What is/was/might be your major and minor?

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I just finished my second year of a BA English Literature degree. Here in the UK we don't have majors and minors.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I graduated with a BA. My Major was Asian Studies with my language being Japanese, and my minor was Anthropology (actually it was Archaeology with some Anthropology courses but my university lumped the two together).

I used to be fluent in Japanese and always planned to move and teach there, but life got in the way. I really haven't made use of my degree at all and I do wish I'd been like my sister and gone to a college and gotten a certificate in a trade (she's a library technician).

I suggest to every young person to pick a specific degree or trade and to pursue that, it makes life so much easier than getting a general BA.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
I am graduating with a BA in Philosophy in a month or so, and I recently applied and was accepted into the School of Journalism at my local university (ours is independent of the English department). I'm doing a two-year intensive Bachelor of Journalism program that focuses primarily on practical and relevant skills in the current multimedia age (including an internship as part of the curriculum), rather than theoretical ones or a retread of the way it used to be done, and is no longer done on such a large scale, in the newsrooms of a major paper.

For me, the role of a philosopher is to be critical of her/his society, not only to make sure it's living up to its values, ideals, and laws, but also to make sure it is living up to its fullest potential. Politics, the environment, poverty, and education: these are the things that concern me most. In this sense, a good journalist is no different from a good philosopher.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I've graduated and my major was in Computer Engineering.

I've had a few jobs here and there, but I'm still trying to find the right company/job to commit to full time.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I have a BA in History with an elective in English, an MA in Irsh Historical Research and I'm starting an MA in Archival Management in September.

MA squared, bitches.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
triggrhappy94 said:
I just finished my freshman year in college and, seeing how it's a common small talk question, I thought I might ask.

I'm pretty set on majoring in Economics--haven't determined what my focus will be, but I don't need to worry about that for a while. It's not an easy set of classes, but it makes sense to me and I like it.
I'm thinking about picking up a double minor. One in stats, because it helps a lot if I'm going to Econ grad school. For the other I'm torn between Computer Science and Political Science. Pols would go well with Econ, but CS would be good in general. Both programs have really interesting classes too. CS has programming and a class on the logic and thought processes of viruses and hackers. Pols has classes on Nonviolent international relations and Political writers (I really like Political non-fiction).
I majored in Computer Science with a minor in Math (it was an easy minor, only one class shy of having it anyways since I took that many math courses [I needed three semesters of calculus, linear algebra, discrete math, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis for my major anyways, adding differential equations to the pile wasn't a big deal and counted as a technical elective]).

A lot of CS students when I was in college didn't really "get" what they were going into, and it meant that the number of CS majors dropped dramatically in the first two semesters. Programming just plain isn't for a lot of people, you might want to give it a bit of a spin with some online tutorials or something before you throw money down for classes in the field.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
We don't have Majors and Minors here in Canada we just study what we take you get a Diploma for college and a Degree for Universities. Colleges teach practical hands on work while Universities teach more theoretical.

Personally I have a Certificate in Art and Design (one year college course) and a Diploma in Multimedia and I will likely get a Fine Arts Diploma by the time I finish as well.

NoMercy Rider

May 17, 2013
I received both a BS and MS in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Structural Engineering. For my engineering degree, I had to choose my major as an incoming freshman to have a chance at finishing my degree in four years. I have been graduated for two years now and currently working as a bridge engineer. I absolutely love my career choice and can't imagine doing anything else. I have actually been considering starting my own engineering firm.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
In 2006, I started off majoring in Communications. No minor. Then a bunch of crappy things happened and I got out of school.

Still out currently but I'm planning to go back and major in Languages. Or whatever subject I need to bring me to the career of being an interpreter.

