What is the weirdest movie you've seen?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
What is the weirdest damn movie you've ever watched? The more obscure, the better. It can be either tonally weird, have out there subject matter, or could have both. I've seen a ton of movies and the all time weirdest one would have to be the Chilean film, Scrambled Beer. It tells the the story of a man who loves to drink and party and discovers his new favorite drink - raw eggs and beer. It just so happens that this concoction causes him to travel through time. At first, it looks like a sad sci fi allegory for alcoholism, but nope. It turns into a campy horror movie halfway through. Nothing particularly special about it otherwise, but it sure sticks with me.

So, what's the strangest movie you've watched (and please include a little synopsis/opinion, too)?

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Of the few I've seen recently:

Enter The Void: A young man who reads the Tibetan Book of the Dead is murdered in a drug deal gone wrong. After his point of death, he essentially witnesses his life flashing before his eyes, views what is currently going on with his sister and how she struggles through his death among other things, but unlike most movies, he's viewing this without providing narration or conflict (If you believe in the afterlife, it's really more like real ghosts instead of the Patrick Swayze movie Ghost). My Opinion: The characterizing aspects of the movie are sadly outnumbered to the unpleasant aspects (Much like real life), but done in such a way that it made me cringe. It's unique and beautiful but pedantic and overly long and a touch too artsy, yet it's something that I still remember, maybe 4 years after I first watched it. It's also directed by Gasper Noe, who directed the unpleasant Irreversible, so take that with you before seeing this movie. I give it a 3/5.

Sound of Noise. A tone-deaf police officer is in a race against time to stop a renegade group of Anarchist Percussionists from destroying Sweden. That's the best way I can describe this movie. It's literally equal parts music set pieces as created by Project Mayhem and bizarre dark comedy and character drama, actually not the best thing I've seen recently, but the music is probably the best part about the movie, and again, I love writing the phrase 'Anarchist Percussionists'. 3.5/5

Wings of Desire. A 1987 drama by director Wim Wenders which follows two angels who wander around Germany, and the one angel who sees a woman who is wishing to be loved. This was remade (kind of) into City of Angels starring Nicolas Cage, but this is a better movie with more complexities and nuance. It's gorgeous and heartbreaking and uplifting and unique. Atheists may give this a skip, but It has nothing to do with God or Religion, it's actually just the idea of Angels surrounding us. It's a very nice and wonderful movie. 4.5/5

Bellflower. A guy who goes through a breakup and how going through one can feel like the end of the world. It sort of annoyed me to watch it, but I can't say I'm going to forget about it anytime soon. I feel like giving it a second viewing just to make sure I judged it appropriately, because at this point, I hate it and don't recommend it, but it is just the weirdest damn thing I've ever seen. 2.5/5

Vulgar, which is an early Kevin Smith produced movie about a man who dresses as a clown for children's parties literally getting raped. It's I spit on Your Grave with more unpleasantness piled on top. It's also completely evil and thoroughly repugnant, and strangely enough, I kind of liked it. I'm not saying I own it, and it's really not a good movie at all, but for some reason, it has enough odd dramatic touches to it in parts that it left me drained and surprisingly on the side of its heroes, if they really are the heroes (wink-wink). I don't recommend it, but I am glad I did see it 3.5/5

And for a little bit of levity, I recommend Hausu, A Japanese dark comedy/horror film about a house (Name Drop) full of girls who are being attacked by an evil within. Again, it's another movie where that one sentence is all you can say about it, because to describe it further is to spoil what is effectively a sometimes creepy and sometimes funny motion picture. If you get it mixed up with the American movie House from 1986, I recommend that as well, but it's not as special, and it is not a remake, by any means, and I give Hausu a 4/5.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I saw Rubber on Netflix and I still have no idea what was going on in that thing. Its about a car tire that becomes conscious and has telekinetic powers, and it then goes on a killing spree.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
2001: A Space Odyssey

That 'movie' was so trippy that the best way to describe it is as 'a series of lights and noises'.

