What have you learned today?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
But if I can say one thing that they did right in the Attitude era that I miss was that they still weren't afraid to let the talent be "themselves", so to speak. Wrestling, even if it was partially scripted has never been more obnoxiously scripted as it is now.
That is very true. You an tell when a character is being influenced by the wrestler's personality or by a script. AEW has some great talkers now though. Eddie Kingston and MJF in particular.

And the smaller indie promotions give talent a lot more freedom. Before the pandemic I saw David Starr beat a local favourite to the crowd booing him like crazy. He then cut a promo that had the entire crowd standing and cheering for him. Shame he's a piece of shit.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Holy Roman Emperor Fredrick the 2nd was Excommunicated three times, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen. Aside from Fredrick annoying the Papacy a lot, apparently the Pope just decided that since the bible never explicitly says that you can't excommunicate someone more then once, he was gonna rules lawyer that shit.

Maybe someone who understands this stuff better can explain why you can apparently stack excommunications, unless this was just the pope being a dick.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I learned that a huge number of companies still use tapes for storage because they last a long time if stored correctly and are good for data backup and obfuscating data requests.
Plus they spent a ton in the late 90s to lure COBOL programmers out of retirement to tackle Y2K and they're determined to get their money's worth.

I kid... mostly.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011

Sounds awesome. /sarcasm
The good news is that there are active solar activity forecasting groups, because anything that requires GPS to function accurately gets messed up by any sort of significant solar activity. At very least you'll know its coming for certain - even if you ignore the news you'll find out when you see survey crews trying to build Faraday cages for their gps units or just tearfully digging pre-emptive graves by the roadside.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Holy Roman Emperor Fredrick the 2nd was Excommunicated three times, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen. Aside from Fredrick annoying the Papacy a lot, apparently the Pope just decided that since the bible never explicitly says that you can't excommunicate someone more then once, he was gonna rules lawyer that shit.

Maybe someone who understands this stuff better can explain why you can apparently stack excommunications, unless this was just the pope being a dick.
I guess it's kind of the same idea behind consecutive life sentences.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I guess it's kind of the same idea behind consecutive life sentences.
I mean, sure, but if I understand my catholic dogma correctly, being unable to take communion is a big deal and possibly the same as damning someone's soul(unclear on this) so basically stacking that feels like "Wait, they're already banned so how can you ban them again?"

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I learned today that time magazine has made the dumbest choice for person of the year this year.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I learned today that time magazine has made the dumbest choice for person of the year this year.
Yeah that is a biggg yuck.
Keep in mine Time's Person of the Year is not about who is the best and greatest, but who is the most influential, whether for good, or bad.

Even so, yuck. Musk's only real accolades this year are trolling the stock market with his stupid crypto tweets and becoming the richest, also in part thanks to those stupid tweets. Then again, that's probably why he got it, Time does love the taste of 1% cock.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Keep in mine Time's Person of the Year is not about who is the best and greatest, but who is the most influential, whether for good, or bad.

Even so, yuck. Musk's only real accolades this year are trolling the stock market with his stupid crypto tweets and becoming the richest, also in part thanks to those stupid tweets. Then again, that's probably why he got it, Time does love the taste of 1% cock.
If it’s about influence then the bar is so fucking low it reached the level of hell.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Probably also had something to do with his space ventures.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but gotta say the ambition is admirable. On the other hand though, one has to wonder why not just fix earth instead if they have all that down to a science. Then the other shoe drops…oh because there’s no fixing a planet overwrought with so many lowly plebs, pollution, etc. and this will exclusively be a rich peoples’ party where they collectively hit the reset button and celebrate over caviar and crumpets.

At least for a while, until they get comfortable, and that comfort gives way to things like politics, ideals, opposition, carelessness, waste, and the eventual need to find another planet to spoil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Probably also had something to do with his space ventures.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but gotta say the ambition is admirable. On the other hand though, one has to wonder why not just fix earth instead if they have all that down to a science. Then the other shoe drops…oh because there’s no fixing a planet overwrought with so many lowly plebs, pollution, etc. and this will be a rich peoples’ party.

