What Grade is Your Content Comprehension?

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
I really liked the article - I just love to learn something unexpected as that (I mean, reading compreension on a gaming site, who 'd have tought of that?). I really don't have much to add on the topic (everybody loves ZP and all that, that's for sure).
Anyway, a little off-topic, but I can't stop wondering know: could that logic be aplied to gaming too? I mean, some people like sports games, some just like web-based puzzles,, and some play MMORPGS complex as hell and despise everything else...
What do you think?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Goremocker said:
I truly have no idea what level my reading comprehension is,but I'm pretty sure it's higher than 9th grade. Mostly due to the fact that...wait...I can't back up that claim at all. Oh well, at least I understand nearly all of the jokes on ZP...I think...
Even the one about unicycle-riding bears and Proust? Pah, I think not.

medicvalues

May 11, 2010
how come when i talk to people that actually play games i dont mean just halo and stuff they seem to be alot more intellective and i really really REALLY hate talking to someone that does not know that much

edit: really zp is that high. is it really that hard to understand what he is saying i like it quite alot

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
First off, I really enjoyed this article. The topic was something I've never really given much thought to, but it does reaffirm my belief that we need to speak more plainly when it comes to conveying information. There is nothing lost in translation when using common words.

I find that many academics almost subconsciously try and speak above others to avoid having the "less educated" successfully challenge their points of view. I wonder how short most debates would become if people just used more conventional language.

With all media, there is a target audience in mind. The broader the audience, the more "accessible" the content needs to be. When it comes to conveying information, there shouldn't be any argument against simplicity (accessibility), but when it's purely for entertainment purposes, then it can be whatever it wants to be. What one person finds entertaining compared to the next is completely subjective.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
My main thing is this. It's great to be well educated and read but if your readers are having to consult a dictionary every five minutes then your going to lose them. I'm not saying that you should dumb things down to level of a kids book but you should know your audiance. If your trying to appeal to fans of 1st person shooters then you shouldn't write like your teaching a 400 level course...I'm not saying people who like FPS's are stupid, i'm just saying don't assume their all college grads.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
Zedzero said:
Divine Miss Bee said:
well, my reading level has been tested at around 20.7, so very little goes over my head when it comes to comprehension. that doesn't mean i don't enjoy some of the lower-level stuff. sometimes i just don't feel like thinking that hard, which is something i don't think your researchers take into account.

also, ZP owns at smart and dumb humor!
-looks at your Grammar-...20.7 eh....

My writing varies my word basically tells me the level it is written at it varies around grade 9-11, even though I'm grade 12 so meh, I still get 80s so why should I care?
you're mocking MY grammar, mr. run-on-sentence-with-an-otherwise-independent-clause-ending-in-a-preposition? lol-nice.

(you're probably on about my lack of capitalization, which has nothing to do with my grammar-it's the online equivalent to speaking softly, as i do in real life.)

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
JaredXE said:
Huh, I've read Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and I understood it. I also haven't finished college yet, so that index is wrong.

Or I'm reeeaaaalllllyyy smart. One of those two.

And yes, Yahtzee is a big literary fag. And I appreciate that because I am a literary fag too. So of course his ZP bits are entertaining, especially to those who get all his jokes and aren't laughing because the british man is talking funny.
My father wrote about that book while at Staff College in the UK. I read it in college too. It is a fantastic book and well worth the read. Unlike the majority of media products these days.

Oh, and on a side note. Does this mean Fox news in written in 4th grade? I bet MSNBC just has to be a little better than them, that means it has to be a 5th grade at least.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Good article, even if it makes me a tiny bit sad inside to know that we've been purposefully dumbing ourselves down. I don't consider myself a snob in the context of the article because I consume both high and low end media, but I also am aware of making the switch. Sometimes I'll throw in Twelve Angry Men to make my brain happy, and other times I'll put in Transformers because I want to watch shit blow up, completely aware of what I'm getting.

The point about music appreciation was also very interesting because it made me realize that's something I do without really being aware of it--which most likely stems from ten plus years of playing in an orchestra. But again, my playlist probably has just as much Bach as it does Lady Gaga. Well. Maybe slightly more Bach.

I guess it's like comparing a twinkie to a fine pastry. You know that the twinkie isn't as good, but sometimes all you want is a quick hit of sugar. It seems the majority of people right now are twinkie junkies.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
But... what if I'm a toilet humor snob?

Is there even such a thing as a 14th level poop joke?
There are many examples of 14th level dick jokes in English Literature.

OT: Proud to be a snob. You can tell a lot about a person by the language they use.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
JaredXE said:
Huh, I've read Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and I understood it. I also haven't finished college yet, so that index is wrong.

