What is the best "Elder scrolls" game out of "Morrowind" "Oblivion" and "Skyrim"

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Vrach said:
solemnwar said:
Vrach said:
Dree said:
I have played all of them and feel that my favorite is still by far "Morrowind". Don't get me wrong i enjoyed "Skyrim" but feel it has been dumbed down and simplified for the masses and that if you made a mistake in "Morrowind" it had real consequence.
Yep, Morrowind. I loved the fact you had to actually navigate and explore and not just have a GPS marker handed to you.
Although it got a bit annoying when someone would tell you "take item x to person b" but not actually tell you where person b was. Oh well, at least walkthroughs exist.

OT: I preferred Skyrim over all of them, the aesthetics were a lot more pleasing (I think half my screenshots in my steam profile are of the night sky) and it did simplify things to stop making them such a horrible mess. Although my introduction into the series was Oblivion, which holds a special place in my heart.

I think the most upsetting thing was losing the fucking awful hilarious voice-acting from the previous two games, and the way the Oblivion journal system was set up. Morrowind's journal system was AWFUL, but there's something lacklustre about Skyrim's. It feels a lot less... integrated? Than the previous two.

As for the earlier titles, I can't say anything about them, never played them, and they don't even worked on our technology of the future for the most part, do they?
If I remember correctly, they gave you a general location and you had to ask around about the person. Worked for me as I really loved all the exploring. Don't get me wrong, I loved both Oblivion and Skyrim, but Morrowind just did a lot of things right and had more uniqueness than them imo.
Usually, which was fine. There were a few assholes though... I can't even remember who, I can only play Morrowind in tiny bits, but some of them were like "go find x" and didn't say anything else about them. God bless the internet in that regard.

I've tried to get into Morrowind multiple times, though, but there's just something about it that makes me shake my head. Maybe because I didn't really get into gaming until 2009, idk.

Although I got really, really confused at one point after a long break and suddenly I was one-shotting everything with my bow when last I remembered I had to go through like 50 arrows before something would die. Not sure what happened there o_O

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
For me, Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. I Started with Oblivion, then went to Skyrim, then went to Morrowind. The reasons I consider Morrowind the best and Oblivion the worst are pretty lengthly but this guy sums it up amazingly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind. I played Oblivion first, the quest lines were way better and more satisfying than Skyrim's but otherwise Skyrim was basically a straight upgrade. Morrowind I didn't play until after I'd played Skyrim, at which point the dated graphics and gameplay just grated too much. Chances are if I'd played Morrowind first I would have loved it, but after playing the other two I just couldn't make myself play more than about half an hour.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Dree said:
I have played all of them and feel that my favorite is still by far "Morrowind". Don't get me wrong i enjoyed "Skyrim" but feel it has been dumbed down and simplified for the masses and that if you made a mistake in "Morrowind" it had real consequence.
I have tried so hard to play and love Morrowind. So hard. But each and every time I'm just kicked in the face by the terrible combat and absolute lack of any directional assistance; I spend my entire playtime lost It's a shame because I've heard so many good things about it.

As far as consequences go, I really liked Oblivion for that. Sure the characters were wooden, the voice acting repetitive at best and the levelling system just plain broken but I still love that game. I loved picking the major and minor skills at the beginning. You decided who your character was at the BEGINNING. You made a commitment and you couldn't change that.

In my main play of Oblivion I put stealth in my minor skills because I didn't think I'd play a stealthy character, I later regretted the decision and it made levelling stealth up much harder. But that was great because I could think of an in-world reason for my character's poor stealth ability. Skyrim's "you can be anyone, do anything" system of skill allocation doesn't appeal to me.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind
Skyrim really evokes the desire to explore, has the best leveling mechanics out of the three, and I could honestly fight dragons all day and not get bored (yeah yeah they're not dragons by some standards. They're giant flying lizards that breathe fire, hence dragons!)

Oblivion was the first game I ever played that truly felt alive. The NPCs interacted with each other without player assistance and wildlife acted like wildlife. Living in woodlands myself, every time I looked outside I had the sudden urge to play Oblivion. Negative points for the enemy leveling system in play so everything stayed right at your level. It killed any sense of accomplishment.

