What is/was/might be your major and minor?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Studying for my BA degree in English Language, but as soon as that's done I'm dropping all pretences at giving a shit about any kind of institutionalised education and doing something completely different. It's not that these institutes are bad, I just find that I tend to be busy enough teaching myself other skills that it's actually more of a distraction than a help.

So, I'm teaching myself to use software like blender, with the goal that by the time the summer's over I'll be able to fully mesh, texture, rig and animate 3D models to add to games, so I'd be able to send them to someone with a bit of Skyrim know-how and get them put in a mod, for example. I'm also hoping to pick up some decent music software too. I've got sibelius and I can use it just fine, but I could do with Logic Pro...

A friend of mine is simultaneously learning coding, meaning that by the time we're both done with our degrees (another two years yet) we should be pretty handy with these things... enough to grab one or two other folks and start an indie development team?

We've already made a few little 2D games to practice and we're going to take part in Ludum Dare the next time we're both around for it. And after that, who knows?

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
I majored in Arcitecture. Biggest mistake in my life! The housing market collapsed while I was studying, so there were no jobs when I graduated. I'm overqualified for everything else I can work. Presently, I'm doing an internship in a ministry.

The Name's Bond

Jan 16, 2012
I am an Bachelor of the Arts/Education student and my major is History and my minor is English, two solid foundations of the educational system

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I majored in religion and philosophy with a minor in sociology.
Then I got a master in international business administration.
Also, I have a international license in cosmetology.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
DonTsetsi said:
I majored in Arcitecture. Biggest mistake in my life! The housing market collapsed while I was studying, so there were no jobs when I graduated. I'm overqualified for everything else I can work. Presently, I'm doing an internship in a ministry.
That's really unfortunate. At least I went into my degree not expecting a job when I finish, must be disheartening to lose the opportunities once it's too late to go back.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I finished my freshman year a bit over a week ago as well.

I'm majoring in secondary social studies education with minors in science, computer education, and mathematics to show schools I can teach those as well.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I've just finished my second year of uni, so now I've got one (or two, depending on if I want to do the hons. year, I guess) year left until I get a BA in adventure tourism management. So far it's pretty much the most fun I've ever had in full time education. We're required to go hiking and biking and all that kind of stuff. Perfect :D

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Did a BSc in Environmental Science no major no minor although i did something called biology stream

C4tt4nn4

Oct 26, 2012
i'm thinking of doing law, more specifically criminal law. should be interesting, and hopefully i'll go to a place with an exchange prgramme.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
In the UK you don't minor in anything, you just have your degree, although you can get joint honours or odd courses like Maths with Statistics or Physics with Astrophysics. They tend to have to be related to each other though.

I'm studying for an Msci (taught masters) in Physics.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
My first year in uni studying chemistry is coming to an end in a couple of weeks. To be honest it's a real pain in the ass, but it's interesting when I'm not doing lab work.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No real majoring and minoring here in my country.
I have a economics bachelor's degree, with banking and finance specialization, so i guess you could call that a major.
Currently i am working on my Accounting masters degree.

It seems escapist has a lot of science and literature people, would be interesting to see a real consensus. anyone with more superior forum knowledge than me maybe could create one?

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I double majored in political science and history. Considered getting a minor in physics, but with the double major it would have required some really precise scheduling with no room for error and a lot of extra hours which in retrospect between two major illnesses I'm really happy I didn't do.
I'm currently attending law school and not entirely certain what I'm specializing in. I'm thinking either intellectual property or tax or something having to do with employee benefits, but so far all my classes have been good for is teaching me thing I'm not interested in.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
I did my undergrad in Political Science and then did residency in pediatrics with a specialization in oncology after Medical School. After about 2 years of [EDITORIAL REMARKS REDACTED], I went back to get my masters in epidemiology and am now doing a PH.D. in Health Informatics.

I've been in school for 27 years. No complaints yet.

Pfheonix

Apr 3, 2010
I'm currently in IT. Fuck that. I'll be transferring to another school to get a BA in German, with a minor in Latin, to become a language teacher. I'm in the United States, so these languages aren't commonly offered, in exchange for French and Spanish, so it may or may not do incredibly well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have a BS in Journalism and studied Creative Writing as a Minor. Currently not really using either in a professional capacity (starting a new project soon though, so that might change), but the good thing about a Journalism degree is that it's easy to get and qualifies you for a plethora of writing-related jobs.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I have an M.Phys in Theoretical Physics, which is like Maths and Physics for those who were more interested in the Physics but needed to find an excuse to not be put near expensive things that could injure you.

I'm going back to uni in September this year to do an M.Sc in Material Engineering, and then transfer on to a full Ph.D in something that's going to earn me fat stacks of cash. I dunno, something cool, non-ferrous alloys are big nowadays I think.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Third year to an (commercial) economics bachelor.
Focus on Sales and marketing management.

My minor next year will me Commercials.

That bout covers it, now i just hope i can still make it in the regular four years.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
Just got through my first year as well majoring in Video Game Design and Development and holy crap is it hard. They actually take it pretty seriously here so downtime to actually play videogames is rather limited.

As for a minor I'm working for a one in psychology since it pairs well with my major. Yay 5 years to get my BS