What have you purchased recently?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Welcome! Not really a purchase but an acquisition: kids gifted me a Nintendo Switch OLED in 2024! In theory, I'm current gen too now! Till November :). Pricey. I have 1 game for it so far, the newest Zelda which cost me $70! I'm interested in if/when the PS5 Pro becomes a thing, which may be in November as well. Or never. Gaming is changing a ton, especially if you have good Internet. As for Xbox, I'm playing a lot of Microsoft games on my Xbox 1X and new PC build. The Series X looks like a great piece of hardware but I feel like MS is treating it the way Sony treated the Vita. But sounds like you have a lot of access to games you already own so, enjoy the better performance.

My last purchase? Guess we were invaded by critters this year. My daughter's car wiring got eaten by them. $5K in damage.
Then I went to start my outdoor AC unit a few days ago, no go. Critter (mouse) ate a wire from the power source in my house that goes to the unit. $200, phew. Not too bad but still, after telling her, my daughter asked if we could do a mouse apocalypse as what the heck are they good for? I told her predators like hawks like 'em. So they got that going for them.
Thanks. I know I'm only a few YEARS late to the party, but the appreciable performance boost has got to be the most impressed I've been with generational improvements since he OG Xbox to the Xbox 360. It seems really stupid and obvious, but coming from someone who's spent a year and a half playing Elden Ring on an 11-year-old piece of hardware, and has used the inexorable deaths as excuses for bathroom breaks while the game loads back up, it's been jarring to realize I'm now right back in the fray in a fraction of the time. It was a habit I'd not realized was so ingrained. It used to be I'd die, say a few cuss words, put the controller down, go take a piss, and come back just in time for the game to have loaded back up. Now? I die, say a few cuss words, put the controller down, and before I can take two steps towards the toilet, I'm standing at the grace for another go. Or I sometimes play while I work, the Xbox in one room, my work PC in the one next to it. I'd die, and use the load times to check in. Now, I barely get out of the room before the ambient sounds of a fully-loaded and ready game remind me that I don't have 40 idle seconds to spare. In fact, I now no longer play while I work because I lose track of time since the circle of life and death is so instant. I found myself saying "ok, one more time" 10 times in a row, and I'd not checked in with work for 30 minutes! Nothing drops the stomach more than getting back to your PC to a 30-minute-old instant message from your boss you've not replied to yet.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thanks. I know I'm only a few YEARS late to the party, but the appreciable performance boost has got to be the most impressed I've been with generational improvements since he OG Xbox to the Xbox 360. It seems really stupid and obvious, but coming from someone who's spent a year and a half playing Elden Ring on an 11-year-old piece of hardware, and has used the inexorable deaths as excuses for bathroom breaks while the game loads back up, it's been jarring to realize I'm now right back in the fray in a fraction of the time. It was a habit I'd not realized was so ingrained. It used to be I'd die, say a few cuss words, put the controller down, go take a piss, and come back just in time for the game to have loaded back up. Now? I die, say a few cuss words, put the controller down, and before I can take two steps towards the toilet, I'm standing at the grace for another go. Or I sometimes play while I work, the Xbox in one room, my work PC in the one next to it. I'd die, and use the load times to check in. Now, I barely get out of the room before the ambient sounds of a fully-loaded and ready game remind me that I don't have 40 idle seconds to spare. In fact, I now no longer play while I work because I lose track of time since the circle of life and death is so instant. I found myself saying "ok, one more time" 10 times in a row, and I'd not checked in with work for 30 minutes! Nothing drops the stomach more than getting back to your PC to a 30-minute-old instant message from your boss you've not replied to yet.
That is probably the most positive and enthusiastic endorsement for the Series X I've ever read. If a Pro PS5 and a Pro Xbox come out next November, that may give me a lot to sweat about. I don't think I can buy both. My wife would kill me!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I had some leftover Amazon credit, so I bought a 1TB M.2 drive for my Steam Deck, to replace the tiny 64GB drive that it came with.

It also gave me an excuse to install the transparent backplate I was gifted, which makes it look like an old Gameboy Colour.

1716749917198.png

I thought opening up the Steam deck would be a lot more intimidating than it was, but a few tiny screws and a spudger later, and the whole thing was done in about 10 minutes.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Looking to do more exercise and started walking like every other day, but depending on weather that can be iffy (plus there's only like 3-4 months where it's nice enough outside for that where I'm at) and gym memberships are more expensive than I thought they would be, thus I decided to get this exercise bike for $130 as it's the one piece of exercise equipment I would actually use since I could watch whatever in my home while using it and wouldn't need to worry about earbuds at the gym and whatnot.

Pooboo Exercise Bike

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Two signed copies of Dr. Opal Lee's book, "Juneteenth, A Children's Story." I got a chance to meet Dr. Opal Lee as she visited my work a few days ago. She's the "Grandmother of Juneteenth," responsible for making Juneteenth a federal holiday. For those who don't know, Juneteenth marks the day that slaves in Texas were officially freed from slavery, two and a half years after having been technically freed by the Emancipation Proclamation. She's 97, but still walks her two and a half miles every year with thousands of others to honor the holiday. I'm sending a copy to my mother, but more meaningfully, I'm sending one to my goddaughter who turned 6 a few days ago. She won't understand it yet, but my hope is that she will have a meaningful piece of history she can appreciate when she's older.

Reactions: Chimpzy and Worgen

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't often spoil myself, but my girlfriend's brother came down this past weekend and put a set of Skullcandy's Crusher Evo headphones on my head, and my credit card basically typed itself into my phone 30 seconds later. These headphones are incredible. It's like wearing one of those annoying cars that vibrates the neighborhood with obnoxious bass on your head, but no one outside the headphones can hear anything. I spent the first hour finding every bass-heavy track I could think of, then giggling like a little girl at how amazing they sounded through these headphones. I'll be deaf by my next birthday, but I'll rock out with my cock out until then.

View attachment 8923
Bought a pair of these for my friend for her birthday. She texted me this morning, I quote: "Hahaha!! WTF!!!??? My brain is knocking around in my skull!!" I haven't seen her in nearly a decade, and this felt like a really "dude-sy" gift for a woman, but I lucked out, and she loves them.

Reactions: BrawlMan