What Is Love?

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
fullmetalangel said:
This-is-Hip-Hop said:
My Advice, stick with it intill you feel nice and comfortable with her and then drop the three words.
I have HIV?

Anyway, I don't think I need to elaborate after Hip Hop so masterfully killed the thread.
We all have our expertise, mine just sometimes make me feel rather stupid.

Peach_hat

Jan 7, 2009
Citrus Insanity said:
The real question is "what is the difference between love and infatuation?"
If that were the real question, he would have asked that question.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Citrus Insanity said:
The real question is "what is the difference between love and infatuation?"

I know for a fact that love can't be a certainty until you're out of puberty.
And that right there is the million dollar answer. I won't say that you can't end up staying with the person you've been dating in high school, I know for a fact it happens, but far too often do I end up seeing the end result of girls I know ending up hurt because they were too infatuated to realize that the guy they were dating was either too controlling or only in it for the sex.

Oct 19, 2008
Kukul said:
Kahoony117 said:
Kukul said:
Kahoony117 said:
I haven't actually checked whether this has been done before (Hoping it hasn't)
but i just came home from a date, it was with a girlfriend of about 2 weeks. And i was pondering, when are you able to say that you actually love someone?
I've known this girl for a number of weeks, and we get along great, i asked her to go out on Valentines, and i've seen her thrice since.
So far, nothing too physical has happened, just kissing and cuddling, but i really feel asthough i "love" her.
What is love? And when are you able to say that you're "In Love"?
Oh boy, seems to me that you will have to spill a river of tears before you learn what love is, with that attitude.
Elaboration please?
Ok I don't want to be a sad, pesimistic son of a *****, but odds are that you will break up wih her in one way or another, find another girl, break up with her too etc.
In other words "This is going to get ugly before it's over"
Dude, you're 14, don't even think that any relationship you start now is going to last.
I'm not saying you shouldn't date girls, but don't put too much heart in it or you'll end up as an empty shell of a man, unable to love (like me :| )
Hmm, sneaky *****, looking at my intimate details.
I suppose you're right, but i think i should be able to enjoy the ride atleast. I've had relationships before which have felt certain to be love, and they ended.
As you predicted just then, and so i'm only now getting back into the groove, thanks for the wakeup man, and kudos for doing that without me thinking of you as a sad pesimistic son of a *****.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Baby don't hurt me no more...

Yes, I gave in. Don't judge me.

Anyway. I don't know. I'll give the standard useless answer people give when they don't know but don't want to admit it:

You'll know it when you feel it.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
fullmetalangel said:
This-is-Hip-Hop said:
We all have our expertise, mine just sometimes make me feel rather stupid.
I wish that were true... I don't have an expertise in anything. Anyway, self pity aside, what do you mean by that second bit?
I am not a fan of being Cheesy, and what I said, was pretty damn cheesy. It makes me a bit nauseuas when I read it, But its the best advice I could think of.

And you have Expertise, sheesh, you just gotta find it, I found cooking, though I catch some flak from liking to chop cucumbers (Yea, gotta love those Friends) Try everything you will find somethin somwhere. (More Cheesy)

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds.

----

On a more serious note, it's honestly rather hard to describe love in and of itself (Though TIHH put it rather nicely). You can think you know what it is, and be wrong. But in the end, you'll know it when you feel it.

It feels a lot like infatuation, but it has something else to it that's hard to explain. It manifests differently from person to person, so it's a pretty subjectively defined concept. In my case, I see it as a realization of a complement to your persona, a discovery of the missing piece, if you will.

