What have you purchased recently?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Still fixing the corruption from the multiple outages. It's a big pain in the ass. I have to remux the whole movie to see if MKVToolNix gives me any error messages. One 65 GB movie takes about 22 minutes, and I move a bunch of them to my computer first so that the slow remuxing for hours on end doesn't crash the server again. Happened a few days ago.

remuxing.jpg

Those 39 warnings at the bottom are all the same movie, Vertigo. The program tells you the time of the error. When you check that place, the video breaks up in artifacts or skips ahead.

'D:\Videos\WORK QUEUE TEMP\Ran [1985, Akira Kurosawa, StudioCanal UHD-DV].mkv': A block was found at timestamp 02:28:01.196000000 for track number 21. However, no headers were found for that track number. The block will be skipped.

D:\Videos\WORK QUEUE TEMP\Ran [1985, Akira Kurosawa, StudioCanal UHD-DV].mkv: Error in the Matroska file structure at position 61046328787. Resyncing to the next level 1 element.

Had to rip Lawrence of Arabia and and Rocco and His Brothers in the list again as well. No yellow warning symbols by them because I acknowledged the warnings. Lawrence is actually two 4K discs, but I muxed it into one 99 GB file.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I bought a cezve (turkish coffee pot). I don't drink a lot of coffee, but when I do want coffee I like it to be strong as fuck.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A hanging bug zapper to wage equal war on these goddamned mosquitos. I felt unparalleled joy every time I heard the "zaps" last night. Lo and behold, this morning, when I went to collect my dead bug booty, it was mostly moths, gnats and some random flying insect that was still alive. I swear, were a genie to grant me one wish, it'd not be untold riches, an end to world hunger, or an end to all war; it'd be the extinction of mosquitos.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I went to a minor convention and paid an artist to draw my portrait in an anime style.

EDIT: which is now my avatar.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rear shocks and brake lights replaced for my car.

I went a retro store earlier in the afternoon and got a copy of Prey. Remember Prey?

For those wondering, it's the 2006 version on 360. The game is backwards compatible on XONE and SERIES S/X. I got the game for cheap in perfect condition. Case, manual, and disc.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A hanging bug zapper to wage equal war on these goddamned mosquitos. I felt unparalleled joy every time I heard the "zaps" last night. Lo and behold, this morning, when I went to collect my dead bug booty, it was mostly moths, gnats and some random flying insect that was still alive. I swear, were a genie to grant me one wish, it'd not be untold riches, an end to world hunger, or an end to all war; it'd be the extinction of mosquitos.
I just ordered one of those myself, primarily because this apartment is more porous than a bath sponge and I can't keep flies out (and they're apparently not stupid enough to fall for hanging glue traps).

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I bought an apartment.....err rented. I rented an apartment.
Oh I bought these posters for my place too.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I just ordered one of those myself, primarily because this apartment is more porous than a bath sponge and I can't keep flies out (and they're apparently not stupid enough to fall for hanging glue traps).
I'd recommend these, but be prepared for the smell of a death from two weeks ago under the scorching sun downwind from a septic plant. They work, and only prove how disgusting flies are.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
A 50" Sony x85j TV. The TCL S546 I got a few weeks back had some rough dirty screen effect, and it ended up having some bad coil whine issues when using particular settings (which doesn't bode well for the quality of the set), so I got the Sony instead. A fair bit more money, but its DSE is MUCH better, and the quality overall is a lot stronger. It maybe doesn't handle colours quite as well as the TCL in a few ways, but there's a few tweaks and options the Sony has that shows why it commands a bit more of a premium overall.

You definitely get what you pay for with electronics these days... Bleh

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A steel fish tape.

I was cleaning up the cables in my home office and running ethernet through the wall and I needed a way to push past all of the insulation and actually pull through the cabling. Made it look clean as hell.

The number of trips I've had to make to home depot over the last few months since buying my house has been way too many.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Replaced my Celine blackout curtains with Nicetown ones. My room is much darker now. I bet my old curtains became more stretched over time, making the weaves wider and allowing more light through. The polyester on these feels silkier. Hope that means it's stronger. Still some light coming over the top of the curtain and the sides. If I had known more about curtains when I installed the rod years ago, I would have drilled much farther from the window. Too much hassle to fix it now. Good enough that I can watch movies earlier. I kept putting cardboard behind the curtain before I slept or watched, which is now completely unneeded. As are the half-broken blinds behind the curtains.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Steam Deck, although I guess it was more a late bday gift.