What have you been playing lately?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I'm about 27 hours into Front Mission 4. Finally got around to actually playing it having owned it for many years. It is pretty good but sometimes the length of the battles can be a bit overwhelming. Therefore on the side I started up Legaia 2 Duel Saga. A lot of people say negative things about it. However, I loved Legend of Legaia so I'm hoping I will enjoy this title as well.

So what about you? Also instead of just listing a few games tell us a little bit about it if you can.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend - It's a fighting game with a very... interesting cast of characters and a hilarious/charming/emotional story-line that is given in bite-sized chunks through individual stories from each character's perspective. Of course, it makes hardly any sense, but it's well-written nonsense.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - I'm not a huge fan of strategy games, but there's just something compelling about XCOM. I like how the individual soldiers have names, faces, countries of origins, etc., instead of just being faceless drones that you mass-produce. I like how streamlined the experience is while still being tense as all hell.

Final Fantasy IX - I was playing through it again until I decided I wanted to focus on the other two games.

I've got tons of other games still in my backlog, and games that I'll occasionally boot up for an hour or two, but I've been trying to get through those two primarily.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Lets see.

Warframe - An online cooperative 3rd person game revolving around completing certain objectives and shooting/slashing your way through said objectives.

DayZ - Zombie survival game, I am sure most people have heard about it.

Planetside 2 - An online sandbox shooter with 3 factions where you take control of areas and bases.

Secret World - MMORPG with a good story, based around supernatural powers and forces. Very intriguing story line and the whole game play and way you create your builds, I love this game.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Assassins Creed 3 - I really want to like this game as much as I liked 2, but I can see that'll never happen. I like the game, I do, but I feel like they just made so many rather dumb decisions. One of the most prominent being the control scheme. I liked the Animus Puppeteering system, you know, Triangle for head actions, Square for your armed hand, Circle for your unarmed hand, X for your feet. It was a cool system that felt really good in action. The new control scheme.. eh not so much, like it doesnt make the game unplayable or anything, its just really annoying.

Colonial America is a nice setting I'll admit, but it has absolutely nothing on the skyline of Venice, Florence and Rome, and whilst the tree climbing mechanic is quite nice, and the frontier is coll, the whole concept does get quite old in a few hours. Kingdom from AC1 was dreadfully boring, but at least you could traverse it quickly with a horse, The Frontier just seems more annoying on horseback.

Of course I havent touched AC3 in a week though because of the next game that I recently purchased.

Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition After failing miserably at Demon's Souls a few years back (I was 13, dont judge), I was hesitant to get Dark Souls at first. Boy am I glad I bought it, Dark Souls is a really fun game if you can get over the occasional (Or often) death. In many ways its refreshing to have a game where I'm not an invincible superman, everything can kill you in this game if you arent careful. Its a good change of pace from games where everything is a bit more obvious, and a lot less punishing. This also has the effect of making everything you manage to do successfully give an amazing sense of accomplishment. Just remember, dont let success go to your head, you will be bought back down to earth through a tough boss, getting swarmed by enemies, or even just slipping off a ledge. Dark Souls pulls very few punches (Lets face it, allowing us to summon help for a boss is the nicest thing FromSoftware has ever done), it leaves me shaking, scared, and beaten, but always willing to come back for more.

I'm also planning on increasing my game library soon, but I wanna get at least one of these out of the way first.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm working on getting platinums for Persona 4 Golden and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath on my Vita. Not much to really say about P4 since everyone and their grandma has played it but I absolutely recommend Stranger's Wrath to anyone that loves Oddworld or shooters in general. The live ammo system is just original and one of a kind, I've never played another game like it. The game world and characters are also extremely charming and the story is very subtle in its pro-environment message like all Oddworld games.

That aside, I recently got a chance to visit several Japanese arcades lately and had my ass very politely but firmly handed to me in sjust about every fighting game from the last 30 years by the locals in Akihabara. I also got the chance to play iDOLM@STER Arcade at the iM@S Museum event in the Namco Arcade in Den Den Town in Osaka. The game is showing its age but its a piece of history for the franchise and extremely difficult to find a machine these days so that was a cool experience.

