What instrument do you play?

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
RAKtheUndead said:
I don't play a musical instrument at all, and I'm not about to start. I'm more interested in learning about things which i) might someday become useful and ii) that I might actually be somewhat good at. The learning of a musical instrument does not fill either of these categories, therefore it would be an utter waste of time even beyond my normal wastes of time. At least when I waste time looking up Wikipedia, I sometimes learn something useful.
If having fun, making others feel better, communicating a message in a meaningful way and producing audio waves pleasing to the ear is a waste of time; I'll waste my goddamn time all day. Music has been very useful in my life and I wouldn't be the same person without it. While I might not be somewhat good at the clarinet, I still pick it up because I can make people smile with it.

So yeah, I play the clarinet poorly. I won't be get richer monetarily but I'm richer in the soul for it.

No musician should go anywhere without hard work. I'm too lazy to but if I really wanted to, I could pursue it and someday play in an orchestra.

Bah, music rocks, cynics can go back into their hole and be "productive".

[sub][sub]Moo! [www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iIgQN5uZE&feature=related][/sub][/sub]

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Grog289 said:
Hello Escapists,
my parents have convinced me to take up an instrument so tomorrow I'm gonna go pick up a banjo. A lot of people see it as a hick/country instrument but I've heard some pretty badass banjo music from the likes of Mumford and Sons and Flogging Molly. So what instrument(s) do you play? any advice for someone learning an instrument for the first time?
As someone with a music degree, this is my advice:

-Don't be discouraged if things don't go well right away. It takes time to build up strength in your hand. Practice might not always be enjoyable, but it's essential.

-Start with the basics. Try not to jump ahead of yourself. If you can't do 'A', you won't be able to do 'A' while doing 'B' at the same time.

-You will feel better about your practicing if you can concentrate on a something simple that you enjoy. Music Theory is important, but I think it's more important to establish a basis of enjoyment with the instrument.

Those are just a few things, good luck with your playing!

Epidemiix

Custom Title Yay!
Jan 3, 2012
I have been playing drums of all kinds for almost my whole life (everyone in my family plays them it seems....) and I dabbled in playing the piano for a year. Right now I am teaching myself how to play the guitar..... and its somewhat working XD

Samuel Adams

Apr 16, 2009
ash-brewster said:
Guitar (and by extention of that bass) and piano mostly. Though I know a few basic drum basics.
Same but I know quite a bit about drums, and I can also play Saxophone.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
onewheeled999 said:
AnarchistFish said:
onewheeled999 said:
I learned pretty much everything on my own from tablature, without bothering to learn chords, theory, scales, and hell, I didn't even know the notes on a guitar fretboard until I took lessons a year or so into my playing. I beg of you, please don't try to get out of learning the basics just so you can play the specific things you want to play, like I did.
Any reason why?
The best way I can describe it is that if you only learn what you want to learn, then you will be extremely limited in your abilities. If you learn and expand on the basics over time, then you'll be much more versatile in what you're able to do with that instrument.

You know?
hmmmm, don't know. I seem to have gotten away without learning it in depth. You can still become quite fluent without musical theory with the guitar, maybe not so much with other instruments. I remember reading once that Slash didn't know or care about musical theory at all. Although I have learnt musical theory elsewhere and I do know a few basic chords