What is the best "Elder scrolls" game out of "Morrowind" "Oblivion" and "Skyrim"

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Easily Morrowind. I know it's old and glitchy, but it's still my favourite. Skyrim comes second. Oblivion, while still enjoyable, just doesn't compare to the other two.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
In terms of feeling like your actions matter, I'd say Morrowind.

In terms of engine and immersion, Skyrim. I'll echo what's been said about Skyrim having been dumbed down for the masses, but I found myself much more absorbed in it than any of the previous two.

EDIT: If we put mods into the equation Morrowblivion gets the cookie. It's still green, but Morrowind in Oblivion's Engine is pretty freakin' awesome.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Can I just have a fusion of all the best parts of both Oblivion and Skyrim? If I had to pick, could I just have Oblivion with Skyrim-style leveling/perks?

Honestly, even after playing Oblivion and Skyrim, I'm not sure which one I prefer...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Morrowind was awesome, even though it had some control flaws. Oblivion comes second and seems like a simpler game overall in comparison. Skyrim was plain boring. The other two games i played many times over, Skyrim i just can not be bothered to replay.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Oblivion. I know Morrowind is great and all but I came to it too late and it's not easy enough to play it and I'm lazy. Skyrim is boring. It's functionally better than Oblivion but the guild quests, side quests, daedra quests are all way less interesting and less fun for me. The only thing better is the main quest, which isn't even that good anyway.

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
Oblivion,Hands down
It had interesting and welcoming story elements for newcomers.Improvement on graphical layout and complexity upon the system.No matter what it was a huge improvement on AI,graphic,story,game mechanics and content
AND i am challenging to prove me against the sum of the series
You got 3 options:
skyrim lame story
morrowind bad mechanics
accept my opinion

It will require new thread

Challenge on the escapists thats new
(just pinpointing my favorite arguments )

RatherDashing89

Jan 11, 2013
I still don't get the "Skyrim is dumbed down". I didn't play Morrowwind, but compared to Oblivion, what did Skyrim removed that had any kind of compelling affect on building your character?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Berithil said:
INB4 Arena/Daggerfall was the bes-
lacktheknack said:
But Daggerfall is best! ;__;

Of those, I prefer Skyrim, because two-handed spells.
... Nevermind...

I prefered the gameplay of Skyrim but Morrowind for everything else. Even though Morrowind's combat system was crap, it was still a really great game. What does that say about it?
You are wrong Battle spire was the best because its the only game I know with fireball firing underwear.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
None of them is better than the others to me. Morrowind has the best story and world. But the gameplay itself is pretty damn flawed. Oblivion on the other hand had very good gameplay, but poor a story and world. Skyrim has a good world and gameplay, but the main story is really uninteresting and the skill system is so...incredibly simplified and not fun any more.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Hyper-space said:
My personal favorite is Oblivion, it was the one that first got me heavily into RPGs, but the answer to this question depends heavily on which one you played first and when.
Pretty much this.

I bought Oblivion for PC off a friends recommendation wihout even looking at trailers/gameplay footage, but when I saw the cover I thought "oh no, its gonna be some RTS piece of shit" How (thankfully) wrong i was, and i've loved Elder Scrolls games ever since.

That said, I thought Skyrim was brilliant.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
wow how sad am i really the only one old enough here to know there there where more than three elder scrolls? shame on you interwebs - back in the day id say "Arena" blew everything away that was arround "Daggerfall" was sorta more of the same but buggier so id go with "Arena"

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
I would have to say Skyrim.
I have put way more hours into Skyrim than Oblivion and I continue to enjoy finding random dungeons which end up leading into another adventure in itself. I never felt compelled to do that in Oblivion.
I also much prefer the combat and leveling in Skyrim.

In terms of graphics i liked Oblivion's colourful feel but Skyrim felt much more immersive. I couldn't get into Morrowind's environment. It felt to dark but than again I have only been around the starting areas so I could be very wrong about that.

Morrowind in general... I just have not been able to get into. It feels too slow paced and when I play I just think "well the others did this and that much better".

I also plan on going back to Skyrim. I still haven't played any of the DLC's so there is still more to be done in Skyrim for me.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
I think all three of these games are great in their own ways, which I shall explain. :3

I love Morrowind because, despite its age (and possibly because of it), it's a great in-depth RPG experience. Plenty of skills, a VERY broad armor system, a good list of racial selections, and a hearty list of spells and magical effects to use and combine. My favorite type of character was a stealthy thief that was good at restoration, illusion, and alchemy.

Oblivion was a fun game in that it gave some extra depth to the world, improving NPC behaviors and even adding interpersonal dialogue! That point there is one of my favorite details, letting you gain some extra information and even a quest from simply listening to the people talk amongst themselves. On the downside, the armor is more limited, the spell effects are less numerous (Levitation, you are sorely missed! T_T), and the enchanting and spellmaking system is much more limiting. I can only enchant items at the Arcane University? That's not fair! That and the faces. Oh Gods, the faces... XC

Skyrim is a beautifully made world with fantastic graphics and a great addition to the Elder Scrolls lore, though some points fall quite flat in my eyes. The magic system is even more stripped down than before, only letting the player use the basic spells that one finds in books. The enchantment system has been completely separated from the standard spells, and enchanting (AND Alchemy) can only be done at special worktables? That's kind of a dick move if you ask me. What if I'm cripplingly low on health in the middle of nowhere and have a load of ingredients that I can make health potions out of? Use the default healing spell? I'm not a mage! My Restoration is only 10!

As far as picking my one personal favorite out of the bunch, it'd have to be Morrowind. Yes, it's old and the graphics leave MUCH to be desired, there are numerous mods out there to remedy that very trivial problem.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Morrowind hands down, because magic was not just a viable option it was the best option.
Also levitation and all the other spells that allowed the shenanigans I got into...

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
ischmalud said:
wow how sad am i really the only one old enough here to know there there where more than three elder scrolls? shame on you interwebs - back in the day id say "Arena" blew everything away that was arround "Daggerfall" was sorta more of the same but buggier so id go with "Arena"
There are some people who only played Oblivion and Skyrim. May Lord have mercy on those poor souls... :D

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I am of the mindset that each game was an overall improvement over the one that came before it. Sure there are some things that I think Morrowind does better but I still think Skyrim is better in almost every way.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I haven't played through Morrowind, because the luck-based combat can go fuck itself. There are probably mods to fix that, but... I'll just deal with it later. Personally, I prefer Skyrim to Oblivon, though Oblivion very clearly had better sidequests. But not much else.

This guy highlights the successes and faults of all three of these games: EDIT: I should point out that only some of the points he makes are good, and yes, he does whinge about casual gaming way too much.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
In my order of preference

Morrowind
Best location, story, and spells

Oblivion
Did the combat better and let you buy and upgrade some really cool houses.

Skyrim
Boring for the most part

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Damn, I liked all of them. Still, Skyrim wins by a narrow margin. While each game has their own strengths (in Morrowind it was the world-building, in Oblivion it was the interesting quests) Skyrim wins for the simple reason that it has the fewest glaring flaws. It has a good setting, decent quests and almost scary amounts of content and comparatively few aspects that were broken on a fundamental design level. It has to be admitted that while the Elder Scrolls is an awesome series, its games are a might unfinished. (Looking at you Daggerfall. How can a game be so amazing and so terrible all at once?)

But if we're counting expansion packs, Oblivion wins for Shivering Isles. That game was the shit.