What is your biggest gaming weakness?

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I tend to get pretty easily riled up in competitive multiplayer when I'm having a bad streak, to the point it starts making me play a lot worse/ more recklessly. Which naturally makes me more angry and even worse and so on and so on. It's like the circle of life but with nerd rage.

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
Glongpre said:
Right now it is micro in rts games. I just can't, my mind cannot handle it! Arghhh! BOOM!
Lol I have exactly the opposite problem in RTS games. I can micro like a boss. I took out 2 entire enemies with nothing but 2 Shadow Teams and 6 Specter Artillery in C&C3: Kane's Wrath.

My problem with RTS games (even though they're still my favorite genre) is that I >>always<< play as a combination turtle and guerilla. This means that in any game over 30 minutes, I lose. Because every fucking RTS game in the world is specially formulated to punish turtles FOR NO DAMN REASON. The funny bit is, nobody who actually makes these games seems to understand that the very reason why zerging/tank rushing/etc has become a universal "I win button" is specifically because they make it hard to turtle. But whatever...

Speaking of stealth, in Non-RTS games, my weakness tends to be a lack of stealth. I've sank over 200 hours into Skyrim now, probably even more in Fallout: New Vegas. Of that, 95% of my kills are from stealth. Any game where stealth ISN'T an option is a game I will be happy to play, but exponentially less likely to enjoy. Just about the only notable exception to this is Borderlands 2, but there's only so many kills you can score as Maya with a Hellfire before you fall in love with that game anyway :)

And ditto on the character progression. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it. But I would also call it a weakness. I theorycraft like crazy any time I can, and it leads to me never finishing a game. 200 hours into Skyrim and I've never battled Alduin. 250 hours into New Vegas and I've never fought at Hoover Dam. I've come very close, but every time I see one more mod that requires a new save to play, and I cannot help myself.

Maybe I need a monkey to slap me everytime I install one of those, then maybe I could finish one. On the other hand, maybe it's better. I always regret finishing ME3. I read about the endings before I finished it. I even watched them on youtube. But I didn't feel depressed at all until I played through it. Now I can't play the whole damn series any more.

So maybe it's best.

Sep 24, 2008
Finishing games.

I remember finishing Secret of Mana. I remember bawling my young little eyes out. I felt like one of the biggest adventures I have ever seen was over. These people I helped and grew with, they are now done. I have nothing more to see with them. I know all of their feelings, reactions and pitfalls. I didn't feel special with them any more.

Ever since then, when I get close to finishing a game, I rarely ever do. Unless I love the experience so much like Saints Row the Third. And that brings me to another point.

Games that don't incorporate my sense of values.

I'm one of the last Goodie-goodies there is. Weirdly enough, I love the Saints Row series. One was great, so I couldn't help but want to pick up Two. And two really picked up the psychopath train. When I'm beating up helpless homeless people for shits and giggles (really to claim a hideout), I had to turn off the game for... at least three years. I only finished it because I was hyped about three.

fighting those assholes messing stuff up for other people... ok, I'm with you. Fighting people who are the dredges of society and have so little... I hated every second of it.

In the Third, it was more silly and I was ok with that.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Zoners in fighting games tend to be a delightful joy to fight (3rd Strike, where I play Oro and Makoto and having people try to run from me fills me with glee as I parry my way through fireballs) or like taking a fist in the ass dry (Skullgirls for example, where for whatever reason, I have yet to grasp Peacock's zoning strategy).

I get lost easily, depending on the game. I usually frequently check maps, which is why I played Adventurer in Anarchy Online and my friend called me the shittiest Ranger since Drizzt's non-spell casting, basically a Dexterity-based fighter ass.

Stealth unless it feels like a puzzle. So I'm good at Stealth Bastard Deluxe and I'm good at Mark of the Ninja, but horrible at Dishonored. I'm passable in Deus Ex and I sneak well in Skyrim, but I also play a hammer-wielding Orc, so if stealth fails there's always Berserk and a running power attack.

And maybe a weakness in a different way, but I fucking love block puzzlers. Like Puzzle Boy in Nocturne that everyone seems to hate; that shit was heroine for me. The first game I owned when I bought an Xbox was Lumines. Don't even get me started on Clash of Heroes or Super Puzzle Fighter.

I also have a thing about killing innocent NPCs. I normally play a reasonably decent character, but when I have an NPC at my mercy, it is next to impossible to not kill them. Even if they're on my side. This is why I never beat Abe's Odyssey or Blackthorne. What makes it worse is that when I see the opportunity, I try hard not to do it. Then I just start to giggle and they're all "Please, help me! Agh, my life is a mercy!" Then I giggle harder and kill them. It is freaking hilarious to me.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
deserteagleeye said:
I have to play things in order. Even if they're not that connected by story it just seems a shame to me not to play it the way it was meant to be.
ThatLankyBastard said:
Jill's Sandwiches
Oh my God I just got that. :p
Hehe... did you make the same stupid grin i made when i figured it out?

