What is the oldest game in your collection?

ShyBunny

Mar 4, 2011
Hmm.. *shoulder glance*
Might be the first Sims for PC.
All my nintendo stuff is being borrowed atm

blha303

Jan 27, 2011
PC: Qoheleth (bible game for kiddies)
GB: Pokemon Blue.
N64: Rocket Robot on Wheels (best game ever)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Probably Tower of Doom for the Intellivision.
Either that or that old Atari games pack. It still has the original Tanks game on it.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
The Jakeinator said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
The Jakeinator said:
Silent Hill 1.

Fuck Yea.
You're telling me the first game you owned was Silent Hill? You have awful parents.
I never said that. It's simply the oldest game in my collection.

Also, I am very offended by your outburst. My father never asked me to play the game, I did so on my own accord, yes I was scared, but the game was fun, and it introduced me into a great genre. Survival Horror. And I ask, how in the world is my "Parents" (even though it was only one) allowing me to play Silent Hill makes them horrible parents. What is so bad about that?

And the actual first game I played was Final Fantasy 7. No complaints here.
Yes. I was being serious. I know your parents, I met them on a wine tour of South Australia. Lovely guys, very sophisticated tastes. But the fact you took offense to such an obvious tongue in cheek comment must say something about... something. I don't know you so whatever.

Since you've now forced my hand, one of my pet peeves is when youngsters make their parents buy them inappropriate games. For one, I don't kids who demand things. For two, I don't when parents caters for their childs every desire. It's not even really to do with video games that, it's the culture of every child wanting the latest plaything and some parents not having the spine to say no. When it comes to video games though, it does go quite close to the bone. I mean, you see these Fox News reports about how violent video games are corrupting the youth or whatever. The arguement should be "well, games have ratings like films do and for every Condemned there's a thousand Texas Chainsaw Massacres". But you can't make that point because game ratings mean fuck all. Go into any game shop on any day and you'll see some kid asking a parent to buy them an 18 game.

The media perception of gaming isn't going to change until parents relise that not all games are designed for kids. Maybe then they'll introduce an MA rating in Australia and they'll stop toning down games to please people. They can make an 18 game an 18 game and leave it at that.

Sorry, I felt like having a rant. Silent Hill is a fantastic game. 2 and 3 are better in my opinion but the first one was one of a collection of games that came out on the PS1 that got people thinking about the medium in different ways. And no I wasn't really insulting your parents, I was bored and just wondered how someone would react if I said that.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:
Since you've now forced my hand, one of my pet peeves is when youngsters make their parents buy them inappropriate games. For one, I don't kids who demand things. For two, I don't when parents caters for their childs every desire. It's not even really to do with video games that, it's the culture of every child wanting the latest plaything and some parents not having the spine to say no. When it comes to video games though, it does go quite close to the bone. I mean, you see these Fox News reports about how violent video games are corrupting the youth or whatever. The arguement should be "well, games have ratings like films do and for every Condemned there's a thousand Texas Chainsaw Massacres". But you can't make that point because game ratings mean fuck all. Go into any game shop on any day and you'll see some kid asking a parent to buy them an 18 game.
Pretty much on a daily basis I try my hardest to talk some parent or guardian out of buying a game like Grand Theft Auto for thier kid. If it's a teenager, I won't try quite so hard, but I just don't ever see a reason for someoen to think thier eight year old is mature enough for some of these games. My favorite though is when I read off the warnings and they say something like "Extreme language? Fuck, that little shithead hears me say fucking worse no doubt." Yup, what a world we share.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
New Troll said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
Pretty much on a daily basis I try my hardest to talk some parent or guardian out of buying a game like Grand Theft Auto for thier kid. If it's a teenager, I won't try quite so hard, but I just don't ever see a reason for someoen to think thier eight year old is mature enough for some of these games. My favorite though is when I read off the warnings and they say something like "Extreme language? Fuck, that little shithead hears me say fucking worse no doubt." Yup, what a world we share.
That's it, basically. It's a strange combination of parents either being anti all games or just not knowing what the nature of some games can be. Like Fox ripping into GTA. It was completely over the top but they had a point. They were just blaming all the wrong people and not really having much a conversation about it. But you know what, I'd be happy to have that conversation. Just no reasonable people on any side seem to agree with me at this stage.

But you know what interests me? I wonder what it will be like when my generation (ie Gen Y, the first to have grown up with video games from birth) have kids in the sort of 8 to 13 age group. Their kid comes up to them asking for GTA7 or a new State of Emergency (remember that game? It was stupid) and what do they say? Do they think "video games never harmed me" and let them have it or do they use their knowledge of what's going to be in the game and not allow it?
Or will they just buy it themselves I suppose. Hide it away if it's not appropriate.

canucmeh

Feb 21, 2011
Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone for the PC

Or Winnie the Pooh :p gotta love kids games!

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:
Or will they just buy it themselves I suppose. Hide it away if it's not appropriate.
Though I played some fairly mature games as a kid, there wasn't an ESRB rating system so unless it happened to say "MATURE" on the box, my mom was clueless. But even so, nothing was anywhere as mature as games like Postal and GTA. So with that in mind, I personally try to research what I'm playing when my children are home. And even though I might love them a lot, some games just had to go. I never wanted to come home one day to find my son's sister playing Postal X. So it was easier to just remove the vice than try to keep it put up where it wouldn't get found. Plus I don't ever want to feel like I'm keeping secrets from my children. Just as I wouldn't ever want them to stumble upon a Playboy under the matress, I don't want them to find an extremely unsuitable game on my computer.

With all that said, I do feel like I'm a fairly lenient father when it comes to gaming. I do not have a problem playing games like Dragon Age in front of my kids. I do not have a problem with them playing Teen games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ghostbusters. Heck, I will watch the movie with them and the game is nowhere as adult-themed. Yup, I might be a hypocrite to some, but to me there's a huge difference between even the mature games. Want to play Halo? Fine by me. New Vegas? I don't think so. If you're good, I might let you watch me hunt Radscorpions, but don't expect to see me wander into town.