What Hogwarts house do you think you'd be in?

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I think I'd be in Ravenclaw...all my friends told me so before I'd even thought about it... I like learning, and riddles, and outwitting others. :)

But I reckon I'd also quite fit into Slytherin..though not in an evil way, I think Slytherin's been a bit misrepresented that way. Not everybody who goes into Slytherin is a jerk. In the book most of Slytherin house do fight against Voldemort at the final battle. They did run away at first, but they came back once they had help from Hogsmeade, changing the odds of the battle. That's why I don't like how they're all portrayed as evil and sent to the dungeons in the last film.

Overall though Ravenclaw, I value intelligence and wit.

It's all about ambition. I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffidor (and who want to really, bunch of hotheads)..and Hufflepuff, well they're Cannon-Fodder.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Ravenclaw.

I'm not "brave" in the sense that I would not be willing to do stupid things because my heart says to for Gryffindor.

I'm not "normal," or generally loyal enough for Hufflepuff.

And while I identify myself as "evil." I'm not a dick about it. So no Slytherin.

Ravenclaw is the only house I can see myself being in. As I pride myself on being intelligent.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Probably Hufflepuff or Slytherin.

They don't get enough love.

And really, what's the difference other than where you sleep in the castle and what team to root for at the quidditch matchs?

Doesn't everyone pretty much attend the same or choice of classes?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Probably Hufflepuff, I'm not brave enough for Gryffindoo, smart enough for Ravenclaw, or even cunning enough for Slytherin...

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Every test I've taken usually puts me either in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, but I honestly see myself more in the Hufflepuff house. When tasked with something, I do work hard to achieve the highest results, and I do see myself having the loyalty quality you usually find. Plus the Huffles are more earth-based, and I've recently discovered a passion for gardening, so yeah I think that's where I'd be.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
im torn between ravenclaw and slytherin. i leave for knowledge and i love studying. in the other hand i have a very selfish and "ends justify the means" kind of attitude. im also manipulative.
so i would go into slyclaw?

Voulan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Pottermore says I'm Slytherin, but I always thought I'd be better suited to Ravenclaw. I love knowledge.

Voulan said:
If not them, it would be Hufflepuff. I'm not brave at all, nor am I ruthless (or determined, for a slightly less Slytherins'-are-evil view). And I guess I'm good at.... finding things.

What the HELL is a Hufflepuff? :p

(I blame my girlfriend for that)
I'm glad someone got that reference. More people need to watch that musical. :D

Now I think about it...there aren't any main characters from Hufflepuff in the books apart from Cedric, are there? They really don't have a good reputation.
well madam sprout, nymphadora tonks, newt scamander(the writer of the biology book)and justin finch felchly are in the house too. (not that they matter. well besides tonks)

for more info:http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hufflepuff

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I don't know, I seem to see all such characteristics to some extent. The academic sensibilities of Ravenclaw, the courage in the face of adversity of Griffandor, the honesty of Hugglepuff, and even the cunning of Slytherian is better than butting your head against a wall unduly sometimes.

I guess when they put The Sorting Hat on my head, it will just have a conniption.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Snowbell said:
Master of the Skies said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wenseph said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Wenseph said:
Voldemort was in Slytherin. Bellatrix Lestrange was in Slytherin. You mention like three characters, and think they're the most prominent, when they're not.
But that's just two alumni. Hell, Slughorn's another alumnus, he's just a bumbling dunce with a guilty concience. Everyone else of the Slyth people we meet during Hogwarts (Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise, Pansy, etc.) are usually depicted as guffawing jerks, none of whom seem to be particularly bright, just eager to ***** and deride without actually accomplishing anything..
You keep mentioning freaking children, when Slytherin was the house for several death eaters, Dolores Umbridge, and Lucius Malfoy. I can't even take you seriously. I think Slytherin wasn't allowed to take part in the hogwarts battle, because they weren't sure what side they'd be on.

Merlin was in Slytherin, one of the strongest wizards.
And you identify with these horrible people?
Merlin believed that wizards should help Muggles and live peacefully with them.[2] To this end, he founded the Order of Merlin, an organisation which promoted Muggle rights, creating rules against using magic on them.[2]
What's so horrible about that? You're kind of ignoring that they weren't all evil.
Snape was a Slytherin, and he wasn't all that evil, nor was he even manipulative, he was manipulated by Voldermort and Dumbledore (he made him kill him, come on). However, he thought Voldy would spare Harry's mum rather than just killing everyone. So I guess he's not all that bright.

He seems like just a clever, ambitious kid who got bullied into a state of hatred. It's either bully or get bullied in Slytherin.

Back on topic: I would be in Slytherin, I'm ambitious and I'm not above manipulating the rules and others to get what I want, even if it is a morally good outcome that I'm after.

Now, time for a shameless plug; Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality [http://hpmor.com/] is a very fun read where a lot of the characters get explored in more depth, Bellatrix's story made me cry my eyes out. It's very in favour of disolving the house stereotypes and Quirrel actively seeks to make the houses intermingle. It's very SFW but has mild shipping warnings for Draco/Hermione or Hermione/Harry.