Ando85 said:
A lot of people say negative things about it. However, I loved Legend of Legaia so I'm hoping I will enjoy this title as well.
Oh wow, people say bad things about Legend of Legaia? That's a game I picked up by chance at a video store as a kid and I loved the hell out of it. I remember I got stuck at the crab boss for quite a while but hey, I was about 9 or 10 at the time.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
NintendoLand - solo and local multiplayer (tonight again gathering up friends to play the multiplayer games)
ZombiU
and
FIFA13

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Uh...Theme Hospital, Warlock Master of the Arcane and Rainbow Six Vegas, recently.
I seem to have a dreadfully low attention span as of late...

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
ok so am playing :
FABLE 1: nice wrpg game from 2004.
Burnout paradise: i regularly play this game online
SPORE: hmmm prety boring game actually overrhyped and overrated
The Thing: pretty nice action horror game from 2002
Rayman origins: very nice and cute platformer. pretty challenging and great visuals
Secret of monkey island special edition: great game from 1990 remastered in HD. great humor but very difficult puzzles always have to rely on hits to progress

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Hotline Miami. I've clocked ten hours on it according to steam. Pretty much done with it now though and waiting for a new game to catch my eye.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I recently finished Max Payne 3. It has a pretty solid campaign, longer than the previous ones I believe, and because I have no interest whatsoever in the multiplayer I've moved onto Batman: Arkham City. All of course, while I play Halo 4's multiplayer.

Satan

Dec 10, 2012
Skyrim
Kerbal Space Program
Far cry 3 (couple more bases to capture and I'm done)
xcom
hotline Miami ( already finished but I'm playing it for the 4th time seriously I love it)
It's the holidays, what better time than to play lots?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Just finished playing Darksiders, starting on Dark Souls and replaying Dragon Age: Origin since I now have the UE.
It seems I have a thing for the letter D this month.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
AC3, Halo 4, Portal 2, Dota 2, and the constant in my life that is Skyrim. I feel quite like playing a turn-based strategy game so may end up playing a Civ game or Total war this weekend.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Guild Wars 2- Yup I'm still playing that game (I pretty much got sidetrack from doing the story) where I've know others had stop playing the game by now.

Mass Effect- I got it for Christmas which I finally got the game running (I can see why people hate Origin) however I'm not far into it (Shepard had just became a Spectre and on one of the side mission) thanks to the game above.

Pokemon Black 2- I kind of obsess with the EV training well just getting the Pokemon with the right nature as I'm still in that cave trying to get a Joltik with a Timid nature with compoundeyes ans is level 25 or 26.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Still Borderlands 2 amongst occasional Firefall beta and others. I got my second character to 50 in BL2, and I happened to get some really good drops from the Warrior first time, which was nice. I'll be trying out some of the raid bosses soon I think, as I'm not intending to level another character. Firefall is a bit boring right now because there hasn't been much of an update for a while and they kind of broke it with the last patch. Still, I want to try and level a few classes ready for when Tier 3 comes out.

I've got XCOM to play when I feel like it. I'm getting the urge to try out SMITE for some reason. Oh, and I'm feeling guilty about having not played Guild Wars 2 for ages.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
KotOR with the Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge mod installed. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the quality of the mod. Despite a few bugs here and there, it fits so well into the main game, you'd almost think it wasn't a mod. It's also a very big mod, so it adds significantly to the playing time of the game.

Crusader Kings 2. I've already sunk a lot of hours into the game, it's quite addictive. Because of the above, I'm playing CK2 on and off right now. I'm currently playing as originally Saxony, but through marriage, I've also taken over Tuscany and I've also just taken over most of modern-day Israel, by contributing the most to a Crusade for it. It's... quite interesting to have to govern a so spread out a country as I now am.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
The only new game I'm playing is Far Cry 3. I'm finding it much more fun than Far Cry 2 (love the one-of-a-kind-animal-hunting quests), and I'm most of the way through it now. I bought it just before Christmas so I'd say it's lasted a fair amount of time.

In the Steam sale I bought Prototype when that was only £3.75, and so far it feels a much more fun version of GTA, even if the missions are all kind of boring and the controls can be a bit of a pain.

Then there was Crysis 2: Maximum Edition for £6.25 and I'm finding it quite fun, more so than Prototype. It looks great and everything on it just feels so smooth. Maybe that makes me a graphics whore but aww man it's just so pretty!

I also bought I Am Alive, but I couldn't stand more than an hour of that crap.