It is utterly nutterly butterly crazy.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
shogunblade said:
Of the few I've seen recently:

Enter The Void: A young man who reads the Tibetan Book of the Dead is murdered in a drug deal gone wrong. After his point of death, he essentially witnesses his life flashing before his eyes, views what is currently going on with his sister and how she struggles through his death among other things, but unlike most movies, he's viewing this without providing narration or conflict (If you believe in the afterlife, it's really more like real ghosts instead of the Patrick Swayze movie Ghost). My Opinion: The characterizing aspects of the movie are sadly outnumbered to the unpleasant aspects (Much like real life), but done in such a way that it made me cringe. It's unique and beautiful but pedantic and overly long and a touch too artsy, yet it's something that I still remember, maybe 4 years after I first watched it. It's also directed by Gasper Noe, who directed the unpleasant Irreversible, so take that with you before seeing this movie. I give it a 3/5.
I second this. Enter the Void was unlike anything I've seen, really really weird. 3/4 of the movie is filmed in floaty ghost-cam, from the perspective of our dead main character. On multiple occasions does he enter other characters, usually when they are banging his sister. It's just really, really weird.
It has the coolest opening titles of all time though:

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I've seen some pretty weird movies over the years - The Magic Christian, for example, a Sixties trip in which Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr go around seeing to what extent people will debase themselves for money. Or Plan 9 From Outer Space, a notoriously bad B-movie that doesn't know what the hell kind of genre it is.

But out of all of them, I'd have to give the crown to Bubba Ho Tep in which an ageing Elvis, having faked his own death and now living out his life in a nursing home, has to defeat an Egyptian Mummy. Highly, highly recommended.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Easy, 'The Holy Mountain.' Seriously, weirdest fucking thing I have ever watched. Absolutely fucking bonkers in a "there is no way in fuck anybody would be able to make this kind of thing now." There's sex and animal cruelty (at one point there's a dogfight that is absolutely disgusting), parts where the cast is genuinely tripping balls, and cheetah breasts (as in, breasts that are the heads of cheetahs spraying milk like fucking fire hoses), not to mention all the midgets missing arms and legs.

Weirdest fucking thing I've ever watched. I would not in any way, shape or form recommend anyone watch this film, but I'll admit it was a goddamn experience.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
Kynodontas: A Greek film about a mother and father that want to keep outside influences from their children so much so that at the age of 20ish their three children have never traveled beyond the walls of their property. The parents make up fake vocabulary tapes for the children (Sea is a leather chair with wooden armrest) so if they hear their parents talk about the outside it will be incomprehensible. The tittle is the Greek word for dog tooth or K9 and refers to a lie the parents tell the children that they will be ready to leave the house once their second set of K9s fall out.

The Ketchup and Mustard Man: a stream of consciousness musical short film told by the titular monster and his band about a princess who come back to town from school with some of her friends from Paris. There are a ton of musical tangents that sometimes relate to the princess story and sometimes don't. I don't really know what else to say about this other than it's totally wacky and the music is pretty cool.

Rabbits: One of David Lynches weirder short films and that's saying a lot. It takes place in the living room of a family of rabbits (people in rabbit costumes with human clothes) who live in a city of eternal rain. The dialogue is disjointed, nonsensical, and punctuated with inappropriate laugh tracks. Unlike the previous two I do not normally recommended this one, not much happens and it is hard to get into but is its definitely weird as all hell.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Gee, I don't know... Probably 'city of lost children'. It's a French film about a scientist who kidnaps children to steal their dreams. It's weird and kind of trippy and it had a profound effect on me when I watched it. Which I guess is a good thing. ^^

Tommy might qualify as well. It's a rock opera based on an album by The Who, and it's glorious as it is weird.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I've seen so many damn movies in my life, probably too many. Mostly B sci-fi/horror/mystery stuff. But if I had to pick one to recommend as most amusingly weird, it would be a film I found for $3 at a flea market, Robo Vampire.

A no-budget hybrid of the Jiang-Shi[footnote]Chinese Hopping Vampires, who were popular in Hong Kong and Japan in the 1980s following films like "Spooky Encounters" and the classic "Mr. Vampire"[/footnote] and cheap RoboCop-ripoff genres. The plot concerns a druglord's attempt to stop a narcotics agent by use of vampires. Hijinks[footnote]And what I'm pretty sure is an originally unrelated jungle commandos movie that is intercut and overdubbed with this one to pad out the running time[/footnote] ensue. To understand how weird this movie gets let me quote one of the memorable passages from the summary/review on "Encyclopedia Obscura"

"A sex scene that is interesting is the gorilla vampire/ghost one. The honeymooners are about to consummate their marriage, and if you ever wondered what vampire/ghost foreplay is like, I can tell you right now. The ghost makes sensual moves with her hand, waving her lover toward her. The vampire, on the other hand, is flailing his arms around in all directions like he's falling off a cliff and desperately is trying to grab hold of some of the bushes growing from the wall. Suddenly, the recently repaired RoboWarrior crashes in on them, prompting the music to change from 'sensual softcore saxophone' to 'military drums'. I would just like to point out that you just read about a ghost and a gorilla vampire trying to have sex when they suddenly are interrupted by a robot out to get a drug lord. You will never read that again in any other context, so cherish this moment before it's gone." -http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/moviesrobovampire.html

Yeeep.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
BadNewDingus said:
Henry

Oh, and Ichi the Killer.
Speaking of Ichi the Killer, Takashi Miike also made Visitor Q...Visitor Q is to familial, and sexual relations what Ichi the Killer is to violence...possibly to a greater degree. Visitor Q was probably the most disturbing movie I've seen...then I saw Gummo...I couldn't even make it completely through Gummo. I don't know why it disturbed me as much as it did but it just rubbed me the absolute wrong way.

