What have you purchased recently?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I bought the gf and myself a couple of fitness trackers; we're trying to be more active and move around a bit more since the pandemic made us a couple of homebodies. They're relatively cheap ones, about $60 per; I just wanted to see if we'll (well she'll) actually use them before investing in something more expensive.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I bought the gf and myself a couple of fitness trackers; we're trying to be more active and move around a bit more since the pandemic made us a couple of homebodies. They're relatively cheap ones, about $60 per; I just wanted to see if we'll (well she'll) actually use them before investing in something more expensive.
I got one as a gift from work a couple years ago. I've used it, but not for fitness. It doesn't seem to matter much, as I lost a little 10 lb this year.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I got one as a gift from work a couple years ago. I've used it, but not for fitness. It doesn't seem to matter much, as I lost a little 10 lb this year.
They're not for a rigid fitness regiment per se, just more awareness of and accountability for our inactivity. Since the start of the pandemic, my working from home and her breast cancer diagnosis putting her at high risk in terms of COVID, we've basically been immobile for the better part of two years, and have got into a sedentary lifestyle. We want to be active again, and the watches help motivate us with objective data that we're moving around.

We want to start taking daily walks, but in true Texas fashion, this desire coincides with a heatwave and temperatures in the high '80s to low '90s before the sun even comes up followed by triple-digit temps and high humidity once it does.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're not for a rigid fitness regiment per se, just more awareness of and accountability for our inactivity. Since the start of the pandemic, my working from home and her breast cancer diagnosis putting her at high risk in terms of COVID, we've basically been immobile for the better part of two years, and have got into a sedentary lifestyle. We want to be active again, and the watches help motivate us with objective data that we're moving around.

We want to start taking daily walks, but in true Texas fashion, this desire coincides with a heatwave and temperatures in the high '80s to low '90s before the sun even comes up followed by triple-digit temps and high humidity once it does.
If you can, even 10 or 15 minutes for a walk can help. Just make sure to take a water bottle with you. The job I have requires a lot of physical activity. It's a combination of that, some diet change, and me drinking way more water. Always mix my water with lemon and lime juice, but no sugar. Makes it easier for me to have my water, and it tastes good too. Get one of those water bottles with a freezer stick. That will definitely help you and your wife. If you can, just try to go on a day when it's either in the mid-70s or low '80s. Once it reaches fall, I'm sure you'll be able to do a lot more walks.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
just try to go on a day when it's either in the mid-70s or low '80s..
Brother BrawlMan, if, and I can't stress this enough, *IF* we're in the mid '70s, it's 2:00 am or another season entirely. We're hitting 85-degrees by 6:00 am these days, and that's on it's way to an index of 110-115 degrees.

But yeah, we do intend to ramp up the activity; probably take our walks at night or in the mornings when it's only dangerously hot and not fatally scorching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Brother BrawlMan, if, and I can't stress this enough, *IF* we're in the mid '70s, it's 2:00 am or another season entirely. We're hitting 85-degrees by 6:00 am these days, and that's on it's way to an index of 110-115 degrees.

But yeah, we do intend to ramp up the activity; probably take our walks at night or in the mornings when it's only dangerously hot and not fatally scorching.
I'm sure you'll be able to work out something. Try and stay cool. It's warm up here Michigan too, but you guys got it way worse.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm sure you'll be able to work out something. Try and stay cool. It's warm up here Michigan too, but you guys got it way worse.
Its really weird how I see people sun bathing in this heat around the pool down here.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Its really weird how I see people sun bathing in this heat around the pool down here.
Blows my mind too, dude. Granted, I'm brown-skinned, so have never understood sunbathing on any occasion, but in this intense heat, it's like, they're literally roasting themselves alive for a tan?! Stay pasty, my friends; it's not worth it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Blows my mind too, dude. Granted, I'm brown-skinned, so have never understood sunbathing on any occasion, but in this intense heat, it's like, they're literally roasting themselves alive for a tan?! Stay pasty, my friends; it's not worth it.
Probably one of those things you have to learn from your parents and get used to doing when you are young.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ever get those nights that never drop below 30C (86F in the old money)? Fucking hate those.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks! Leaning towards the BenQ, buying for the long term after all.
Bit late to the party, but, +1 to the BenQ as well. I dunno if it's just been my abysmal luck in recent years (no matter what I buy), but I find that with tech especially, you get what you pay for these days. The quality difference between my TCL TV I got few months back and the Sony TV I replaced it with is staggering, even if the price was around 40% higher. At the very least BenQ will likely have a better warranty/better support in case anything goes wrong as well (something I find has been indefinitely more valuable over time than saving a couple of bucks)

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bit late to the party, but, +1 to the BenQ as well. I dunno if it's just been my abysmal luck in recent years (no matter what I buy), but I find that with tech especially, you get what you pay for these days. The quality difference between my TCL TV I got few months back and the Sony TV I replaced it with is staggering, even if the price was around 40% higher. At the very least BenQ will likely have a better warranty/better support in case anything goes wrong as well (something I find has been indefinitely more valuable over time than saving a couple of bucks)
Yup, got the BenQ and don't regret it at all. It's been just a day and I can already feel my eyeballs rejoicing.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A solar-powered, decorative turtle for our patio and a phone stand with built-in Bluetooth speaker, both for my gf's birthday this Saturday. The turtle should match the solar-powered hummingbird wind chime I got her last year (she loves humming birds and turtles,) and you've never felt pain unless you've watched her try to awkwardly situate her phone as she tries to show you a video.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A 3D printer.

I've been wanting to learn some basic 3D modeling for a while, and I figured being able to actually physically make and hold the things I model may make me more motivated to put the time in and learn. Plus 3D printers seem cool.