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
When it comes to fighting games, I let my nerves get the better of me more often than I'd like. I have decent fundamentals and execution, but those skills go from decent to "bleh" when:

1. I am playing against an unfamiliar opponent in person.
2. I am fighting an opponent whom I believe is stronger than me.

In these scenarios I tend to miss punishes, execute sloppily, and make very rash decisions and reads. My nervousness causes me to play sloppily and choke. It's awful.

I'll lose quite a few games in a set before I can start to play like my normal self.

Mark Rhodes

Nov 15, 2011
If there is any sort of time limit for anything in a game, I refuse or hate to do it. No matter how easy it is, I get crazy anxiety. Can't play Fallout 1 because of this.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Buying the dynasty warriors games over and over again.

I'm not sure if that's a weakness. I always have fun with them.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
ThatLankyBastard said:
deserteagleeye said:
I have to play things in order. Even if they're not that connected by story it just seems a shame to me not to play it the way it was meant to be.
ThatLankyBastard said:
Jill's Sandwiches
Oh my God I just got that. :p
Hehe... did you make the same stupid grin i made when i figured it out?
Yeah I did your Stein's grin. I even coincidentally had a bolt sticking out of my head. But that's another story...

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I can't play Fallout 3 because I instinctively pick up every single item I find and soon I become over-encumbered, and instead of emptying my pockets I just take it like a man and walk really slow from there on out.

Except in a huge open world game like that walking so slow basically means it takes hours to do anything so I get bored and stop playing.

Loalrikowki

Jul 6, 2012
I can't seem to decide what I want to play in my D&D-esque RPGs. I'll hit about level 6, then suddenly realize that my Drow Fighter/Mage isn't what I want to be playing. What I REALLY wanted was a half-orc berserker dual-weilding falchions. No, wait, I want to be a ridiculous assassin! Wait, no, I DO want to play a fighter mage, but picking drow was a mistake because of the level adjustment... maybe I'll try another build with a different race and slightly different stat/skill/feat distribution?
When I played Baldur's Gate 2, I must have run 20 characters through Irenicus' dungeon before I got so sick of that section that I had to put it down. Didn't manage to steel myself and play through until I came back 5 years later with the willpower to stick with one character come hell or high water, regardless of the many ideas bouncing around my brain.

Edit: I also refuse to use consumables. If I picked up a wand of magic missile with 50 charges in the first ten minutes of the game, you bet your ass it's still going to be in my inventory long past the time when it's no longer useful, at which point I'll mournfully sell it for a handful of coppers because I need the room in my inventory for more recently acquired consumables which will suffer the same fate.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I have a hard time committing to a talent tree in RPGs. I will literally spend an hour in a simple leveling system like Borderlands and read each skill, look at how it progresses, try to imagine how I'm going to play, map out if I'm gonna have the talent points to do more than one, and I STILL end up second guessing myself. I wanna be good at everything!

I also tend to get bored with/curious about other classes that I initially pick in MMOs or any game that has a varied character selection. I can't tell you how many times I've played through about 25 levels in WoW and then starting another character. Or in a game like Skyrim; man I've done those first 10 levels so many times I practically have all the missions memorized.

I also can't commit to women. Go figure.

That and I tend not to do stealth all that well. I try to force myself to play stealthy characters just for the different experience, but almost always get frustrated and go back to my normal headfirst style of play.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I've got a few, in no particular order...

- I suck at any FPS that doesn't follow the classic DOOM/Serious Sam model of "find the biggest gun you can and use it to obliterate anything with a pulse".

- I'm not very good at driving games (Mario Kart being about the only exception) but I do enjoy them... Particularly Burnout, as it manages to celebrate my failures more spectacularly than my victories.

- I don't have the patience to learn how to play old-school fighting games, particularly the memorisation of lengthy combos, and being annoyed at having to press half a dozen buttons just to slap someone.

- I'm a sucker for pre-order bonuses. Mostly because I'm a collector by nature...

