What is the worst entry of your favorite game series?

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
I really like Silent Hill.

My least favorite among them, though, was Silent Hill 4. The monsters amused me (they made those strange burping/puky noises that I could not find frightening at all), there was a lot of repeating things over and over, and I didn't care a whit about Henry.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm going to go with Medieval II: Total War, just because way too many of the campaign AI issues never got fully fixed. It was still a GOOD game, just not the GREAT game I've come to expect from the Total War series (even Empire acquitted itself very well after a couple of patches.)

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
I can't pick one favorite series, but I can give you a top three:

-Metal Gear Solid 4 (Gameplay was all right, but the story just felt... Wrong.)
-Escape from Monkey Island (Puzzles and interface were frustrating, and the humor was lacking.)
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Not counting Mario spin-offs or games like Mario is Missing. Fricking baby Mario drove me NUTS!)

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
FFXII. I honestly have no idea how it got the great scores everyone handed out to it. I presume that was because they only played and scored it before the official release, and hence weren't playing it long enough to notice all the things that were horribly tedious and annoying about it. Then again, maybe it just seemed great to them because they'd never played another Final Fantasy.

I think the clincher that makes it the worst for me though is that all the characters (except perhaps Balthier) were ill-defined and completely unlikable. It just felt like a bunch of random, faceless people had randomly shown up to go on an animal-clubbing safari. For a franchise that relies almost wholly on epic storytelling, this is a fatal flaw. And I'm one of those over-analytical artsy dorks who, through rose-tinted hippie glasses, sees symbolism, subconscious psychological motives and deeper meaning in everything, so you know a story isn't being particularly well told when someone like me doesn't care enough to follow what the hell is going on.

LavosPrime

Jan 9, 2009
Metroid Prime: Hunters.

There's nothing new to say here. Multiplayer was decent, but I couldn't bring myself to finish the single-player, which is supposed to be the main selling point of Metroid. The emphasis on adventure wasn't there, making the solo game feel like a contrived distillation of the series. I'm of the opinion that the single-player was just a sideshow to the multiplayer shooter that Hunters really was, and I didn't spend $35 on Metroid for a multiplayer shooter. It really didn't feel like a Metroid game to me at all, and it's a shame this is all we've gotten on DS besides Pinball.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass gets my vote. Don't get me wrong, the game is still great fun. But having to return to the same dungeon over and over again wasn't very fun.
My thoughts exactly. Dungeons in Zelda are fun, but not the same dungeon over and over and over again until the game's finished. PH is hands down the worst Zelda (not including the CD-i games of course.)

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Soulstorm for the Dawn of War series. It felt more like a beta from all the bugs it had. (Not little ones mind you)

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
A lot of people say that Mega Man X6 was the worst, as it was too rushed. The level designs were admittedly horrible (if you played them a certain way), but they added stuff in-game to counter that (Remember, folks. It was before the days of patch files for consoles.). Plus, I don't see any foul words about another game in the series that had about the same difference in publishing time (1993-1994 from X to X2, like the year-long switch between X5 and X6 from 2000-2001).

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
bcponpcp27 said:
Call of Duty 3 and 5. Just because they are made by Treyarch because Activision doesn't have the balls the let IW make every game, but 2 years apart. Seriously, do you need a sequel every year. Nope, especially if the odd years are GOING to be mediocre. That's right I said it, Treyarch BLOWS!
This post combined with your pictures makes me want to join those who are trying to develop a way to punch people over the internet.

Ummeiko

Aug 16, 2008
Metroid Prime: Hunters

It's terrible from a "Metroid" standpoint, bad from a FPS standpoint, and I'm convinced you need at least four arms to properly control everything.

followed by Metroid Prime 2.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
HG131 said:
I The worst game in my favorite game series? Halo (F******) Wars. It's ok, but nothing compared to Halo 1/2/3/ODST/Reach.
I don't know if wars would technically count since its so out of sync with the others.

I personally have to say Halo 2. Too much jumping around to make a coherent story.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Picking from among my favorite series, I don't think I've ever an installment get butchered as much as in the Konami JRPG Suikoden IV, or what I refer to as the "Cheap Piece of Shit". I don't know if it got low budgeted or what not, but it seems like all the effort in developing the game went towards giving it more modern 3D models & animation, voice acting, and far too many pointless mini games, while skimping out on story, character development, gameplay, and overall game design. Outside of the 3D graphics, every other aspect of the game seemed to be designed with the question "whats the cheapest way to develop this?" in mind. Which completely ruined everything that got the series a small but loyal fanbase.

Metroid Prime Hunters would probably be a good choice too, as I'd list Metroid as a top 3 favorite series for myself, but I never actually played it (and from other comments see I didn't miss out on much). Oblivion is close, but it isn't actually a bad game when modded correctly, it just took too big a step back from the bar Morrowind raised.

Finbark

Jul 24, 2008
Jak and Daxter is my favorite series. I've been pumped ever since The Lost Frontier was leaked a couple years ago. I played the demo recently and... Blegh. That's all I can say. It just doesn't play, sound, look, or feel like a Jak and Daxter game(and not in a good way). I was terribly disappointed after I played the demo.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
UncleUlty said:
NeutralDrow said:
First, I'd have to figure out my favorite game series.

...I guess that'd be the Tales games. I've only played three of them, so far, so I don't think I can judge. I've heard Tales of Legendia wasn't as good as the others, though.
Yeah it's defintly one of the weaker entries in the series still better than the Phantasia remake for the GBA.
Thanks!

Note to self: find SNES version...

You probably need to learn Japaneses too seeing is how it wasn't released outside Japan.