For example, the woman I still proclaim to be my true love is an energetic and outgoing person, whereas I'm calm and introverted. Our other aspects mesh, and so our opposing sides, instead of clashing, balance each other out. She makes me cheery and energetic when I would normally be cynical and self-absorbed, and I'm able to calm her and provide a more balanced view of things. All in all, not a single serious argument has been had between us in the three years we've known each other. It's a truly wonderful feeling, but it's hard to understand from words alone.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
"So when it came time for Harlow to present his findings, we're guessing he just summed it up as, 'What is love? Well, you know that feeling you get when you've been locked in a tiny dark space alone for a year? It's the opposite of that.' "
-cracked

Aug 2, 2008
Kahoony117 said:
Dr_Baron_von_Evilsatan said:
Do you mean 'love' or 'true love'? Because I consider them to be quite different.
Well depends, define both, and we'll see which one seems to fit.
Well we have 'love' as 'I really really like you', and 'true love' as 'I want to spend the rest of my life with you'. Reading this now, I realize that both my question and this answer don't pertain all that well the the original post, and were a waste of time. Let me try this again.

As suggested before, it all really depends on people's definition of the word. I personally define love as just a strong sense of the word 'like', and true love being the thing many people strive for, but fall short. The latter is something I feel can only be found after spending a LONG time with the significant other (years even). I was lucky enough to find it, but it took me a long time to know for sure.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
You wont know what love is until you are completely crushed, but you continue any ways for that one girl...
well..thats how it is for me right now...

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Ill trade lifeguard for "Waiter at a Retirement Home"

Ohhh the stories I could tell about all those crazy old people, though heres a hint, I have had to tell my mother many times that Tapioca pudding is worse then crisco for Stickiness.

Cogings

Jan 15, 2009
Kukul said:
Kahoony117 said:
Kukul said:
Kahoony117 said:
Kukul said:
Kahoony117 said:
I haven't actually checked whether this has been done before (Hoping it hasn't)
but i just came home from a date, it was with a girlfriend of about 2 weeks. And i was pondering, when are you able to say that you actually love someone?
I've known this girl for a number of weeks, and we get along great, i asked her to go out on Valentines, and i've seen her thrice since.
So far, nothing too physical has happened, just kissing and cuddling, but i really feel asthough i "love" her.
What is love? And when are you able to say that you're "In Love"?
Oh boy, seems to me that you will have to spill a river of tears before you learn what love is, with that attitude.
Elaboration please?
Ok I don't want to be a sad, pesimistic son of a *****, but odds are that you will break up wih her in one way or another, find another girl, break up with her too etc.
In other words "This is going to get ugly before it's over"
Dude, you're 14, don't even think that any relationship you start now is going to last.
I'm not saying you shouldn't date girls, but don't put too much heart in it or you'll end up as an empty shell of a man, unable to love (like me :| )
Hmm, sneaky *****, looking at my intimate details.
I suppose you're right, but i think i should be able to enjoy the ride atleast. I've had relationships before which have felt certain to be love, and they ended.
As you predicted just then, and so i'm only now getting back into the groove, thanks for the wakeup man, and kudos for doing that without me thinking of you as a sad pesimistic son of a *****.
"enjoy the ride": Now that's the right attitude. I'm not saying you should be cold and distant to your girlfriends in the next 10 yeas or so, but I think you should spare one, dearest part of your soul for that special woman that you want to be the mother of your children. That is love IMO.
PS: Remember that relationships are getting more and more demanding as you age.
Good call, these next few years involved (or at least did for me) a lot of failings, but loads of learning about girls, so yeah, just enjoy the ride and take notes, mental notes, I don't think actually notes would go down with most girls and most importantly don't get too down about anything that happens!

Or just check the all knowing Wikipedia [link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love[/link]

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
"I understand now, there's no choir of angels when you meet the right person. It's about growing out of your fears to realize what you have is what you want."
http://xkcd.com/310/

That is what I believe to be the perfect explanation for love.

VSR

Feb 2, 2009
baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me

no more.

sorry i couldn't resist. I also don't think love can really be articulated; it's something you have to feel to understand

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
I see I'm not the only one who thought of the song reference after reading the forum title.

Anyway, love is a pretty relative word and You really have to spend a lot of time with someone to see if you truly like them. Especially considering you've only gone out with her for no more then a couple of weeks. In fact, the first girl I went out with started to seem more like an annoying ***** the more I went out with her. You got to know a lot about her if you ever want to ensure you won't regret say that you love her to her.