other titles here and there, but is into Dragon Age and Mass Effect to the point of writing fan fiction.

Jan 1, 2013
So reading this thread one would conclude women who do not play many types of games prefer RPGs, puzzles and relaxing atmosphere. That's my shtick!
The women that I am friends with seem to like JRPGs, a lot of pokemon especiallym card games and social games. That may be because I met all female gamers I know in JRPG forums, groups, communities, etc.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Silvershadowfire said:
Female age 38 here, and I've been gaming pretty much since I was 16. Lately my games of preference are:
*fist-bump for the Gen X sister*!

Anyhoo...

I never particularly cared for video games growing up, with the exception of developing an obsession for Resident Evil titles when my brother bought a PS1 and introduced me to them (I had a pre-built zombie fixation). Other then that, nothing. Just waiting for new Res Evil games as they came out. I hated or was bored with literally everything else I tried, especially shooters of any kind. Years later a roommate introduced me to L4D, and I loved it, and had an epiphany that I hated single-player shooters, but loved them if I was part of a team and we were all working together.

Later the same roommate introduced me to Fallout 3 (I love retro-future concepts and 50's pop culture). I was so profoundly gripped by the experience that I'v never been able to let go. Games that don't bombard me with opponents constantly? Open world to explore?! I can do whatever I want, and interact with people in various meaningful ways?!? Gaaah!!!! That obsession rolled over into New Vegas, and then Skyrim. In the meantime, I've grown to like playing cooperative shooters with my boyfriend, like Borderlands, Hunted, Red Dead Redemption, etc. But I still get bored or dis-interested if I play them alone. I'm tentatively liking the new Tomb Raider so far, despite some details that are a little irksome.

For games in general:

1.) Don't bombard me with non-stop opponents. Give me something to do other than killing.
2.) Don't make it strictly adversarial. Give me something cooperative or exploration-based.
3.) Don't feed me sexist, objectified garbage and call it a 'character'. It kills my desire instantly.

Meet those criteria and I'll try it! Also, I strongly prefer sniper rifles or bows. Anything to keep distance between myself and the icky and/or evil. Metaphorically speaking.

Insertclevername

Apr 17, 2013
I can't really give a modern example, but my sister (when she would play games) was attracted to primarily Nintendo consoles like SNES and N64(got that one on Christmas of '96). She loved the Sims and Roller coaster Tycoon as well.

So basically Nintendo and casual PC games!

Hoped that helped provide in sight(it probably didn't lol)

Meg Galuardi

Jan 30, 2011
I'm a lady gamer of age 19.
I haven't gotten to play many games recently b/c college, but as soon as I get home my top three will be
1) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (I'm replaying it)
2) Super Paper Mario
3) Saint's Row 2
(But Bioshock Infinite will be up there once I get it)

Why I like the games I like? I like good visuals (read: not good graphics, but artistic games), I like puzzles, and I love sandboxes. I also like games with fun and enjoyable characters.

I don't usually like games from a first person perspective, I can just never get a good handle on the controls. Its like if in real life I had blinders on :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
For what it's worth, my girlfriend has been newly introduced to the world of gaming and she likes the Prince of Persia games the most.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Well, I'm female, recently I've been playing Dark Souls, the Professor Layton series and Civilisation 5.

What's important to me? I like games that say things, like, have a theme and talk about it. So, Spec Ops: The Line, but also more subtle things, Amnesia: The Dark Descent had things to say about the nature of evil and memory and stuff. I just like being made to think.

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
My girlfriend plays video games for about 3-4 hours a day, mostly games on her cellphone; angry birds, draw something 4 pics 1 word etc, 'casual' games most of the time. though she does have a tendency to watch me play single player PC games for hours at a time.

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
20, Female

Last 3 games:
TERA Rising
Bioshock Infinite
Assassin's Creed 3

Been Actively into games since I was 11. but was surrounded by games since I was much younger. First console I had access to was a Sega megadrive, But when I was younger I'd watch my brother play instead.

Basically If a game interests me, I'll play it. Im not awfully picky.

pezwitch

Mar 31, 2009
The last three PC games I played were: World of Warcraft, Witcher 2, and Portal 2.

I like WoW because of the sense of history and community I have with the game. I started playing Orcs and Humans in 1995 while my husband was deployed to Bosnia, so Azaroth has been a part of my life for a long time.

I think Portal 2 is the most perfect game ever created (I am a Valve fangirl), when it was released it was polished with no real glitches. It also has wonderful characters, story and game play. I like to co-op play, but I also like to play the single player challenge levels to try to beat my time and number of portals used.

And I play the Witcher 2 because I love the books and I enjoy the story in the game.

I do not play console games, but I do play iphone games. Lately, it has been The Hatchings by Ferry Halim (Orsinal)because with the sound turned off it is a very unobtrusive game, you can hold it in one hand and tilt your hand to move the hen around the field. I was in a very boring 2 hour meeting at work and this game saved my sanity.

I game because I hate being bored.

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
The last three games I've played are Bioshock Infinite, Garry's Mod, and Minecraft.

The reason I like Bioshock so much is because I always enjoy a game, or a movie or a book or anything really, that has a good story and great characters. I can get past tediousness or poor mechanics (to a point) if the story keeps my attention and the characters are enjoyable. It's also the reason I liked the original Bioshock so much.

I play Garry's Mod and Minecraft because I like the free creativity. I can engineer things in Garry's Mod, and also play games with friends. I use Minecraft, not usually to play with friends, but to relax and be free, and also to build.

