What is your favorite anime series?

The-Bad-Blooded

Jan 6, 2011
i need to watch more anime, but of the ones i have watched, i liked Death Note, Azumanga Daioh, but my favourite at the moment would have to be 'Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu'
google it, escapists :p

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Ando85 said:
I admit although I play a ton of JRPGs I'm actually not that huge into anime itself. However I have watched Evangelion, Gundam Wing, FLCL, Outlaw Star, bits of Sailor Moon, bits of DBZ, Akira, and most of the Miyazaki films.
My favorites are:

Revolutionary Girl Utena (my favorite, bar none).

Other favorites include:

Slayers (including Next, Try, Revolution, and Evolution R)
Evangelion (good choice on that one)
Sailor Moon (Seasons 3 and 5 in particular)
Noir
El Hazard

an874

Jul 17, 2009
For nostalgic reasons I would to say Dragon Ball Z, but more objectively I have to say Code Geass.

jcm0791

Jul 22, 2009
IF I have to pick one ...

Tenchi Muyo

... though I also spent real money to buy the Ghost in the Shell series so that is up there too.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
My #1 favourite would have to be Cowboy Bebop hands down. It's one of those shows that just defines classic. Cowboy Bebop was part of my childhood (thanks to good old adult swim) as was Orphen and Trigun. Runners Up would be:

Trigun
Baccano!
Black Lagoon
Welcome to the NHK
Spice and Wolf

TraceurRyuk

Jul 25, 2010
Samurai Champloo. It's just so great. I initially discovered it because one of my favorite artists did the soundtrack, grew to love it.

Daft Sikes

Jun 10, 2010
Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Evangelion, Cromartie High, and several others that I can't remember.

TraceurRyuk

Jul 25, 2010
DBLT4P said:
Samurai Champloo, Cowboy bebop, Desert Punk (more people need to see this its hilarious), Outlaw Star, Gundam wing, Trigun, Evangelion (if you replace the last few episodes with the movie) Princess Mononoke, and Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.

One Piece, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist were/are all better as manga...
This pretty much sums up my favorite anime as well. Although I disagree about the ending of Evangelion. I thought it was great, and much better than the movie. But that's probably because I'm familiar with Arthur Schopenhauer's works. It's like the movie was just "omg, fan service and blood and gore!!1!". What I think is funny about Evangelion is the fans who are completely obsessed with it. When Hideki Anno is criticizing the shut-in Otaku throughout a lot of the series... but now I'm just going off topic.

sharinganblossom25

Jan 2, 2011
Avatar: Last Airbender was a pretty awesome show. I was kind of disappointed with how it ended though, but other than that, the characters and plot were great. I'm excited to see the reboot Nickelodeon is planning on doing here pretty soon.

And Naruto Shippuden. There are a few of the older episodes that I absolutely love, but really only a few. One pet peeve I have about the anime though is how many FUCKING filler episodes they do. For God's sake, just get back to the story already! So, I stick to the manga most of the time. xD

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad.

It's what got me into anime in the first place and is to this day my favorite anime series.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Dragon Ball!

The original, that is. I can't watch the anime version of Z because of the hundreds of hours of pointless padding they added to it. I just read the manga for the tighter, leaner version.

Stormwaltz

Jul 8, 2003
EDIT: I suppose I should explain that I've watched hundreds of anime series, OVAs, and movies. I stopped counting when my DVD/Blu-Ray collection reached four digits. It's not possible for me to pick one or two favorites; this IS my short list!

Berserk - The only thing better would be an animated version of Glen Cook's Black Company.

Cardcaptor Sakura - The finest magical girl series ever. My six year-old son LOVES it. Note: do NOT get the "Cardcaptors" English dub, which tried - with hamfisted ineptitude - to edit a heroine-centered show for ten year-old girls into an ensemble piece for eight year-old boys.

Fruits Basket - Possibly the finest shoujo romance series ever made.

Genshiken - A loving, slice-of-life tribute to anime nerds.

Gunparade March - High school romance juxtaposed with realistically brutal warfare. As realistic as one can get when there are mecha and aliens involved, anyway. DO NOT watch the sequel.

Infinite Ryvius - Lord of the Flies on a space battleship. Crushingly depressing, and certainly not for everyone.

KamiChu! - A grade school girl wakes up one morning as a goddess. Exploring Shintoism with a Miyazaki-like sense of wonder.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - A short, no-bull distillation of the qualities that made Universal Century Gundam great. No one gets out of this with a happy ending.

My Neighbor Totoro - If you still have any connection with your childhood sense of wonder, you will enjoy this movie. If you don't perhaps it will allow you to reconnect.

Outlaw Star - Just a whole lot of fun. Space pirates! Starships that fight with giant mecha-arms! Catgirl aliens! Guns that shoot literal magic bullets!

Planetes - A near-future hard science fiction series with a social conscience. IMO the best serious SF anime ever made. The lead writer, director, and composer later collaborated on the more popular (and melodramatic) Code Gaess.

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal - If all you know is the rather lighthearted TV series, this prequel tale of Kenshin's youth as a cold-eyed assassin will set you back on your heels. Makes me cry every time I watch it.

Someday's Dreamers - I have a weakness for "magic realism" (Google it). The world badly needs mahou josei series; this is the closest we have for now.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - The Star Trek of anime. Yamato/Starblazers is the Star Wars.

Toradora! - A slow-building, character-driven romantic drama disguised inside a tsundere comedy.

Trigun - Sure, it doesn't always make a lot of sense. But it has *heart*. It's also one of the extremely rare English dubs I enjoyed more than the sub.

Zone of the Enders - I will cheerfully endure any scorn I receive for my love of this series. An alcoholic 40-something space trucker comes into possession of a giant robot with the AI personality of a high school girl, and tries to reunite his broken family in the face of interplanetary war.

Anthony Ferguson

Jun 20, 2011
I like a few animes for different reasons, and its very difficult even to compare them let alone choose the best. I suppose Trigun, Helsing, Cowboy Beepop, Black lagoon and Death Note would be my top picks. Roruni Kenshin is decent if you like a long story and dont mind a bit of shonen(somewhere between trigun and DBZ).

Honourable mention to avatar which is not strictly anime, but takes a lot of influence from anime, and its really good.