What have you learnt today?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
So, as the saying goes, you learn something new every day. I, personally, believe this is true, it's just that what we learn varies in personal levels (i.e. learning something new about a friend or about a country) and also usefulness.

So, what have you learnt today?

Today, I learnt that Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is in fact a cover, which is a bit of a shock to me as I assumed it was the original. Same for Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog"

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
rosac said:
So, as the saying goes, you learn something new every day. I, personally, believe this is true, it's just that what we learn varies in personal levels (i.e. learning something new about a friend or about a country) and also usefulness.

So, what have you learnt today?

Today, I learnt that Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is in fact a cover, which is a bit of a shock to me as I assumed it was the original. Same for Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog"
Hallelujah has to be one of the most covered songs of all time at this point, seems like every decent singer has done a version. My personal favorite is by Sad Kermit.

Today I learned how to an image editor to cut objects out of a picture, no more ms paint for me!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It isn't Buckley's original song but his is the definitive version to me.
This is coming from a pretty big Leonard Cohen fan.

I learned how to use a microfilm reader and looked at some pretty gruesome and realistic paintings of people with horrific diseases from the Victorian Era. So far, today has been enlightening.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I learnt how to change the password on my wireless router so my brother has to ask for the password every time.
The next time he disconnects from the internet he's certainly going to learn something new.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I learn that having a milkshake and this chocolate roll before eating fried cod with corn and pea does not go well for your stomach... (or maybe it was this soup that was the cause of my stomach pain?).
I was hot and exhauted from work (delivery day and it was hot outside) and while I told my parent I was going home for lunch (since I finish at 12.30) I figure I can have an ice cream (well milkshake) on the way back since the ice cream palour is only minutes away from work.

EDIT- For today (25th) I learn that the game Spiral Knight is a pain in the ass game to install (having trouble with the proxy setting) to play despite being a simple free to play game!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I learned today something, but it have to do with my work, so let just say the lesson I learned is:
Let the professionals make you even more richer.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
In prepararing to answer this question, I learnt the difference between "learned" and "learnt" is purely cultural and both tenses are grammatically interchangeable.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I've learned that no one wanted to give me a summer job last week and then everyone wants to give me a summer job this week.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I guess I learned that both Italys and Uruguays national anthems are about war in some way.
yeah, their world cup match is about to begin :p

Also, we ahve two new playable characters in Zelda Hyrule Warriors and Gary (Oldman? Oldham?) is apparently a di**head.

So nothing major, just been writing on my final schoolwork, which is more of a summary of things I know than actually learning...

SirDerpy

May 4, 2013
HTML and CSS.

Haven't ever actually done them before, but I've got 'em for a summer assignment, so might as well.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm starting a Summer class in a few hours, I am sure I will learn something new then. In the meantime, I learned Link has an alternate costume in Smash Bros. based on his civilian Skyward Sword clothes.

This does give me some hope that this could mean we get cool alternate costumes for lots of characters. Would also love to see an Ocarina of Time adult Link costume too.

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
There are days where I learn something new, but today wasn't one of them - so far. I'm sure I'll be learning something new in my guitar class, which coincidentally enough will be learning how to play Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Learned to use an angle grinder [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_grinder]. Also learned that it really stinks unless you regularly air out the space you're doing the work in.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Learned (or experienced, if you will) that hanging upside down from a single foot isn't too pleasant.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I learned that Quiff is a legitimate word. It means either a small tuft of hair or the same thing as Quim.

Also learned how to log into my local library's new computer system today. Odd that they made the password the last four letters of your phone number.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Today I discovered there's Twitter accounts that look like they would be good to follow (Science pics, Earth pics, Beautiful landscapes to name a few) but when you look at their feed there's just a smattering of said pictures in between a load of stupid conspiracy theories of the account creator who is using a promise of awesome pics to get followers so they can voice their awful opinions.

The "Sandy Hook shooting was staged you idiots, here's a picture of two girls who look nothing alike but she was supposedly killed omg actresses" made me blind rage and report the account.

What a horrible, sad person to be.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I learned that my passport expired in May, and that my driving license has had the wrong address on it for the last four years... oops.

I also learned that I'm not half as fit or strong as I thought I was, but I can inexplicably lift 200lb with my legs whilst being weak as a kitten with my arms. All legs indeed.

Also, Mech Commander and Mech Commander 2 are free open source programs nowadays, which is brilliant!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I have learned that the crush I have on someone is mutual.

Fuck yeah.

Other than that, I learned the finer points of the Civilization boardgame rules. Also more meta things like; starting in a fucked up position (basically inaccessible neighboring tiles) screws you up for the rest of the game. Always fun to play as an early game civ, the Romans, and have basically see all your strong points becoming completely useless. Fun game otherwise though.

bartholen said:
Learned to use an angle grinder [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_grinder]. Also learned that it really stinks unless you regularly air out the space you're doing the work in.
Here I am actually liking the smell of burning metal.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Not much today but yesterday I actually made dinner for my family, and I'm feeling rather good about it. It was rather simple mind, just chicken cooked in a peanut sauce with some rice. Tomorrow I'm going to try to make chicken gyros.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I learned that the World of Tanks servers apparently don't like me when I use English tanks.