What is a Chav?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
The Red Dragon said:
They're a sub-species of humans that really ought to be studied extensively. They have bottles of cider growing out of their hands, and have developed a second skin that they like to call a tracksuit. Evolution is truly a strange thing.
Omg, Matthew, that's hilarious xD

Pictures of Chavs for your pleasure, OP!

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Ruwrak said:
They be telling me that I am a chav o.o
I'm not even from the UK! I was raised well, don't drink cheap alcohol (only the double numbers drinks) am generally quiet and so far not a nuisance.

What did I do wrong? XD
they might be trying to tell you off hahaha

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Joshimodo said:
this isnt my name said:
Still plenty of the bastrds in south Wales.
Yes there are, the worthless arseholes.
Sadly agreeing with this; they're smothered across the Valleys, in fact, I've just come from town and it was full of them. Shouting, swearing, spitting. Arghhghgh ;_;

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
hehee so true, however when I watch these people come on the show im just like "Where does he get these people from?!"
About 2 hours before the show starts, he goes down pound land and or Lydols with a net.
(i shop in Lydols now and then but seriously a good place for chav safari)

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rastien said:
hehee so true, however when I watch these people come on the show im just like "Where does he get these people from?!"
About 2 hours before the show starts, he goes down pound land and or Lydols with a net.
(i shop in Lydols now and then but seriously a good place for chav safari)
wow I just looked the show up, its like the Jerry Springer show except with Chris Hansen as the host.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Since it's close to christmas I think this song is appropriate in describing what chavs are like.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
iFail69 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

They make England more comical, gives the rest of us something to laugh at, constantly.

They hang out on street corners, drinking cheap alcohol, making noise, and generally being an idiotic nuisance.

They all have the same hat D:

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
You didn't need to make a thread just to ask us a question. You could have gone on Google or Wikipedia, and saved us Brits from having to think about them any more than we already do.
Rastien said:
Harry Brown is an extreme example of them but thats pretty much it. Chav is also an acronym see below.

Council
House
And
Violent

God knows why its become populour but they are just a nightmare majority of the time. To become a chav you must have complete distate for any form of authority wether it be school, police or your potential employer whilst feeling the world owes you something.

Needless to say the majority seem to have a massive chip on their shoulder for some reason.
The idea that Chav is an Acronym is something that came way after the name. Someone decided Chav (If it was an acronym it would be in all-caps, by the way) could be made into an acronym that included a massive generalisation of people in council houses.
Volf99 said:
KLJT said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?
Roma are a Race of people from modern day Iran or Turkey and were treated worse then the Jews during the holocaust, they are still hated all across Europe because of the negative stereotypes that surround them
I hate to nitpick but I think you mean ethnic group, not race.
"Race is classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status."
Race and Ethnicity are interchangeable in this situation, and Racism covers both. Don't be so pedantic.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Volf99 said:
thylasos said:
Volf99 said:
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.
The only reason you've not heard of chavs in Scotland is because they're called Neds up there, as they're called Charvers in other bits of England.
so are neds the ones that are infamous for giving people a Glasgow smile? Or is that a different group of people?
Neds are annoying little gits but mostly harmless, they usually threaten to chib you (stab). Glasgow smile just a name also known as a chelsea grin, not really invented by neds as it's alot old than that.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Type in MC Devvo on youtube and all will become clear.
Ninja'd! Well screw you I'm going to post it anyway!

He's fictional but pretty accurate.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
The idea that Chav is an Acronym is something that came way after the name. Someone decided Chav (If it was an acronym it would be in all-caps, by the way) could be made into an acronym that included a massive generalisation of people in council houses.
To be fair i just been sat reading uncyclopedia most the day so felt like making up crap on the spot :p but yeah its often known as that round here. Also note the "and" bit meaning you could

A)have a council house and not be violent

B)Be violent and not have a council house

C)Be violent and have a council flat (meaning you unfortuntley may well be a chav.)

Also /trollface :3

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
They are indeed a scourge on the planet, and I don't feel remotely bad about stereotyping them.

If you don't like being called a chav and treated like you're thieving, offensive, scummy twats, then it's quite simple, stop dressing like one, and stop acting like one :)

Lets me use one of my favourite lines too - 'Baseball caps are like pubic hair, you can remove it, but there'll still always be a c*** underneath.'

Honestly, if suddenly all chavs started wearing black t shirts, I'd stop wearing them, because I'd not want people thinking I was an antisocial arsehole, so they can't really complain that we're unfairly judging them. If I was going for a job in childminding I'd change out of the bloodstained clown suit first, in case my outfit affected their opinion of me.

Another thing that amazes me is their amazing ability to take a car worth £1000, (and yes, I mean 'take' most of the time), spend £5000 on upgrades, lights, and speakers, to leave it worth about a tenner. Including, putting a shitty huge exhaust in, just to make it loud.
What sort of unbelievable twat wants a noisy car? Oh yes, an antisocial chav twat.

I wouldn't be impressed if my mate put a piece of card in his PC fan to make it go BRRRRR all day, why would a stupid, unsuitable exhaust on a car with a lawnmower engine impress?

As for their habit of parking in car parks just to crank up their bass bins and annoy everyone in a mile with their godawful music choices. I LIKE electronica, but fuck where do they get the stuff they listen to? It sounds like a chipmunk singing over a pan pipes album with a shitty bassline dropped in.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
The pictures seem to be...wiggers...but missing all the rap...like if an island of white people suddenly gained no knowledge of rap and dressed how they felt it would be...

Also what is Coucil Housing?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
The pictures seem to be...wiggers...but missing all the rap...like if an island of white people suddenly gained no knowledge of rap and dressed how they felt it would be...

Houses owned by the government and loaned to tenants.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
arc1991 said:
I'll just leave this here...

Pretty much sums up what a chav is.
My good god. How did you come across this? The very dark side of YouTube is scary and hilarious.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Lt. Vinciti said:

Cheap/free housing provided by the goverment.