Oh and here's some awesome anime style fanart [http://dinosaurusgede.deviantart.com/gallery/27136676] of it too :D
I really don't get all the Slyth fans, considering every Slyth person in both books and movies is portrayed as either being a bully jerk or an evil jerk with no redeeming qualities. Not the house of cool, magnificent bastard loners everybody thinks it is.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Hmmm... Quite frankly I would fit in with any of them, but the test on Pottermore places me in Gryffindor, so let's go with that.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Rowling is pretty terrible at depicting any house bit Gryffindor in complex terms through the narrative itself... Gryffindor are Heroes, Ravenclaw are nerds (also occasionally cowards), Hufflepuff are losers (or die, good going Cedric) and Slytherin are all sociopathic, racial supremacist, bullying, lying monsters who should have all been drowned at birth.

Though if you look at what the houses actually represent things make a little more sense... though as I said, Rowlind depicts every house but Gryffindor in a very poor light.

The reason why of course... I'd probably be a Hufflepuff because I place my relationships with others quite high in my list of priorities, or a Ravenclaw because I consider knowledge and the acquisition thereof extremely important. Got no real ambition or bravery though, so no Gryffindor or Slytherin for me.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Ravenclaw
Yuuki said:
Ravenclaw.

But I stopped giving a shit about Hogwarts houses because they mean absolutely nothing. Hermione (about as Ravenclaw as it gets) was thrown into Griffindor, and Neville (about as Hufflepuff as it gets) was also thrown in Griffindor. Also how the hell did Sirius get into Griffindor when practically all his family/relatives were Slytherins? Why was James Potter sorted into Griffindor even though he came across as a bullying selfish asshat through all his younger years? The inconsistencies go goes on and on.

And there there is Slytherin - through all 7 books there are only like 1 or 2 people from Slytherin who AREN'T cartoonishly evil dickheads. When you have a house that seems to produce nothing but dark wizards and jerks, one would think the wizarding world would be greatly improved if whoever the Sorting Hat sorted into Slytherin was simply killed on the spot or sent back home.

I get they were childrens' books but that excuse doesn't really carry all the way to 5th, 6th and 7th books which were more like teen/young-adult fiction (what with all the brutal deaths happening).
Hermione doesn't care about knowledge. Her quest for knowledge is little more than a way of compensating for her unpopularity, and a habit. She realises the importance of study, but only as a means to an end. Compare her to Luna Lovegood, who seeks knowledge for it's own sake.

In book 7, Neville leads an underground resistance for several months, yells at the guy who just killed the wizarding world's Messiah in front of all his followers, then charges him with a motherfucking sword. 'nuff said.

Sirius was different from his family and didn't want to go in Slytherin. What else is there to say?

We only ever see one instance of James acting like that. In Snape's worst memory, while James in on a post-exams high, and trying to show off to a girl. Not exactly his finest moment, but hardly his default.

Most of the Slytherins we see are Draco Malfoy and his companions, (who see themselves as bulletproof due to Malfoy's political status) or the Death Eaters, (who are spread out across 30 or so years, and likely more than one house). As has been mentioned in this thread , the much revered Merlin was a Slytherin. Thus, Slytherin house is neither the cause, nor a good litmus test for evil.

EDIT: Also, I ahve no idea where people are getting the "good house, evil house, nerd house, leftover house" thing from. If you actually read the books instead of some summary of it, it's more like "leader house, ambitious/resourceful house, nerd house, Good Guy Greg house".

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I really don't get all the Slyth fans, considering every Slyth person in both books and movies is portrayed as either being a bully jerk or an evil jerk with no redeeming qualities. Not the house of cool, magnificent bastard loners everybody thinks it is.
I would rather be in Raveclaw but I don't have the brains. The question was 'which house do you THINK you'd be in', and I think I would be in Slytherin because I'm a bit of a jerk with very few redeeming qualities.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
I would be in Hufflepuff...

And I find this appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9n9wswKMec

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Gryffindor

I've done a few of the sort tests before. I've been called a quiet leader by a few of my friends. Ready to take risks other aren't most of the time because I can see an outcome which even if bad is a great way to move forward.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I have aspects of all the houses... but I'd probably end up in Ravenclaw. If it were based on 11-year-old me... it may have been Hufflepuff, but I was still incredibly shy and bookish at 11. I was also still niave enough to believe people and be reasonably happy-go-lucky. The me today? Still probably Ravenclaw (I am a librarian), but possibly Gryffindor as I've learned to stand up for myself... Or Slytherin, because I'm horribly scarred by my past and generally think everyone other than my loved ones doesn't deserve to live and is an awful, horrible waste of space.

... We'll stick with Ravenclaw.

Captcha: 'sunshine' ... Hah.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I'd like to think I'd be in Ravenclaw, but honestly, although I'm pretty bright, I'm also fairly lazy, and always been a sort of B grade student. So I suppose I'd end up in Gryffindor since that seems to be where they put the weirdos that don't fit the others.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hufflepuff since I am a nice guy in general especially when I am not clever, brave or sneaky in general.

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
Pottermore says I'd be in Hufflepuff...

I like to think Ravenclaw, mainly because school and learning is such a major part of my life. ... As weird as that is.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Slytherin was what the sorting hat at Pottermore choose for me, I'd agree. I've thought about what I'd do if I existed as a wizard in the Potter universe and have come to the conclusion that I, like Voldemort, would create horcruxes. I wouldn't be particularly hostile but I'd certainly strike down anyone who attempts to pose a threat to me in any way.