What Has Your Country Ever Done For Us?!

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The US, so an absolute fuckton of useful things.

We've fucked up a lot of things, but it would be silly to suggest that we haven't given the world an awful lot of great stuff too.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Well, from the United States, we have...
Swimming fins
Franklin Stove
Mail Order
Lightning Rod
Armonica
Swivel Chair
Bifocals
Automatic Flour Mill
Crackers
Cotton Gin
Rumford Fireplace
Cupcakes
Suspension Bridge
Fire hydrant
Amphibious Vehicles
Coffee Percolator
Lobster Trap
Circular Saw
Dental Floss
Milling Machine
Graham Crackers
Electric Doorbell
Morse Code
Sewing Machine
Combine Harvester
Steam Shovel
Wrench
Solar Compass
Gridiron (cooking)
Circuit Breaker
Corn Shelter
Vulcanized Rubber
Anesthesia
Ice Cream Maker
Rotary Printing Press
Pressure Sensitive Tape
Baseball
Printing Telegraph
Ring Shaped Doughnuts
Pin Tumbler Lock
Jackhammer
Safety Pins
Gas Mask
Fire Alarm Box
Elevator Brake
Potato Chips (or "crisps")
Clothespin
Toilet paper (You're welcome)
Pepper Shaker
Monkey Wrench
Pencil Eraser
Ironing Board
Burglar Alarm
Electric Stove
Escalators
Vacuum Cleaner
Repeating Rifles
Jellybeans
Postcards
Hand-Cranked Machine Guns
Cereal
Socket Wrench
Urinal
Motorcycles
Paper Clip
Barbed Wire
Pipe Wrench
Feather Duster
Jeans
Earmuffs
Sporks
Ice Cream Soda
QWERTY Keyboard layout
Synthesizers
Tattoo Machine
Phonograph
Cash Register
Electric Chair
Metal Detector
Solar Cell
Thermostat
Machine Gun (Non-Hand-Cranked)
Photographic Film
Dishwasher
Screen Door
Slot Machines
Drinking straw
Payphone

All of that is prior to 1890.

Don't make fun of my country.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
What has The US done for the world? hm... yep, its too large to list.

OH, I know. We gave you emoticons. Courtesy of Pittsburgh. You can go ahead and say thats not significant, but really, consider it. just go ahead, consider it. How many of you have ever actually used one? cause if you have, You are very welcome.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Colonised the country you're most likely in if your speak English...

Though that did involve a lot of murder ._.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
ScramJets.

Boomerangs.

AFL.

Hilltop Hoods.

Parkway Drive.

I Killed the Prom Queen.

:)

Advances in Melanoma and other Cancer research.

Good Beaches.

ANZAC Biscuits (That might have been a Kiwi though, but you can't have ANZAC without Australia).

LA Niore.

Vegemite.

Damper.

The best Beef out.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
coolkirb said:
Canada
-blackberry
-Telephone
-the zipper
-the Canadarm
-isulin
-the eltron microscope
-Time Zones
and much much more
Basketball.

It was made in America, but it was done so by a Canadian.

Enamour

Nov 30, 2010
Warforger said:
Enamour said:
A debatable contribution was the war in Angola against the communists.
Wait what? At the time the South African government was WORSE then the Communists in Angola! And the Communists still won anyway so I don't see why that's debatable.
Ok, let's start at a point. It's than, not then. South Africa was a racist state, not an oppressive state though there was oppression as well but there's a significant difference warranting the definition between racist and oppressive. It was similar to what Israel is today, very similar.

Also, the communists won nothing,they sustained grievous losses, I'm talking about tens of thousands versus singular thousands on the opposing side. They didn't win you ignoramus, no one won. I bet you don't know about Botswana or Namibia or the 27 year civil war following the SA army's pull out. I bet you don't know about the political pressures that ended apartheid do you?

Let me summarize it for you. The US protected South Africa and Israel by vetoing every bill the UN proposed that would have damaged those governments. The US threatened the apartheid regime with sanctions if they didn't fight the communists in Angola. Each time the US pulled some bullshit like refusing to provide anti-Mig weapons the government of the time got a little more resentful. The SA government refused to pull out for a long time because of the unstable political atmosphere; the same reasons the US aren't pulling out of Iraq today but who the fuck cared about Angola?

Eventually the SA government said Fuck You to the Americans and suddenly a bunch of sanctions went through when South Africa continued to protect Namibian and Botswana borders from the communists(something the US did not want); these sanctions were one of the big reasons that apartheid ended. But this ONLY happened after the US had been vetoing bills for more than a decade.

So let's look at this again. The US, uncaring, left an unstable Angola(millions died in the resulting civil war), refused to help an ally fight a US conflict and prolonged the lifespan of a racist regime; helping to end it only after it rebelled against its bullshit.

I labelled it a debatable contribution because the only thing that no one cared about was the lives of millions of Angolans. But hey, communists died as well so that justifies everything.

tl;dr Don't be an ignorant twat. There's more to history than America is the good guy and anyone who opposes it is the bad guy.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
America made a terrible new Top Gear which I imagine made many people appreciate the real Top Gear and enjoy it more.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
What has America done for the world?

Now, I'll start out by saying that this is nothing personal but this thread has started to get on my nerves on one specific detail and your post just happened to be the last one I read before deciding to comment on it. Sorry if you take offense to this, that's not how it's meant.

America is NOT a country!
The United States of America, the USA or US for short, is a country but it has never been named America.
America is the two continents, upon the north of which, the US is located.

I know it seems petty to react like this on such a trivial thing, but it bugs me.

Again, nothing personal to you emeraldafael your post was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
We punched Hitler in DA FACE.

Look! Photographic proof!

NerdElf

Jun 28, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romanian_inventors_and_discoverers

Edited my post. Here is the complete list, acording to wikipedia. Enjoy.
In the list you will not find Transylvania, because it's not a person, it's a place sheltering all the cool vampires. Not the gay fayries.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
thiosk said:
sorry to ruin your pick nick, but i do think the submarine was actually a dutch invention.
While a dutchman did indeed build the first boat that went underwater, leave it to 'Merica to first use it to blow up some bitches.[/quote]

heh. i would not have had it any other way ;) triggerhappy mericans. just the way they should be ^^

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
tokae said:
emeraldrafael said:
What has America done for the world?

Now, I'll start out by saying that this is nothing personal but this thread has started to get on my nerves on one specific detail and your post just happened to be the last one I read before deciding to comment on it. Sorry if you take offense to this, that's not how it's meant.

America is NOT a country!
The United States of America, the USA or US for short, is a country but it has never been named America.
America is the two continents, upon the north of which, the US is located.

I know it seems petty to react like this on such a trivial thing, but it bugs me.

Again, nothing personal to you emeraldafael your post was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
your avy is so appropriate for this comment.

and yeah, thats the story of my life.

And thats fine. I should get out of the habit of that, I'll admit it. I'll edit the post.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I'm not a fan of this entire "patiotism" thing so I don't believe that a country could've given the world anything. Therefore we need to specify the matter. Let's talk about individuals with said nationality that had done something for the world. the country itself is not being given any credit for this.

so there was this guy who invented parachute (?tefan Banič), the person who came up with Krav Maga (the military martial art) was also born in here and so were the parents of Andy Warhol (although they were a different nationality- Rusinian, I reckon. And Andy himself never even visited the country.)