what happened to doctors?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
and espesially that hippocratic oath? it seems that in the last few years its been added in "as long as the patient can afford it".

i ask this for two occurances that happened around me

the first was my brothers girlfriends mothers boyfriend(confusing right?) was coughing up blood, the doctor turned him away because they dont accept his insurance, didnt even look at him, just asked him what insurance he had, he told them and they told him to get out. he was dead later that day.

a few years earlier my mom had heart problems, she couldnt breathe so they called an amulance at her work. both my mom and my dad said take her to her doctor. turns out the ambulance works for another hospital and took her there instead. they took care of her but then they told her that her insurance wasnt welcome there, so they kicked her out then sued our family for the bill and service. luckily the judge threw it out due to the fact that the ambulance didnt follow her directions and therefore endangered her life(or something along those lines).

where are the leorios? the tony tony choppers? the derek stiles?* i know doctors have mouths to feed, but wouldnt you want to bring more people in than turn them away, thus bringing in more patients and money, instead of a bad reputation? and i dont think free clinics cover heart problems and coughing up blood

*cookie if you can name all 3 series these people are from

Dec 14, 2009
America. Land of the Free (as long as you have money).

It's ridiculous that a first world country exists without a national health system, but I suppose that's what happens when corporations have such a huge influence.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Privatised health run for profit, that's what happened

The concept of money will always result in profit before people

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Well, a quick look on your profile and it says it all. American health care is in the crappers, insurance for this an insurance for that. We have free health care here, and well, it's free.

My dad collapsed 4 weeks ago, took him to the hospital, cancer down the sides of his throat. They put him in fake coma, operated away the cancer, transplanted some skin to his throat to cover it up. He stayed there for 3 weeks, in coma. Free of charge for him.

Tax payers money at it's best right there.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Well, perhaps you should change your awful health care?
A healthy Swede sends his regards.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Y'all seem to forget a national healthcare system would infringe on a persons God given right to individualism. That's why the USA doesn't tax its citizens and has no welfare system.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

It's ridiculous that a first world country exists without a national health system, but I suppose that's what happens when corporations have such a huge influence.
You say that but us Brits may lose our National Health System too. Thanks Cameron. It's as V always said, "The people shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear the people" and taking the NHS away will only strike a match to kindling. Note: The riots. Keep taking from people that can't afford it and they will bite back. Hard.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Capitalism. Hold the moderation and it is insane. Apparently if your dad has a heart attack his tax dollars WOULD have gone to his survival... Had this been any other country.

We apparently(by word of our politicians) don't want our taxes to keep us alive we want them to go to bombing brown people.(cookie to reference getters)
it was my mom, my dad told the ambulance to take her to her hospital

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Thank Goodness the UK has the NHS.

Also, just how good are the free clinics and free services in America? I was having a discussion with a guy about whether America should nationalise health insurance a while ago, and his answer was that
(a) the free health clinics were adaquate for looking after those who couldn't afford health care
(b) America's privatised hospitals were amazing, and apparently the WHO's ranking system for healthcare was biassed and crap http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html (he was in the medical profession and had worked in Italy, who are listed as second, and gave several links showing large failings in their Nationalised system)

Dec 14, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Y'all seem to forget a national healthcare system would infringe on a persons God given right to individualism. That's why the USA doesn't tax its citizens and has no welfare system.

Well the system you have at the moment seems to infringe on a far more important 'right'.

You know, the right not to die because you don't have insurance.

Dec 14, 2009
Kekkles said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You say that but us Brits may lose our National Health System too. Thanks Cameron. It's as V always said, "The people shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear the people" and taking the NHS away will only strike a match to kindling. Note: The riots. Keep taking from people that can't afford it and they will bite back. Hard.
I doubt the Tories would take away the NHS. They'll fuck us over in other ways, but the NHS is, like you said, a trigger for more riots.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
AndyFromMonday said:

Well the system you have at the moment seems to infringe on a far more important 'right'.

I was being sarcastic. Also, I'm not American. Of course I'm against insurance based healthcare systems, what person in their right mind wouldn't be? If you're willing to pay money in order to have roads there is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be willing to pay money to have universal healthcare.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Becoming a doctors takes an insane amount of time/money/effort and the earnings have been reduced gravely in the last years.

