What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Mine would undoubtedly go to the spice orange, wired GameCube controller.

On top of being the only orange, name-brand controller that i have ever owned (with orange being my favorite color), the controller design of all of the gamecube controllers was absolutely perfect, with their only flaw being that they were wired, and possibly that there wasn't a 4th shoulder button, but that one is debatable.

The wings of the controller fit naturally into your hand, and i never once felt cramped while using those controllers during the entire lifespan of the gamecube. add on top of that the wonderful button lay out: one single gigantic A button, with three smaller buttons positioned around it, almost making it feel like another joystick. the shoulder had these nice little grooves, so that your fingers stayed positioned on them at all times; mixed with a simply fantastic pressure button, that lead to a satisfying click every time that you needed full power for something. i love absolutely everything about these controllers; hell, they didn't even mess up the d-pad.

Second place would probably go to the wireless 360 controllers, and third would go to the SNES super pad (seriously, those round buttons were a god send after dealing with the grooved buttons of the NES and early SNES controllers.

No credit for sony here though. while making what is easily the most easy 4-button combination to remember in existence (square, x, circle, and triangle), the idea of having two joysticks in the middle is a truly terrible one. cramped hands and all that jazz.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Playstation Dual Shock!

Seriously, I've been playing with one for 3 generations of console and not been annoyed with it yet.

And you are obviously just not skilled, the two joysticks never bothered me.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
I liked the Pelican and MadCatz brand controllers for the N64. The non-trident-looking ones. The standard N64 controller would be my least favorite, though, but that's a post for another thread.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

Seriously, I've been playing with one for 3 generations of console and not been annoyed with it yet.

The size has always bothered me. I have large hands and the 360 and the "S" controller for the xbox always felt more comfortable. The layout feels just right for my hand size as well. Where the dual shock becomes uncomfortable after extended playing sessions almost like my thumb just isn't quite in the right place for long periods of time. Even the large controllers for the xbox where preferable to me before I got used to the "S" controller.

And just where does skill enter into him not liking the dualshock? The controller he mentioned as his current favorite has two analog sticks. They just aren't crammed into the middle of the controller. The original controller layout was superb, then they added the dualshock features and had to cram those two analog sticks somewhere onto the controller. They just managed to be able to do in a way that was mostly comfortable, but they are still more of an after through on the original controller design.

mrbones228

Dec 13, 2009
The 360 controller.
I love the way it fits in your hand and all the buttons are in the right place for comfortable mashing.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The playstation controller. It feels like an evolution of the SNES controller, which was also pretty good.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
For looks the N64 but for the genreal feel dualshock because I've grown up with it.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
S-Type controller for the original Xbox is my favorite. The DS2 is the most versatile controller, but it doesn't feel all that good to me with some genres of game. Shooters in particular feel a lot better with an S-Type.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
manaman said:
The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

The size has always bothered me. I have large hands and the 360 and the "S" controller for the xbox always felt more comfortable. The layout feels just right for my hand size as well. Where the dual shock becomes uncomfortable after extended playing sessions almost like my thumb just isn't quite in the right place for long periods of time. Even the large controllers for the xbox where preferable to me before I got used to the "S" controller.
I have large hands also...

Its probably just the fact that I'm so used to it... its been like 12 years since I first got a PS1... My hands probably moulded to it as I grew. Xbox controllers always felt clumsy to me... especially the old big ones. The 360 ones aren't too bad but I find they have positioned some of the buttons badly. Just my opinion.

Although after long periods playing burnout paradise my thumb did go numb(X is boost), sometimes for a couple of days. But I don't think that's anything to do with the controller.

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
"The Duke"

Large-handed gamers everywhere mourn its passing. And you could use it to bludgeon your friends when they beat you in Soul Calibur 2.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Pararaptor said:
I do like a nice, big wireless XBox controller. Seriously, Microsoft got the controller absolutely spot-on.
im with you on this one, its easy on the hands, its light, and if you chuck it, it won't take the Xbox with it.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I do prefer the Xbox 360 one, but it's not made for Marvel vs. Capcom 2

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
The_Healer said:
I have large hands also...

Its probably just the fact that I'm so used to it... its been like 12 years since I first got a PS1... My hands probably moulded to it as I grew. Xbox controllers always felt clumsy to me... especially the old big ones. The 360 ones aren't too bad but I find they have positioned some of the buttons badly. Just my opinion.

Although after long periods playing burnout paradise my thumb did go numb(X is boost), sometimes for a couple of days. But I don't think that's anything to do with the controller.
I had a PS1 right around summer of 96'... Gezz that's been a while, got a PS2 about a year and half after they launched and I just got my second PS3 (first one tried its best to catch the living room on fire. Still prefer the 360 controller.

You can admit anytime that controller preference might have more to do with personal tastes and the way a persons body is shaped, and not a slight on your hardware of choice. Cause the way you make it sound in your initial post was that the controller was supreme and anyone that says different is just not good enough for it.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
manaman said:
I had a PS1 right around summer of 96'... Gezz that's been a while, got a PS2 about a year and half after they launched and I just got my second PS3 (first one tried its best to catch the living room on fire. Still prefer the 360 controller.

You can admit anytime that controller preference might have more to do with personal tastes and the way a persons body is shaped, and not a slight on your hardware of choice. Cause the way you make it sound in your initial post was that the controller was supreme and anyone that says different is just not good enough for it.
It is supreme! You read right my good friend! Nothing that says different will change... My Opinion

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I thought the N64 was brilliant. Just kidding, that was a god awful controller. Three handholds? What the hell?

I'm with the Xbox 360 here, it fits so well into your hands and the buttons are all easily accessible. It's perfect.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I will get shit for this but the WiiMote.
I think it feels really natural with the nunchuck attachment.

But I do conclude that it has not been used properly. I don't like all the crappy shaking actions and such.

Otherwise I'm gonna go with n64, since keyboard/mouse isn't an option.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Ranorak said:
I do prefer the Xbox 360 one, but it's not made for Marvel vs. Capcom 2
or any fighting game for that matter. Both the D-pad and the joystick feel off when trying to do special moves in almost any game except maybe Soul Caliber 4 and Dead or Alive 4 for some simplistic (compared to most fighting games anyway) special moves.

The fisrt Sega Genesis controllers fit like a glove. You can play on them for hours and your hands will not get sore. As for current gen I'll go with the S controller for Xbox. Mostly for the same reasoning, but my hands tend to cramp up after a while with it.