What games stand the test of time?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Sim City
Harvest Moon

Both proving that you can make a game about anything and if it is designed well, will be fun.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
I think "standing the test of time" should mean that the game is in the decade or console generation old range. Half-life 2 (the Orange Box and such), is hardly an old game. Some games I think do hold up well are the Timesplitters games, the original Jak and Daxter, Super Mario World, Mario Kart in its first two iterations, and Mutant League Football.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Mech Warrior
Super Smash Bros
Super Smash Bros Melee
Any early Pokemon games
Morrowind
Portal.....probably
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie
Super Marios from 1 - 64
God Of War 1&2
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 1-4
Final Fantasy VII, and personally X
Deus Ex....apparently, never played it.
Annnnd Guitar Hero 2. The only good one released. GH3 is arguably alright, but its songs are meh

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
thiosk said:
Thomas-101 said:
I know that this is not the most original thread and has probably been done quite a lot but since this weeks issue is about 'Time' I thought it would be an idea to create this thread. For me the 2 game that stand the test of time would be the Orange Box and Warcraft 3 (RoC + FT) they may not be the oldest games but they realy stand out above other games when I play them.

Whats your opinion?
These games are so young!!!!!

Super metroid has stood and will stand this test.

Same with Galaga.
Disregarding everything else in the two posts, EXCEPT the Galaga comment. Great game that I can play at the drop of a hat and still have fun with.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
thiosk said:
Thomas-101 said:
I know that this is not the most original thread and has probably been done quite a lot but since this weeks issue is about 'Time' I thought it would be an idea to create this thread. For me the 2 game that stand the test of time would be the Orange Box and Warcraft 3 (RoC + FT) they may not be the oldest games but they realy stand out above other games when I play them.

Whats your opinion?
These games are so young!!!!!

Super metroid has stood and will stand this test.

Same with Galaga.
I did say that these games are not old but neither am I (15 years old) I can't pick older games because I didn't play them much or at all. I still agree with your games and they definately stand the test.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
Tetris should go at the top of the list I think.

... and PONG! (which is like the second game that classified as a video game)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Baldur's Gate 2. That game looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and plays well even today.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Heroes of Might and Magic
Warcraft II
Contra III: The Alien Wars
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Tie Fighter

I better stop there. I could go on all day about awesome games from "back in the day".

CorpseCryAngelfall

Aug 25, 2009
Custer's Revenge... *Shudders* I feel as if I'm being punished by a god of gaming for even suggesting the notion

But in all seriousness, if it ever got widespread attention I would say Legend of Dragoon, it does for me.

And... While it kills me to say it as I didn't like it that much... Zelda: Ocarina of Time probably will.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
Also, games can't stand up to the test of time if they haven't even started it yet!
GH2? Orange Box? God of War? My nephew has played MUCH older games, and he's 9.

I am Spy

Dec 14, 2008
Banjo Kazooie and Warcraft III spring to mind. The former obviously being the greatest game ever created.

Zelurien

Apr 15, 2009
killer-corkonian said:
Well OBVIOUSLY the Monkey Island series.
Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Also I still own my snes just to play Super Mario World.
Unreal tournament - still oodles of flak cannon fun.