Morrowind was nearly inaccessible at first. Every NPC had the same chat options so instead of simply enjoying the flavor text, I'd have to click through every option to find my quests, if there were any. That and the skill system made every attack and spell cast a roll of the dice. You could be standing on top of an enemy, slash at him, see the blade clearly connect, and do no damage because the offscreen diceroll was bad. This improves with skill sure but it's a huge barrier for entry. Morrowind had unusual terrain yes, but I much prefer Cyrodiil and Skyrim's more traditional fantasy settings to Morrowind's marshlands and deserts.

Kaamos

Oct 2, 2012
I guess I'd say Oblivion since I put the most time into it, then Skyrim in close second and, well, Morrowind... way down there. I just felt the most connection to Oblivion, the environment was just so lush and interesting. I still remember a lot of the quests, even the side ones. Like the one where you go inside that painting and fight trolls, the awesome thieves guild final quest, and I just freakin love the Ayleid ruins. The game was far from perfect though, it's probably just nostalgia blindness since it was my first Elder Scrolls.

Skyrim was great, I was so excited when I first started it, but then it just sort of got boring after I beat it, even with mods and stuff. And after I played Dragon's Dogma it just really struck me how dull Skyrim's combat was. The two expansions look really interesting though.

Morrowind was just awful the whole way through, boring brown ass environments, terrible ass combat, fucking textbooks of boring dialogue and THAT ONE QUEST that was like, twenty fetch quests rolled into one is the worst quest in any game ever made, and you HAD to do it unless you took some bizarre alternate route that required you to have like a ton of health or whatever. I seriously quit playing for like, a year after I read what I had to to do, then I had to force myself to beat it when I got it for PC around the time Skyrim was announced. I even like old school RPGs and stuff, but Morrowind is just so gosh darn boring.

Also I've only played Arena for like, an hour, and never got Daggerfall working so yeah.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
Skyrim for best gameplay
Oblivion for best storyline
Morrowind for best 'wtf am i supposed to do this is a game i dont want to pay attention'

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
My vote is for daggerfall. Huge map, amazing customisation, some fantastic emergent game play and (as I understand it) quite a good story. Dear Bethesda, please make a new Daggerfall. I don't care if it even has Morrowind-level graphics, I just want that sh*t in 3D! D:

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Woah ho! You've opened a very controversial subject.
There are people that will swear that Morrowind is the best RPG game ever created,others will tell you that Oblivion has the most soul and that the other games are soulless,and some others will tell you that Skyrim is the best game of the decade.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.
The thing is that with every new TES game Bethesda adds some new features and removes some old ones. So while every game of the series shares the same core features that makes up its foundation, (open world,free roaming,character creation...) the bricks that are build up on the foundations are different. And eventually its up on the different tastes of people.

Skyrim has smithing and killcams that are absent in Oblivion and Morrowind.

Oblivion has a dynamic persuasion system,and its combat system is the one that relies on player's reflexes most.

Morrowind offer way more choices to the player,and the player can impact and change the world of the game more than in any other game.

Depending on the features you will like most,you will also like one of the games generally most,without that meaning that the other games are generally worse.

What has been noticed however is that as time passes by the amount of content that the games feature become less.
Morrowind had more skills,spells,items,unique quests,armors,and weapons than Oblivion,and Oblivion had more of all of that than Skyrim. It is true that the series loose depth as time pass and demand less and less thought from the player. That could be a good or a bad point depending on your background however. If you are an RPG hardcore player who grew up playing and loving pen&paper RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons,you won't like the loss of classic RPG elements that the series is going through. But if you were never an RPG guy and always found classic RPGs too complex and boring for your taste,you will like latter games more.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
deviltry said:
ischmalud said:
wow how sad am i really the only one old enough here to know there there where more than three elder scrolls? shame on you interwebs - back in the day id say "Arena" blew everything away that was arround "Daggerfall" was sorta more of the same but buggier so id go with "Arena"
There are some people who only played Oblivion and Skyrim. May Lord have mercy on those poor souls... :D
mwahaha shouldnt that be - May the Gods have mercy on your soul ;)?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Skyrim

I will never understand the fascination behind morrowind, yeah it's more RPG than Skyrim but who gives a flying fuck? I'm killing DRAGONS!

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I thought the consensus among hipsters, similar to the old FF6 trumps all notion, was that Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim for gameplay/story, but of course the graphics and polish are the reverse, leading everyone to be relatively pleased with all of them.

