What games stand the test of time?

Skutch

Jul 21, 2009
Thomas-101 said:
I know that this is not the most original thread and has probably been done quite a lot but since this weeks issue is about 'Time' I thought it would be an idea to create this thread. For me the 2 game that stand the test of time would be the Orange Box and Warcraft 3 (RoC + FT) they may not be the oldest games but they realy stand out above other games when I play them.

Whats your opinion?
Your best examples are games less than 10 years old? That's hardly a test of time. Hell, they still hold WC3 tournaments.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
From the games I have played, I will say that Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Banjo Kazooie, Silent Hill 2 and more but I can't remember them now.

Oh and StarCraft! I finally got to play it this week and was saddened by the fact that it is still better than most RTS games today.

Skutch

Jul 21, 2009
PacMan
Space Invaders
Asteroids
Half Life
StarCraft
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy VII and Tactics
Monkey Island
Diablo II
TRON (even though it's easy once you know the patterns)
Super Metroid
Metal Slug
The Legend of Zelda

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Skutch said:
Thomas-101 said:
I know that this is not the most original thread and has probably been done quite a lot but since this weeks issue is about 'Time' I thought it would be an idea to create this thread. For me the 2 game that stand the test of time would be the Orange Box and Warcraft 3 (RoC + FT) they may not be the oldest games but they realy stand out above other games when I play them.

Whats your opinion?
Your best examples are games less than 10 years old? That's hardly a test of time. Hell, they still hold WC3 tournaments.
They still hold StarCraft tournaments as well and that game is more than 10 years old.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Metroid Prime. It didnt only convert a series into 3d, it redefined it in a way that no other series has done.

MrRoiBoi

Jul 29, 2009
rock paper scissors, i spy, no seriously, ignoring my avatar, I would say link to the past can still be enjoyed, the sprite icons age better than early 3D attempts and the gameplay has charm

Skutch

Jul 21, 2009
Thunderhorse94 said:
Skutch said:
Thomas-101 said:

Whats your opinion?
They still hold StarCraft tournaments as well and that game is more than 10 years old.
Right, so obviously StarCraft can reasonably be said to have stood the test of time.

Dread Pirate Pete

Aug 26, 2009
Mech Warrior 4 and its expansions are still great in my opinion. Sacrifce is still a winner. Police Quest 2, absoulut classic and still so fun (if unforgiving) today, plus you will never forget the first time you draw your gun in the office for no reason and you get the message 'You clear leather at record speed then wonder to yourself... Why?' or the first time you hit F11 (fire gun) before you hit F10 (draw gun) and get the message 'You feel a sharp pain in your leg, in the few seconds before you pass out you realise your mistake'.

Dread Pirate Pete

Aug 26, 2009
Oh and of course morrowind, still probably the RPG ever beats oblivion on everything except graphics. Homeworld is also still fun as is GTA Vice City still by far the best in the GTA series.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Psycho flippin' nauts,
Monkey Island (Hell Most adventure games from those guys)
and the ever so graceful Blood Bowl, arguably it gets updated, and arguably it's not a videogame,
but damn it's fun.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
EcoEclipse said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Earthbound. Just as good as it was back in '94.
The modern setting, quirky and hilarious characters, and ingenious battles are more than enough enticement to draw you back for more.
I'm going to one-up you and say the entire Mother trilogy.
Grr! Well played Eclipse..
Mother on the Famicom was pretty Good but I dont consider three to be old enough to judge under these terms. But still, I do agree.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
baldur's gate 2 (2000)
fallout 1, 2 (97, 98)
homeworld (99)
starcraft (98)

These games aren't too much of an eye-sore by modern standards and they still offer gameplay that newer games cannot match.

UnwishedGunz

Apr 24, 2009
D_987 said:
Super Mario 64 and the original Pokemon games...
super mario is the correct answer to your question they are now just making a 4-player one it should be great

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
I think the original metal gear solid on ps1 still holds its own. i still play it now, even above my ps3 games