What is the best written videogame ever?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
FargoDog said:
Oh, totally Just Cause 2. <.<
Good call Serraduu!

I'm going to go for Sonic the Hedgehog, it's simplicity and optional story (because it's written in the manual) and focus on gameplay is excellent. It's not shoved in your face or unskippable.

Seriously I have no favorites, I AM tired of games shoving story in despite you going through the game 4 times like oooh say Gears of War. Let us slowly walk and chat while we go to the next battle.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Saying "Portal" at this point is redundant. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that hasn't suffered a full frontal lobotomy that Portal is damn near flawless, and the writing is definitely up to that insane standard.

Valve, in general, tends to do very good writing and story telling, even when there's very little of it (like TF2).

Then you have Rockstar, which tends to be a bit inconsistent... Rapidly switching between toilet humor and epic tales. You do need to point out their two biggest successes in the whole writing department (and in general): GTA IV and The Ballad of Gay Tony. Don't get me wrong, most GTAs get pretty decent (at least) writing, and I LOOOOOOOVED the shit out of Vice City, but Niko Bellic's and Luis Fernando Lopez's stories were the only ones that manage to constantly drag me away from the sandboxing just to see what happened next and how it would finish.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
KOTOR 2 had some pretty good writing all things considered, too bad the rest of the game was such a mixed bag.
Wha?

We did play the same game right? The one with the big evil bad guy for half of it who eats worlds yet goes down like a butterfly in a chloroform factory?

The game that once you kill said guy, about two missions in, throws you another random bad guy without any real backstory and which contains so many unfinished plot threads you could probably knit a sweater out of them?

I mean, what about that droid who zaps your droid who is supposed to set off the bomb and says 'now we wait and see the world end' or something similar to that...then nothing else happens.

I know the game was forced out early so its not Biowares fault necessarily but unfinished writing is definately not good writing.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
BroJing said:
AlternatePFG said:
KOTOR 2 had some pretty good writing all things considered, too bad the rest of the game was such a mixed bag.
Wha?

We did play the same game right? The one with the big evil bad guy for half of it who eats worlds yet goes down like a butterfly in a chloroform factory?

The game that once you kill said guy, about two missions in, throws you another random bad guy without any real backstory and which contains so many unfinished plot threads you could probably knit a sweater out of them?

I mean, what about that droid who zaps your droid who is supposed to set off the bomb and says 'now we wait and see the world end' or something similar to that...then nothing else happens.

I know the game was forced out early so its not Biowares fault necessarily but unfinished writing is definately not good writing.
The planet eating villain was tricked and in a much weaker state than he normally would have been.
Also who is the Random Bad guy? I'm totally confused what you mean by that. Do you mean the one that you met near the beginning of the game, the one with all the scars and the former apprentice of one your party members? Who knew that he was going to end up being a bad guy you would end up fighting. >_> He also had some back story if you talked to Kreia enough in the game, his character is fine I think for what he was.
The droid stuff didn't really make sense though, too unfinished.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
If you paid attention to the story you would know that the planet eating villain was tricked and in a much weaker state than he normally would have been.
Also who is the Random Bad guy? I'm totally confused what you mean by that. Do you mean the one that you met near the beginning of the game, the one with all the scars and the former apprentice of one your party members? Who knew that he was going to end up being a bad guy you would end up fighting. >_> The droid stuff didn't really make sense though, too unfinished.
I did pick that up but the justification was still pretty weak (admittedly I no longer remember the excact details but I remember thinking 'Really, the dark lord of the sith doesn't see this coming?'). Basically after KOTOR, a game I loved for storyline as much as gameplay number 2 let me down so badly it was like seeing the Episode 1 the first time all over again.

Don't get me started on the evil woman in your party. But in fairness to KOTOR2 the 'He/She's blatantly evil! Why are none of you seeing this!' is nothing new in games.

skeliton112

Aug 12, 2009
Dead_Man said:
Bioshock all the way! like cmon, whos mind didnt get blown when you found out jack is a clone!(though i think alot of us knew atlas was fontaine)
I hadn't finished it yet, ty for spoiler. :(

I honestly didnt know that.

EDIT: forgot, i liked portals writing and the clues around the outside of the walls.

Rogun11

Apr 10, 2009
I quite liked persona 4. Sure it was a bit cheesy but it was well written with a few "wtf" moments.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
I'd say System Shock 1, Final Fantasy 9 (Necron notwithstanding), Grim Fandango, Portal, Monkey Island pre-shark jumping.