I never played more than a weekend's worth of Morrowind, and Oblivion was a game I kind of skipped across like a flat rock over water so I can't really comment. It is apparent that the hardcore D&D structure of the older games is being replaced by a more soft-core interface for people not into calculating what your THAC0 will be at level 90, and this, for me personally, is displeasing. Like Dragon Age or LotR, sure you bring in more funds from more people, but the charm of the original experience is replaced by this watered down system that ultimately restricts your experience in some areas.

A person's view is inevitably going to be tinted by which game was the first for them. The gameplay will be original and enjoyable, and future games will just be inferior sequels while older games are too inaccessible/intolerable graphically.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Hyper-space said:
the answer to this question depends heavily on which one you played first and when.
Pretty much that. However, most people tend to agree that Morrowind is the most sandboxy one, without having to resort to randomly generated content and level scaling, and that it has the most interesting and unusual world. As for the gameplay and UI... they might seem horrible to most young people these days, but I am a 30 year old guy who has seen HELL with his own eyes (see: Might and Magic), so when I played it on release it felt absolutely heavenly.

Yarhj

Jan 17, 2013
Apologies in advance for this wall of text. Slow work day.

tl;dr: I liked the first game I played, too, and here's a giant post about it for no reason!

I've played the most recent Elder scrolls games pretty heavily(Morrowind: 500+ hours, Oblivion: ~100 hours, Skyrim: ~100 hours), and I tinkered around with Arena a bit when Bethesda released the free version. I haven't gotten around to Daggerfall, though I hear it's great if you can actually get it to run. Before we continue I'm just going to slap a massive IMHO tag on everything that follows. Like pretty much everyone, I like the game I played first, best. Just like all the other posters, I am completely objective, and not simply arguing from a platform of wistful nostalgia. I'm glad we're all such reasonable people!

Morrowind was fantastic. Skyrim was pretty good. Oblivion just didn't do it for me.

I'll briefly list a few reasons why I like Morrowind so much, then I'll blather on about them at length like your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving. (If you don't have a drunk uncle, you really ought to get one. They really liven up holidays.)
1. Morrowind felt like a much larger and more varied world than Oblivion or Skyrim
2. Morrowind gave the player incredible freedom (far, far more than the others)
3. Morrowind had more and better factions and side stories (more stuff to do! more ways to feel like you were changing the world!)

Other games hold your hand. Morrowind shoves you off a boat and spits in your face. OK, maybe I'm not making the compelling case I think I am, let's back up.

Stepping off the boat into an immense world where everyone either ignored or disliked you was so refreshing after so many games that held your hand and made you the center of the world. Finding out you could do pretty much whatever you could get away with (starting off with theft and ramping up to murder and beyond) was incredibly liberating.

Morrowind gave the player much greater freedom than either Oblivion or Skyrim -- it gave the player the freedom to completely destroy the game. There were no unpickable locks -- if you were good enough with a lockpick or handy enough with spells you could go pretty much anywhere. Somewhere around my 200th hour of gameplay I picked the lock on God's door, killed him, trapped his soul in a jar, and added the jar to the continuously-growing shrine to my own awesomeness which I built in a house I appropriated**. If you were up for a hellish slog, you could go give the final boss a visit before you even started the main quest. He even had dialogue written in case you showed up too early! (He was very polite, though I don't think he offered me tea)

If you killed an NPC you needed, or you lost some quest item, too bad. Luckily, there were so many things to do that it hardly mattered if you broke a quest here or there -- you took your lumps and moved on. Or maybe you killed the quest-giver and took the shiny hat he was going to give you in the first place. Even so, if you somehow managed to break the main quest, there was a back channel for you to get what you needed if you looked hard enough. (Of course if you weren't strong enough, the hacked-together doomwidget you made would kill you instantly and without warning, but if you hadn't stabbed poor old Caius Cosades in the face in the first place then you wouldn't have to deal with such inconveniences)

I've seen a lot of people complaining about how hard it was to find a particular dungeon or NPC or item, but that's not how you play Morrowind. Instead of hunting for this particular item, or that particular person, you wander the world and see what there is to see. And there's so much to see! All the while you keep track of your progress with the various factions, and if you're lucky you may come across something you actually needed for a quest at some point. Morrowind is not an RPG with an exploration element, it's an exploration game with some RPG features.