- Any games with an overarching time limit (looking at you, Pikmin 1 and Majora's Mask). I just get way way waaaaay to stressed by any wasted seconds to be able to enjoy the experience. Plus I'm the type to explore every nook and cranny of the game world for collectables and secrets, so giving me a time limit is a recipe for disaster.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
The pointlessness of the extras helped me not get bored of the normal missions. :D

Playing Assassin's Creed or Prototype or inFamous or Skyrim, I just look at the maps and there's fifty million extra challenges and missions and collectables that the game is shoving in my face, trying to get me to do instead of continuing the story, and I don't really like all of that because in the end it's all just pointless fluff to me anyway. I liked that Sleeping Dogs cut right to the chase and said "Yeah, we've got this stuff, but it's useless so you might as well ignore it. We probably shouldn't have even included it in the first place."

I dunno, faffing about is one of the reasons I don't really care for sandboxes. I prefer more linear areas that have large, interconnected rooms with plenty of extra spaces to explore or possibly take alternate routes, but that all eventually lead to the exit.
I can sort of see your point, though I'd hate to play through Sleeping Dogs without the martial arts and health upgrades. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but I personally would find it less enjoyable. I suppose your mileage may vary. Then again, I would have preferred it if we didn't have to search for them anyway. Two XP bars, plus statues, plus shrines...

But I digress. I can also see your point with AC, because I don't really want to do most of the side stuff, and I DO like faffing about. It's just that what I like about sandboxes is the freedom to make my own entertainment above and beyond the content provided.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Weaknesses because I like them:

I love create-a-character games. The ones that allow you to go full out on someone's face, hair, clothing, color design, body type, etc. I know people criticize some elements of Saints Row the Third, but I honestly liked its create-a-character more than 2's because of 'how' I was able to make characters.

I go nuts for cel-shaded graphics, probably because I'm a big animation fan. Any game, not matter how bad, will always get a 'might as well check it out' from me if it's graphics are cel-shaded.

Also, jetpacks. Because jetpacks.

Weaknesses because I hate them:

One-click combat..........RRRRAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHaepaienfa;oekfnaief

I cannot think of anything so boring, so stylistically uninteresting, and so uninvolving forthe player than to just press one button, and let the game play itself. Its why I can't get into some of Bioware's more D&D style RPGs like KOTOR, Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age Origins, because I simply have no enjoyment whatsoever with that retched combat system.

I am horrible at strategy games, whichever you can name. I suck at RTS's, and I suck at more RPG-like strategy games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Advance Wars. My characters for those tend to get shitty stat upgrades upon leveling up, and I usually have bad luck when it comes to attack accuracy. And I'm someone who doesn't like having his units die, so if one does, its a restart for me. So I really don't play those.

th3xile

Aug 9, 2009
Clicking the "install" button on Steam.
My actual weakness would probably be all fighting games. I'm just terrible at them.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I tend to lose interest when a game doesn't have a very clear narrative or story for me to follow.

In RPGs and MMORPGs I like to be massively over-leveled before I do any real difficult quests or story/side missions so that I won't be killed and have to keep trying it over again.

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
I absolutely cannot stand one stat being extremely higher than another, making things look skew or untidy. That is why I'm god-awful with RPG's and games where you can upgrade gear. I can never commit to one skill tree. Everything must go up in equal doses so that, i dunno, 'no stat feels unequal'. I am far too good at empathy when I imagine fucking statistics have feelings.

This all came to a head however, when I was in my early stages of playing Team Fortress 2. As I was fairly noobish at the time that I started, I played as the Heavy for a lot of my gameplay hours, a fairly simple class to come to grips with. I eventually then started branching out into other classes (Pyro, Engie, Sniper, etc.) but I always played as Heavy quite a lot. I then noticed the bar graph of my gameplay hours for each class, and, for whatever reason, I just hated the fact that Heavy was way out in front and I'd barely given a chance to some of the other classes. I then stopped playing as Heavy entirely and forced myself to play as classes like Demo and Medic (which I now know I suck at) solely so that I could even out the bar graph.

Self-diagnosed OCD at its finest.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I can't do button combos, my hand-eye coordination won't allow it. So I suck at fighters.

I also can't micromanage everything in real-time. Despite loving strategy and playing about with all the detail, I have to do my adjustments once at a time. I'll often forget about having multiple fronts, because I can't multi-task that well. That's why I suck at anything that isn't turn-based, total war, or grand strategy.

First-person shooters tend to be a luck affair, I can't play consistently well in multiplayer. I'm either in the zone, I understand the game perfectly and I can get a decent k/d ratio, or I'm 0/10 cannon fodder.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
in stealth games if I'm ever seen I immediately restart, I cannot play a stealth game and be noticed it goes against the genre
unless you're supposed to be seen

before anyone asks, yes I did beat Metal Gear 1. 2. 3, and 4 without being spotted a single... restarting every time I was spotted until I was able to do it unnoticed, and yes it took me WAY too long to do