ABCs of Death is another movie I didn't see all the way through but it's weird in a good way. Stop-Motion toilet monsters and, samurai sword style penis battles made the bits of that movie I saw completely worth it. No, I don't know why I haven't watched the rest of it yet.

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
The Room is pretty bizarre. I mean, the story itself isn't all that weird, but the acting and pacing and scenes inadvertently conjure some sort of purgatory like experience. It's a pretty standard dark break up plot that doesn't really feel like it needs much thought put into analysing it, but it's more the experience of actually watching the film that makes it... weird.

It's also ridiculously fun to watch

I saw 2001 mentioned, and I have to say it's one of my favorite films, but I don't really consider it weird. It might be that I watched it after I had read the book... I suppose it's very different than the stuff we get now, but compared to some of the experimental cinema of Warhol or the surrealism of David Lynch that's just tame.

... and I'd probably recomend Tetsuo: The Iron Man for someone who really wants just a weird movie that's really good. I know you asked for a synopsis, and I'll try my best. Tetsuo is the story about a man who slowly turns into a mass of living scrap metal...
Okay, that's a sucky synopsis. It's a really weird cult japanese film.

Possibly NSFW for... heh... roto-penis.

Oct 12, 2011
I think the 2 most unusual movies I have seen in quite some time are:

Brazil by Terry Gilliam. Take an ordinary man trapped in a bureaucratic job who shunts all of his ambitions into his fanciful dreams and them let him become embroiled in a convoluted plot based ultimately on a typo.

Naked Lunch Part paranoia, part drug hallucination, all bizarre. Must really be seen to be believed.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
No one mentioned End of Evangelion yet?

I really can't think of any other film like it. Maybe Akira, but even then only parts of it came even close to the insanity of EoE. It's like a barrage of suicidal madness and LSD tripping being fired at you. It can be horrifying, unintentionally funny, impenetrably cryptic, insufferably pretentious, crushingly depressing, strangely uplifting, very moving, but most of all, bafflingly weird all at the same time. It's in a category all of its own in nearly every conceivable way, and I'm glad that it exists. Not that I think it's good, far from it, but it's certainly unique and it's still, 17 years after its release, fun to see people's reaction to it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
bartholen said:
No one mentioned End of Evangelion yet?

I really can't think of any other film like it. Maybe Akira, but even then only parts of it came even close to the insanity of EoE. It's like a barrage of suicidal madness and LSD tripping being fired at you. It can be horrifying, unintentionally funny, impenetrably cryptic, insufferably pretentious, crushingly depressing, strangely uplifting, very moving, but most of all, bafflingly weird all at the same time. It's in a category all of its own in nearly every conceivable way, and I'm glad that it exists.
I second this. End of Eva is THE strangest movie I've ever seen, period. Given, I've never completed the main series and I've only really seen the first two rebuild films, but still what the holy hell.

The first act makes sense within the confines of the story and wraps it up nicely as far as I know, but then it just... goes absolutely bonkers with it's imagery and all of the dialogue. It's such a sensory overload for the eyes and ears all and all. And when you're talking about a series like Eva, how the hell do you even end it? I'd venture to say that you really can't end it because it doesn't really build up to an end point and doesn't really feel like it needs to end. And what we get for the end is so out of left field that it feels unplanned. Speaking of which, the ending is so open for interpretation it's almost unreal.

The thing about it is that it that it really has no right to be as fucking crazy as it is, but it would feel wrong to have it any other way.

Sooo, yeah. Fuckin'..... this movie.. is indescribable.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mullholland drive

yes I know I'm very typical being david lynch and all

I bailed on it before it really got going

HOWEVER

recently I've been watching an analysis of it and now that I've basically had what it all means explained to me (like a dumbass) it actually makes it seem pretty straight forward, I almost want to try it again. I don't know if its "cheating" to have it all spoon fed to me like that but then I'm not sure I would have picked up on any of it had I stuck with it myself.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Eraserhead is pretty weird. The description on Wikipedia even moreso.

"Spencer experiences dreams or hallucinations, featuring his child and the Lady in the Radiator"

Oh and stuff about stomping miniature replicas of organ snake babies while singing.