My minor may be Theater Arts or Radio/TV/Film. Haven't decided yet.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I'm starting college next year as a theater studies major. I don't know how specializations and minors will work out exactly yet, but I want to specialize in performance and/or musical theater and also have a music minor, because my school has a very prestigious conservatory of music.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
I'll be graduating next year with my BS in Psychology and I'll be moving on to get my Master's after that. You can't really do anything with a BS in Psychology, but lucky me, I'll be graduating from a 4 year program as a Junior, so I've got an extra year on my life.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Devil said:
but Sociology feels the most rewarding since you actually help people as a counselor or such
Sociology is the study of societies, social theory and social policy (really interesting stuff if that's your thing... but if the idea of having to take a Gender Studies subject to meet your study quota makes you uncomfortable skip Sociology). For the counselling deal you'd want a course in Social Work unless you wanted to focus exclusively on psychological counselling, in which case it's a Psych course.

Word of warning on Engineering - once you get into the full engineering stream they start throwing a lot of physics and maths at you. If you like dicking around making stuff but don't want your brain cooked with a shitload of maths and physics look into Industrial Design instead.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Almost done with my Bachelor of Science in Biology... It's certainly been quite the ride.

(For the non-US system people out there, a minor is like.... a side-area of focus, if you take extra classes in that field. Most schools don't require one, so it's really up to the individual student. It's kind of neat. Cause if you do find an area you really want to study, but don't want to/can't change your major, you can still get a bit of recognition for taking a number of classes in that area.)

I don't have a minor. There's certainly pluses to "not minoring" as well, cause then you can spend your extra time taking a variety of classes.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Xisin said:
I majored in creative writing, with a minor in journalism(print). I knew what I was getting into from the start.
Out of curiosity, do you mean that in a good or bad way?
I've known a good many people who said that a major in Creative Writing would be a "gross waste of time" with "practically no benefit out there in the real working world" and their line of thinking kind of convinced me at some point.

Curious to know, from someone who went that route, if it's true and if (so/not), what kind of career paths (outside of journalism, of course) really opened up?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Im going to the Citadel this fall, currently I'm set to major in Physics and minor in International & Military Affairs or Military & Diplomatic History. I originally wanted to major in history, but the Citadel had an interesting program and the Air Force is unlikely to pay for any Liberal Arts, so Physics seemed like a good second choice. Besides, my Minor will cover the parts I was most interested in anyway.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
At the moment I'm planning to take a mathematics degree somewhere, as long as nothing bad happens along the way. Both of my parents are scientists and my dad at least has very definite views on people taking degrees in what he considers useless subjects, (e.g photography) which has rubbed off on me a bit. I don't really want to do anything that isn't a pure science, and as I suck at Chemistry and hate biology, it looks as though its going to be maths and physics for me.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I was a major fuck-up in year one of the Gymnasium, the Swedish version of highschool so I failed many of the intro classes. Ironically I passed the later classes in the same subjects. So now I'm re-doing some classes in the gloriously named Communal adult education center because I was a retard and could never be arsed to redo them while still in "highschool". But I'm compensating by studying up all proper for what I guess would be the Swedish equivalent of the SAT´s. You can do it once every semester and the one I have would have gotten me in this year but it was still just on the line and I don't want to get fucked by a rise in popularity causing the score to rise. Applying with my grades is sadly out of the question seeing as the government decided that I can go fuck myself and apply in the much smaller and therefore more competitive group seeing as I have compensated my grades.

If everything goes well I'll be studying Biomedicine and getting a Bachelor's degree in that. Then maybe I'll see where that gets me or maybe I'll plow on through and earn myself a masters degree. That would of course be at a University. Don't even know what a college is really. Can a college (that isn't secretly a university but called a college) give you a degree? As in a bachelor's, masters or doctorate.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm finishing up the first half of my two-year transfer plan to pursue the study of acting come June.
I should probably figure out where I need to transfer to but I have something of a phobia of long-term planning. The further you stretch your plans out the more space there is for a wrench to be thrown in, you know?
Anyway.
I plan to study at a couple more schools in my home state before transferring to somewhere in Los Angeles. If you want to act you go to one of two places eventually: New York of Los Angeles. NY for stage, LA for screen. And if my high scool plays have taught me anything (which was also where I got my interest in acting) it's that the stage doesn't like me.