Or I'm reeeaaaalllllyyy smart. One of those two.
HAX!
I tell you, it has to be hacks!

kastanok

Mar 20, 2009
Greater elitism (without being pricks) for a better world. Flesch and Gunning had it the wrong way around - don't lower your work to suit the lowest minded consumer, demand that the consumer elevate themselves to the world around them. If they're too stupid to understand the best content around, well tough titty.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Archon said:
And this passage I wrote recently in my Check for Traps column - "Rules, in a tabletop RPG, are ultimately about what philosophers call action, where 'action' means intentional effects caused by an agent. It is the rules that dictate the results of action, and thus define the relationship between a player's choices and the consequence he experiences" - well, this passage had a Gunning-Fog Index of 14.40, or 15th grade.
And now we come to the fulcrum of your argument, the pivotal point of your vexing. You just desired to vocalize your outstanding knowledge of syntax and diction through means of a fabricated article into the illiteracy of contemporary media outlets.

OH SNAP, I just ran my last sentence through the Gunning-Fox calculator, it only got a 14.05! Shit man, you are smarter than me.

This could be a very fun little game ¬_¬

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Funnily enough a bookshop to which I am quite partial has a vintage set of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. It is something I would very much like to own once I have the income to justify it.

I am by no means an Oxbridge scholar, but I am familiar with the aforementioned indexes and I was brought up with English comprehension as a top priority in my education. When one is brought up on a steady diet of English history textbooks and literature (Chaucer, Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare etc), one does develop an appreciation for the astonishing level of sophistication with which our language can be employed. There is a commensurate disdain for those who treat this same language with something approaching active contempt.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
to answer the questions asked. No, No, Yes, and Yes. Its always about the codpiece! wait...

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
<--- 14+ reading comprehension yay :D

Hurr Durr Derp said:

oh god, i hope so

OT: ummm... i want a high comprehension level poop joke :D

OT for real this time: interesting read, i wish we still had lvl 12 news articles

i dont like childrens books being a more interesting read then professional news outlets

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I liked this article. It called me intelligent several times.

Which leads me to believe it may contain errors.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:

I've no idea how you'd measure it, but the closest I can think of is "What do you say to a moribund copraphage?"

Barbari Damnati

Nov 22, 2009
When it comes to 'dumbing down' of news media, I can understand the point in terms of getting factual information and possible repurcussions across to the general public. What is worrying about it is corporations *shakes fist* MURDOCH! dumbing down and directing their analysis in such a way as to emphasise excessively one specific bias, regardless of factual basis.

That aside, I'm intrigued by the rating given for ZP (and other columns) as I usually find them to be more cmprehensible than other supposedly lower rated pieces - but I think that comes down to the standard of English used. A fluidly written work will always read more effectively than anything that causes the reader to stop and start - this is why physics papers use citation marks and flowing prose rather than constantly interrupt an already complex text. Infact, many scientific texts are written to a level that, aside from jargon, reads very easily to any audience. ZP seems to be analogous, in that provided you understand the jargon, or context, of the 'higher grade' jokes then you will get them. By comparison, I know a few 'student comics' that most would find boring and of no humourous value, yet with the right audience are hilarious - they use very complex language forms, but their delivery of them is poor as it stops and starts, meaning that even when they spell out where the joke is coming from (i.e. it's a pun of a peculiar terming) those without a prior knowledge will struggle to laugh.

My point? Well, what is it that seperates ZP, scientific articles and my student friends from each other? Aside from scientific journal articles usually being of a definite, non-comic value*, they and ZP effectively communicate an idea, whereas those students cutting their stand-up teeth are finding out how poorly they communicate their ideas. So really, shouldn't the grading system be based around the fluidity and function of the language used, rather than the expanse, or lack thereof, of flowery, thesaurus-trawling pompousity found in a piece? As far as I was aware, it is your ability to communicate that is measured in the classroom, not your ability to quickly look up a synonym.

Incidentally, I suppose I have yet to post any actual opinion on why ZP works, and what I think of the site and my own ability to understand it.
I like ZP. It's why I'm on the Escapist. I also like Yahtzee's occassional changes in style that seem to so rile the comment boards after - if he didn't bother, then the show would be far too formulaic and repetitive to have any longevity. Admittedly, I don't always understand the jokes but it encourages me to look up whatever was referenced - once I have the context, I get a good chuckle out of it. I'm not sure I understand what others have called 'laughing at his Britishness' but I suppose I shouldn't being his kin. That said, it certainly seems to help me avoid the bileful hate spilled out by those offended or angered by one small phrase here or there, as well as further appreciate the colloquial jokes^ so often used. Beyond that, Yahtzee certainly uses accessible comedy, everyone loves a knob gag after all, but thankfully doesn't rely on it and build comedy out of convoluted and excessive similie and metaphor to insult and degrade its subject matter, which is incidentally a rather Shakespearian comedy form.
As for the rest of the site, I enjoy reading the articles, despite rarely having a full interest in the games being reviewed or even the politics being discussed, so I can only assume that this is down to what is so vaguely termed 'good writing'.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
*although if you've heard of the Ig-Nobel awards you might think otherwise
^Ah, the wonders of the Branston Pickle gags

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:

At that point, wouldn't it just be "defecation satire"?