21 year old female, holy crap I'm old.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Everyone knows the womenfolk only ever play Wii Fit, Jewel Quest, Farmville or Barbie: Magical Shopping Adventure.

Seriously though, Every girl I've known to play video games has pretty much played the same things I do (Sidescrollers, Jrpgs, adventure games, etc.) My last GF actually had a penchant for Black Ops that I did not share.

Using her as an example, I can say the last three she probably played were Black Ops, Bioshock 1 and Laura Croft: Temple of Light.

She's 21.

I'm fairly certain she liked games with a co-op aspect or games that were suspenseful.

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
Lady here, 22 (I don't know how much personal data you need)

Favorites:
1) Elder scrolls (III-V)
2) The Legend of Zelda (enjoyed all of the ones on consoles- haven't played many of the handheld titles)
3) Mass Effect 1 and 2 and 3's multi-player

I usually prefer single player games that are in fantasy settings. I love RPGS and greatly enjoy action adventure.
I tend to dislike MMO's, I have enough errands to run in one day.

Hope this helps

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Dr.A said:
The last three games I've played are Bioshock Infinite, Garry's Mod, and Minecraft.

21 year old female, holy crap I'm old.
*rolls eyes*

No.

Just warped in perception, or tactless with regard to older women here, or openly ageist. Only you know which.

DaphneRose

Apr 30, 2011
What up, lady here.

I'm playing

o Bioshock Infinite
o Agarest War Zero
o Call of Duty
o Walking Dead (that point and click adventure, considering giving the other one another try but it ain't great)

Sometimes I'll slip to

o Borderlands II
o Halo 4

And when i'm online I like to play games like

o Time management sims / tycoons
o Training sims like pokemon, mmo style.
o Just random stuff on kongregate

I guess... favorite-wise...

o Mass Effect / Fallout
o Shin Megami Tensei / Persona stuff
o CoD ( nothing better to pick up for fifteen minuets before class or work, you know? )

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
My sister likes
Halo
Gears Of War
Heavy Rain
Animal Crossing
a lot of dancing games
and most recently Bioshock Infinite
That's just off the top of my head.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
spklvr said:
Tilted_Logic said:
Mass Effect 3
Sims 3 (yeah, I have my moments!)
Star Wars: The Old Republic.

22 Female, and I'll say there are a variety of things I like in a game; what I want depends on how I'm feeling at that moment. Most of the time I enjoy story based games, and I'm a huge fan of first/third person shooters. Sims is just an odd habit of mine when I'm not feeling the urge to play something that requires serious focus/skill. A relaxing game.
Hey! Don't feel embarrassed about liking Sims 3. If spending every night for three months building a neighborhood from scratch isn't hardcore gaming, I don't know what is :p On that note, I love "hardcore" games as well, such as Bioshock and Skyrim and InFamous and Silent Hill and all that crap, but "casual" games like the sims do not get enough credit. It requires a huge amount of creativity and imagination, at the same time as it is just relaxing and fun. Totally off topic, but I love this game, and have played it most of my life. I get why people don't enjoy it, but enjoying casual games shouldn't mean you can't enjoy "real" games.
I wish I had that devotion! I've wanted to make my own neighborhood for a while now, but I find it takes me ages to actually make decent houses. Furnishing is the worst if I have to do more than one room at a time xD I think the reason I don't generally tell people about the sims is because in such a competitive male-dominated environment, I feel I'll fall under the 'casual gamer, probably can't shoot' assumption. It's definitely my secret addiction though. I miss the Sims 2!

My early interest in games though certainly came from watching my father play the original Half Life way back when. Definitely had a great variety of racing/platformers/puzzlers growing up, but shooters/story driven games have always been my favorite!

ALK2330

Jul 4, 2010
Hello! I'm 22 and a female and have been playing FTL a lot lately. I split Injustice: Gods Among us with my boyfriend and we have been playing that as well. In general, I prefer turn-based (PC) games. I like Civilization V a lot as well. I have logged so many hours playing Civ V that I wish Steam did not constantly inform me about them.

Lego Batman 2 on the PS3 (my boyfriend's) has also been taking up a lot of time recently. Collect all of the things! (I know that's four, but we only recently got Injustice...But you can probably just count Injustice. Sorry for breaking your statistics)

The most important thing for me is fun, basically. I find different games fun for different reasons, obviously. FTL is quite unique, which is fun, Civ V is all about conquering and planning (also just my opinion), Minecraft is open-world goodness...My reasons for finding/defining games as "fun" differs quite widely, but these are my opinions, so I suppose that's alright.

Good on you for doing a presentation about girls and gaming. Hope it goes well.

Cheers!

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Almost 23 and female and I just played through bioshock infinite, but the only other shooter I play currently is warframe, even I would like to finish borderlands 2 properly sometimes.
Besides that I often play League of legends with friends. I play the sims 3, even not as often as I used to. I certainly loved portal, portal2 and especially portal2s coop with my bf. We play lots of terraria together aswell.
I played wow for a while, tried lots of other mmorpgs but currently installed is only guild wars 2.
Thats for Pc games, but I still love to replay Luigis Mansion on my Wii and the Metroid triology is very good for otherwise boring days, even Metroid other M is my favorite Wii game that I known.

I guess I like to play together with friends. It takes a game with a good handling and an interessting story to get me to play alone.

Usually my gender doesnt play much of a role, but for BSI some scenes with playing booker were weird. The sometimes occuring oversexualization of female characters certainly bothers me, I notice it in LoL and I almost didnt try tera because of that, but a good game doesnt get dismissed only because of that (maybe if its too extreme...).