What have you learned today?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Today I learned that mention notifications exist in this forum, thanks to the above post.
This is my first time hearing about it too, so I guess I just learned that too.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I haveth received information betwix the innocent folds of this butterflesh brain matter today - or some day that feels close enough to this day - of this new type of store for overly-paid under-educated freakazoids known as Gwyneth Paltrow's gloop...store? Goop shop? Goopy market?? Something gooey and less trustworthy than homeopathic tumour removal in your mate's uncle's basement anyway. Slapping a vaguely feminist-looking kooky sticker on some dirty new age healthcare scam does not the scam improve. Apparently there are videos, but I'm not in the mood for encouraging further nausea these days. What was once a neutral position on a fairly accomplished actor has now dropped to a solid "regulate that fucker plz someone before they harm more unsuspecting r...wait, is it only rich people buying into this? Hmmm....conflicting emotions...Still, that ain't a wholesome person there."

Also, trying to cancel a Prime subscription unleashes a defense mechanism within the website more robust than "the final 3 confirmations" of a self-administered euthansia machine.

Also, an inventor of a couple of suicide machines known as Jack Kevorkian appears to be a major fan of decepticon naming conventions, with the machines being titled "Thanatron" and "Mercitron" respectively. Are they rivals in the pyramid scheme of assisted suicide business??

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
From Red Dead Redemption 2, I learned about Cigarette Cards. I guess I never realized the whole "Collectable Card" thing went back to the 19th century....and started in cigerette packs.

Also, Dancing Mania, which could have been a result of ergot poisoning in grain but shows some signs of a cultural or memetic.....illness? It looks like the old timey equivalent of a phenomenon going viral, at least on the surface.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Also, Dancing Mania, which could have been a result of ergot poisoning in grain but shows some signs of a cultural or memetic.....illness? It looks like the old timey equivalent of a phenomenon going viral, at least on the surface.
It mentions 'St Vitus's Dance' as term for it which am unsure on the accuracy, as I've known that to be 'Sydenham's Chorea' due to a great grandmother apparently (I wasn't alive to verify) going through it very young and myself too at a young age in a milder form, which vaguely remember being more like squirming uncomfortably at specific joints. Wouldn't have ever considered it a cultural phenomenon really, like a fad?

On a separate note, now am unleashed with a blender and no-one to save me from myself, have made very first homemade hummus! Not out of any noble vegan duty to protect life - especially after that beef brisket seasoned with what might as well have been the tears of forgotten children - but more because chick peas are everywhere, oven stopped working and got a sodding blender! Except...while taste isn't an issue, it should probably be called 'not as viscousmus' (eurgh...that was a very bad word, sorry!) Not as viscous hummus? Perhaps...Perhaps more blending of various goods is necessary...

Last edited:

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I learned that Holotropic Breathwork excercises exist, and that they have an effect similar to LSD, so I could potentially get a similar experience without doing drugs apparently.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that I've thought Leslie Mann and Lauren Holly were the same person forever. Likely due their association with Jim Carrey; Mann was with Carrey in The Cable Guy, and Holly with him in Dumb and Dumber. They don't look terribly similar, so I don't know why.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I went to the dentist today for my checkup. On the part were they clean my gum, they says they cannot used the machine (the one that shoot out a jet of water) cos of the pandemic.

This make sense to me cos those machine does emit partial of floaty water when the water is spraying into my mouth!

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Well I went to the dentist today for my checkup. On the part were they clean my gum, they says they cannot used the machine (the one that shoot out a jet of water) cos of the pandemic.

This make sense to me cos those machine does emit partial of floaty water when the water is spraying into my mouth!
Is this just your dentist or all across the UK? The dentists here are using them fine.. But they also have goggles, respirators, shields and air cleaners in the rooms so that aerosols aren't a serious issue.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

That’s kinda good news for my cleaning next month, because my back molars have been sensitive ever since having my wisdom teeth pulled.

On topic, I learned that Skeletor can be used as a decent barometer for social progression

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
That people in the UK and Ireland genuinely can't tell the difference between using homophobic slurs and a woman rapping about her vagina... Or that radio edits of songs have always existed including a radio edit of that vagina song.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Learned a few days ago that this is what Dolby Vision looks like.

From the movie Breathless. Was wondering at first why the rip had two video tracks.

A blu-ray.com member explained it to me as well.

Yes, the DV enhancement layer is 1920x1080. It doesn't contain a total video stream but the compressed difference data between the HDR10 encode and the 12-bit master. When the image is rebuilt in DV it decompresses and uprezzes this enhancement layer and overlays it onto the HDR10 encode using a specific set of algorithms to cancel out the parts of the encode that it's replacing. Many DV discs don't use this type of enhancement layer though, they just carry the dynamic metadata so the layer is totally 'blank'.
Oh, should probably show what it looks like without the Dolby Vision layer, although the screenshots are reduced to 200 nits, I think, since there's no way to really view HDR wide color gamut pictures.

Breathless [1960, France, Jean-Luc Godard, 2020 UHD with Dolby Vision].mkv_snapshot_00.20.53.684.jpg

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
That I can't post pictures here. Was going to show you my dog.

Edit: Sure, now it works.
View attachment 354"
He looks like he is running with a purpose.

"I've got to let them know! The pawrophesy, it's nigh! Carry me oh wind, carry me with your caress, let the siren songs not reach me on this beach, that I may fulfill my sacred duty."

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
He looks like he is running with a purpose.

"I've got to let them know! The pawrophesy, it's nigh! Carry me oh wind, carry me with your caress, let the siren songs not reach me on this beach, that I may fulfill my sacred duty."
He really just wanted a biscuit.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands

I learned this band existed. And that they are awesome.
Oh, Avantasia, I used to like that band a lot, pretty sure the only video that was ever uploaded to my old now non-existent youtube channel was a video of me and my sister meeting them when they gave a concert in Tijuana, fun times.

*Correction: Now that I remember the concert was for Tobias Sammet's other band Edguy, so it wasn't them exactly.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That the actress Nikki Reed got her pair of baseball shoes from the Twilight films because Kristen Stewart stole them for her, as she was too scared to take them, but apparently really loved those shoes.

Don't really care but it is something I learned today.