Yes a lot of doctors drive around in big fancy cars. But how old are they?
Old.

The vast majority of young doctors today has a huge pile of debt to pay off before they can even thing about treating patiens for free.

Just with every other profession on the planet, becoming a doctor does not make you a saind or imprevious to debt.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Thank Goodness the UK has the NHS.

Also, just how good are the free clinics and free services in America? I was having a discussion with a guy about whether America should nationalise health insurance a while ago, and his answer was that
(a) the free health clinics were adaquate for looking after those who couldn't afford health care
(b) America's privatised hospitals were amazing, and apparently the WHO's ranking system for healthcare was biassed and crap http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html (he was in the medical profession and had worked in Italy, who are listed as second, and gave several links showing large failings in their Nationalised system)
the free clinics make the hospitals in silent hill seem sanitary, you get more diseases going in than you initially went in for

RaikuFA said:
Capitalism. Hold the moderation and it is insane. Apparently if your dad has a heart attack his tax dollars WOULD have gone to his survival... Had this been any other country.

We apparently(by word of our politicians) don't want our taxes to keep us alive we want them to go to bombing brown people.(cookie to reference getters)
it was my mom, my dad told the ambulance to take her to her hospital
I was referring to my dads heart attack from 2 years back not your story.
oh. thats me derping

Exterminas said:
Becoming a doctors takes an insane amount of time/money/effort and the earnings have been reduced gravely in the last years.

Yes a lot of doctors drive around in big fancy cars. But how old are they?
Old.

The vast majority of young doctors today has a huge pile of debt to pay off before they can even thing about treating patiens for free.

Just with every other profession on the planet, becoming a doctor does not make you a saind or imprevious to debt.
nor should it give you the right to say "i wont take care of you unless we can accept your insurance. and i wont tell you what insurance we take. trust me, you cant afford it."

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:
and espesially that hippocratic oath? it seems that in the last few years its been added in "as long as the patient can afford it".

i ask this for two occurances that happened around me

the first was my brothers girlfriends mothers boyfriend(confusing right?) was coughing up blood, the doctor turned him away because they dont accept his insurance, didnt even look at him, just asked him what insurance he had, he told them and they told him to get out. he was dead later that day.

a few years earlier my mom had heart problems, she couldnt breathe so they called an amulance at her work. both my mom and my dad said take her to her doctor. turns out the ambulance works for another hospital and took her there instead. they took care of her but then they told her that her insurance wasnt welcome there, so they kicked her out then sued our family for the bill and service. luckily the judge threw it out due to the fact that the ambulance didnt follow her directions and therefore endangered her life(or something along those lines).

where are the leorios? the tony tony choppers? the derek stiles?* i know doctors have mouths to feed, but wouldnt you want to bring more people in than turn them away, thus bringing in more patients and money, instead of a bad reputation? and i dont think free clinics cover heart problems and coughing up blood

*cookie if you can name all 3 series these people are from
Thank god the system in Australia is different, over here its patients above $ as its government funded (private health cover is avaliable, but not required).

Dec 14, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Daystar Clarion said:
AndyFromMonday said:

I was being sarcastic. Also, I'm not American. Of course I'm against insurance based healthcare systems, what person in their right mind wouldn't be? If you're willing to pay money in order to have roads there is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be willing to pay money to have universal healthcare.
Ah, I apologise then.

As you were, nothing to see here.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Kekkles said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I doubt the Tories would take away the NHS. They'll fuck us over in other ways, but the NHS is, like you said, a trigger for more riots.
There has already been cuts around the NHS, being staff/resources and Cameron is getting massive pay-offs from Private Doctoring companies so it may be another case of "Well, I have private doctoring and I'm fine." By good ol' spoon-fed Cameron. Though if Cleggy had any backbone maybe we'd have had some kind of balance in our party.

Off Topic: What I really want to know is the opinion on Americans getting NHS (as there has been rumours), whether they want it or not as well as their direct opinion on the way the NHS works? It's interesting, very interesting.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

This. Love it when a first post gets it XD Not that it was hard to get...

But of course, a nationalised health-care system murders old ladies and cripples - if Stephen Hawking was British, the NHS would have left him to die! (yes, that was a line used in the States vs Obama's proposals for reform. Yes, Stephen Hawking is British.)