Which brings me to the factions -- Morrowind had much better faction quests and storylines than either Oblivion or Skyrim. Of course there were the requisite fighters guild, mages guild, and thieves guild, as you would expect, but you could also join one of the three great houses and eventually build yourself a stronghold somewhere. The Morag Tong was just cooler than the Dark Brotherhood. You could join not only the Imperial Legion, but also the Imperial Cult and the Tribunal Temple! On top of all that, if you became a vampire you found out that there were actually three separate vampire clans, with their own storylines and quests. Trying to balance the requests and demands of all of these factions was great fun, as most of them weren't on particularly rosy terms, just about all NPCs had some sort of faction affiliation, and pissing one of them off too much could get you banned permanently.

That's not to say that there weren't issues. The combat system was pretty clunky, and the skill-based chance to hit made fighting with a new weapon pretty painful. After leveling a bit it wasn't bad, but you'll never hear anyone call Morrowind's combat elegant, polished, or even good. The skill system was undeniably confusing and arcane -- I liked the complexity of it, and the way it made each character feel unique, but I can definitely see how it could be a friction point for others. At low levels some skills felt unusable (archery, I'm looking at you), and at high levels some skills were nonsensical (Acrobatics -> I CAN FLY!); I didn't mind the initial slog, and I loved the over the top maxed out skills, but I can understand how those could be frustrating or screw with people's suspension of disbelief. Hell, just walking from place to place took forever until you got your acrobatics up!

Oblivion just felt much smaller by comparison. There were plenty of dungeons to hunt through, but outside of the dungeons the world just didn't feel as interesting. The factions were far less compelling, and their interactions were less byzantine (I never thought I'd list "byzantine interactions" as a good thing!). The main quest didn't really grab me, though that's pretty subjective. The oblivion gate mechanic was an interesting way to add some new areas, but didn't really add much in the way of actual playable content. Most egregiously, the leveled monsters and loot made leveling any non-combat skill a terrible choice early on, severely restricting playstyles and making most dungeons feel pretty generic. I also really disliked the voiced dialogue for all the NPCs and the creepy fish-eyed stare you'd have to endure every time you talked to someone. I much preferred the written dialogue in Morrowind, both because there was more of it and because I didn't have to spend nearly so much time in the uncanny valley. Though Oblivion fixed some issues with combat (especially the super high miss chance), it never really felt great to me. That could perhaps be because I spent all my time getting my ass kicked by leveled monsters because I kept leveling off of sneak, speechcraft, and lockpicking.

Skyrim dialed the leveled monsters back a bit, but not enough that most dungeons didn't feel pretty generic. Fighting dragons was ok at first, but it just got silly after a while when they were far easier to kill than some random Draugr in some generic tomb. The dialogue is a bit better in Skyrim, but weird voice changes and uncomfortable staring persist. Again, there were plenty of dungeons to crawl and things to kill, but it felt like there were less things to do.

It's entirely possible (and quite likely) that I just feel like Morrowind is so great because I played it at a time in my life when I had a ton of free time to spend exploring the world, but Oblivion and Skyrim just never really clicked with me in the same way. I'm going to stop myself for now, because I have a strong urge to shake a stick and tell everyone to get off my lawn. If I keep going much longer I'll spend as much time talking about TES games as I did playing them!

** Quick aside: in Oblivion and Skyrim it's a huge pain to arrange items in the world -- half the fun of Morrowind was turning some sap's house into a showroom for all your cool stuff! I know you can buy houses and put armor and weapons on display in both the other games, but in Morrowind you could just kill someone and take their house (provided no one saw you do it, of course!) or find an empty house and make it your own. It was also much easier to place items, so you could build towers of all the rare books you found, cover tables with all the cool weapons you found, and generally rework the place. You could build yourself a throne of skulls, or a throne of apples, and generally make cool stuff to show off to your friends.

aXFireXHeartXa

Jun 24, 2010
Dree said:
That is exactly how I feel. I have enjoyed every Elder Scrolls game, and thought all these new features they've added in each one (smithing, horseback fighting, fast travel, etc.) are great and entertaining, but when I compare it to Morrowind it feels emptier. I remember in Morrowind casting spells with a dozen different effects but in Skyrim there isn't even a school of Mysticism. Also in Morrowind, when I found an artifact like the Dragonbone Cuirass or Umbra, I used them from start to finish because those were the best items in the game, however, in Oblivion and Skyrim the artifacts I find are only good for sticking in a trophy case.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Oblivion wins in the unmodded department, the base game is pretty good and had me hooked for several hundred hours before I needed to start modding it.

Morrowind would win if you mod out the god-awful combat system.