At least for a while, until they get comfortable, and that comfort gives way to things like politics, ideals, opposition, and the need to find another planet to spoil.
Of course the irony is that it's going to take a very long time before a Mars colony is anywhere close to self sufficient and the rich who decide to run off to mars are going to be living in spartan conditions and if anything goes wrong, they're fucked. There's pretty much no rescue when each leg of the voyage is 6 months minimum.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Of course the irony is that it's going to take a very long time before a Mars colony is anywhere close to self sufficient and the rich who decide to run off to mars are going to be living in spartan conditions and if anything goes wrong, they're fucked. There's pretty much no rescue when each leg of the voyage is 6 months minimum.
Robotics seem to be a prerequisite, since slave labor won’t be nearly as possible in places with no breathable atmosphere. They’ll play the waiting game and keep the monies rolling in until it’s safe *enough* to make their big move.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That maybe...just maybe, cryptocurrency may not be as secure as it's sold to everyone to be. Even by those claiming they're "the most trusted! And "the most security-minded!"

If there is one thing that perhaps crypto exchanges should learn from banks is how to better secure their platforms. In recent times, we’ve come across one too many instances of exchanges being hacked and cryptocurrency being stolen.

The latest hack comes from BitMart, a crypto exchange who has actually billed themselves as being “the most trusted crypto trading platform”. In an announcement by the company, it appears that they have suffered from a large-scale security breach in which hackers have managed to steal cryptocurrency worth $150 to $200 million.

The company says that this breach was caused by a stolen private key that had two hot wallets compromised. They also say that other assets in BitMart are safe and unharmed, and that they will be using their own funding to cover the incident and compensate affected users.

According to BitMart, “BitMart will use our own funding to cover the incident and compensate affected users. We are also talking to multiple project teams to confirm the most reasonable solutions such as token swaps. No user assets will be harmed.”

They add, “We are now doing our best to retrieve security set-ups and our operation. We need time to make proper arrangements and your kind understanding during this period will be highly appreciated.”

Decentralised Finance platform, BadgerDao has announced the loss of different tokens worth $120m to crypto hackers.

Peckshield, a Blockchain security and data analytics company is investigating the theft on behalf of BadgerDao.

According to Peckshield, the hackers made away with about 2,100 BTC, 151 ETH and varying amounts of other tokens like wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC), convex finance, etc.

The DeFi company has therefore paused all smart contracts and withdrawals.

Badger has received reports of unauthorized withdrawals of user funds. As Badger engineers investigate this, all smart contracts have been paused to prevent further withdrawals.
Use of malicious algorithm

BadgerDao is a decentralised finance platform that allows users to gain returns on their tokens using vaults. The returns gained depends on the yield generation strategies used by the vaults.

The hackers were able to gain access to users interface using malicious code. The code was run at random times to avoid detection.

Users who were on-site running transactions while the code was running were intercepted and duped into depositing their crypto savings into the hackers’ address.

Badger revealed that one user lost 896 Bitcoins worth $50m and another lost $5m worth of tokens.

Badger claims to be the most security minded team in DeFi

BadgerDao promises users that “they can rest easy knowing you never have to give up your private crypto keys”.

This event has proven that they might be overreaching with their claim as the “most security-minded team in DeFi”. The hackers bypassed the two-factor authentication put in place by the DeFi platform.

Whether the funds can be recovered or what will be done for those affected remains unknown.

Recently, crypto platforms have suffered malicious hacks. Early this year, a crypto lending platform, C.R.E.A.M lost $130m while Poly Network also lost $600m to coin thieves. The hacker later returned the money to Poly Network in what was described as a “bizarre incident”.

These events beg the question of whether crypto on the Blockchain technology is really as safe as widely claimed.
So much to say. So little reason or motivation to do so.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That maybe...just maybe, cryptocurrency may not be as secure as it's sold to everyone to be. Even by those claiming they're "the most trusted! And "the most security-minded!"

So much to say. So little reason or motivation to do so.
Honestly it's hard for me to feel bad for people getting screwed by crypto considering Bitcoin mining is one of the reasons getting a decent GPU is still a giant pain in the ass.