What is the best written videogame ever?

Syrus Vikeruce

Jul 12, 2010
I'd say Metal Gear but the overuse of nanomachines and Snake's IQ are pretty damn bad so I'll go with my favourite story games.

Silent Hill 2, 3 + 4. New ones suck IMO. =/

Syrus Vikeruce

Jul 12, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
I'd say System Shock 1, Final Fantasy 9 (Necron notwithstanding), Grim Fandango, Portal, Monkey Island pre-shark jumping.
Well done my friend you actually mentioned Fantasy 9 and for it you win an internet medal. But beware of the fanboys' attack. =O

Raziello

Jul 22, 2010
Most Bioware Games (goes without saying really),
&
The Legacy Of Kain Series (Words can not express how much i love that series, i really wish they would make another, i really want to know whats going to happen next)

May 28, 2009
Bioshock, The Mass Effect series and possibly the Metal Gear Series.

Though some of the Final Fantasy's have a good story.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The first one that comes to mind is Dragon Age: Origins. After that: Half-Life

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well in terms of comedy, Destroy All Humans! and Destroy All Humans! 2 make me laugh the most.

I loved Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction's writing, the different characters and their completely different personalities was great for me. Plus hearing Carl Weathers and Peter Stormare talk is always good.

Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. I love how everyone always has a good long story and background lore, something Fallout 3 lacked.

benjtfell

Apr 2, 2009
Portal, the story didn't get in the way of Gameplay yet you laughed you head of at how dark humourd it is.

I've always found that the Bioware and MGS games get a bit up there own arse with too much talking which most of the time is dull and boring

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
thenamelessloser said:
SageRuffin said:
That I've played? Jade Empire.

Too bad the morality system was still the usual "good vs. evil" as opposed to, from what I could tell, ideally "lawful neutral vs chaotic neutral". Ah well.
To relate this to other posts in this topic, I so much want Bioware to have Obsidan make Jade Empire 2. Imagine a Jade Empire game written/designed by Chris Avellone.

::drools::
Personally I think that would be a disaster. Am I the only person who when looking at Obsidain sees:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - Game-breaking bugs
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Game-breaking bugs
Alpha Protocol - Game-breaking bugs
Fallout: New Vegas - Game-breaking bugs

Not much point having a great writer if you can't make a game.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
No More Heroes has a good balance of Drama, Humour, and occasional self-parody. It's strange and wonderful.

Killer7 is also worthy of mention, if only because of this...

Yeah, Suda51 kicks ass. I like how he seems to understand many different cultures, and all of his games seem to have a certain level of polish and refinement.
No, seriously.

Elliee

Oct 13, 2010
I like the story from "Beyond Good & Evil" but now I think is a little bit... childish/naive/trivial. Ok... It's not the best written videogame ever.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
A lot of what I'm seeing here is mostly just "games with A LOT of writing", not strictly well-written games. The Mass Effect universe gets mentioned way more than it deserves - I adore the games, I love the characters, and the setting is well-conceived, but the main story is as generic as space opera gets. The dialogue is good, sure, and the ME2 loyalty missions are the pinnacle of it all, but the context of the second game is entirely clumsy and uninspired. Basically, they reboot everything, re-introduce generic-humanoid-alien-cannon-fodder antagonists, and end the whole thing with another status quo. It felt like a Voyager episode, and you cannot afford a filler when you're making a pre-planned trilogy, otherwise everything important will be anticlimactically stuffed into the third part.

Dragon Age had the same stellar BioWare characters, and a main plot that's typical, but very functional (kinda what ME1 had), and it had a much less rigid structure than ME or KotOR, so you couldn't entirely predict the entire game as soon as you enter that "choose quest locations in whatever order" part. The thing that bugs me with newer BioWare games is that they feel a bit too mechanical; there is almost an audible "clunk!" when you finish a mission, and you're back in camp/on the ship and everyone's dialogue resets so you can continue to interrogate them. This makes NPCs kinda like story dispensers.

In any case, I'd say Planescape: Torment; not because it has a lot of writing, but because it manages to be meaningful and humorous at the same time. The story isn't exacly light-hearted, and deals with rather problematic issues, but it manages to keep it witty and tongue-in-cheek throughout. The game is actually a morbid comedy.

But I subscribe to the "less is more" school of thought, so I prefer videogames where the writing is visible in the design, and doesn't include only character interaction, but also world-building, lore, building up tension, creating an atmosphere. You don't need dialogue if you get these things right (for example, Ico has a wonderful story, even if it's barely there).

EDIT: Oh, right, Silent Hill 4 probably has the best story in the series. Too bad the game isn't all that fun to play, and pulls that "the first half of the game in reverse" crap.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
the Witcher
every character is well made with backstoryand thought.

Alpha Protocol, just because the story changes seamlessly with what you do

bioshock 1,
good story, and an intro that involves you, gripping your attention from the very start