What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, them fierce looking giant insects and arachnids and the like that used to be all over the world zillions of years before the dinosaurs? I used to think that they lived then because the oxygen content was higher, but scientists now believe that the reason they went extinct is due to competition from vertebrates.

So, next time a giant spider or scorpion is trying to be all scary, point and laugh, we beat them up ages ago.

Reactions: CM156

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

What’s amazing is a solar filament that’s about ten times as long as the circumference of the earth and about as deep as half the diameter of it is going to be “mild” when its CME reaches us.

In other space news -

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
To further blow your mind, Chewbacca's vocalization is actually the sound of George Lucas' boner when he whacks it on a plie of money like a tuning fork.
I can't unread that, you know.

Thanks, Xprimentyl.

In other news, I learned that someone once tried to see what happens if you give monkeys access to a word processor(AKA the Monkeys with Typewriter metaphor), if wikipedia is to be believed. Apparently 6 monkeys created 5 pages of text, mostly consisting of the letter "S", the lead male hit the Keyboard with a Rock and the other monkeys presumably shit on it.

So exactly what I'd expect from a group of monkeys. I mean, isn't that what as science is for, to prove that monkeys will inevitably throw poop at something?

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, I like that the monkeys could see the results, so would press buttons to see stuff happen. Until they got bored, I guess.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Wait, does that make her a pig dog? Like Major from Footrot Flats?
Kinda sorta... She's staffy X ridgeback which is pretty common for pigdogs.

EllaWithBall2.jpg

That's what she looked like when she was just over 12 months old. She broadened out a bit at the shoulders since then.

Oh yeah, and she was the runt of her litter.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh yeah, and she was the runt of her litter.
My family once got a Husky who turned out to be pregnant. Couldn't keep her (she was an escape artist par excellence), but we kept the runt of her litter. He ended up growing to twice the size of our GSD, with ears so big that he literally couldn't get both of them pointing up at the same time. We liked to joke that his father was a Clydesdale.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou