What is your favorite Final Fantasy game?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
VII. It was my first JRPG and back in the day it utterly blew me away.

VIII was... alright, but felt smaller than VII and seemed to spend a lot of time on a limited number of big set pieces (perhaps as a consquence of the more detailed visual style reducing the number of places they could squeeze onto the discs.)

IX I've never finished. I just couldn't follow the overarching plot, and by the time I hit the 4th disc I realised I had no idea where I was, what I was trying to do or even who the bad guys were, so I just lost interest.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
FF IX. I love Amano's character design and they are a must for me in a FF game, FF IX was the last one he designed, altought FF X had a battle system more to my liking and FF VI had a more inspired Uematsu's work and a story i liked more, but at the end FF IX is the one that did everything right for me....

Except the cards GOD I HATE THOSE CARDS

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Of all time: probably 7 because I'm edgy like that.

Right now: versus 13, watching those trailers bring me more joy than playing any of the other FFs at the moment.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Well FFVII was my first RPG so holds a special place in my heart but looking at the entire series it has to be FFIX for me. Has the best group of characters out of the FF games and also an amazing setting that I could just walk around and enjoy. Treno is still one of my favourite cities in all gaming.....mmm favourite cities in gaming, that could be a discussion for another time.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I would have to say IX, which I am playing right now. I played it back when I was around 10 and was absolutely terrible at it, but still loved it.

Also, the original. Admittedly, I've only played the remake on iOS, but I like the honest simplicity about the whole thing.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Played X, X-2 and XII

XII is my favourite.
I would almost say I prefer X-2 over X. (I know, I know, but at least X-2 has pacing and exploration)

starslasher

May 21, 2011
For me my fave was VI. The characters were great, and the character development was greater. The battle system was great, as it gave a very good balance between customisation and unique gameplay for each character, IMO. Plot was good, and it was just so enticing.

As for the others:

I: it's the original, but very, basic stuff. I just finished it last year, and its successors were far superior, i would have to say.

II: Didn't like it. I was playing through it last year. I found it interesting as not having any level ups, but there was really no draw for me. I still have it on my laptop, but i never feel the urge to return to complete it.

III: never played it.

IV: Not bad. story wasn't bad. but it won't make it in my top 5, should i think up of one.

V: Love the Job Class - the defining system for other FF games - the locations were pretty good, but the story wasn't that great, i'm afraid.

VII: It was pretty good. It really did pull me in. Has probably the best battle theme within the series, if not any game that i've ever played. Gives me goosebumps and makes my glands produces andrenalin like crazy.

VIII: My first game in the FF series. as you can expect, i have a soft spot for this one. I might be the only one who liked the GF-Junction system. The plot...was not so great. It's got some good tracks in it though.

IX: Initially, I didn't like it, from the battle system to the cartoony look of it. In retrospect, I really miss the game.

X: Was my first game on the PS2. It was special in that I just got the PS2 was a gift for graduation from my parents. I was loving it back then. The characters were developed nicely, the battle system was good. i just didn't like that it wasn't the same open world as the previous titles were.

XI: Never played.

XII: Watched my brother play it. Had probably the coolest Cid in the series. But i didn't like the battles systems, on pretty much all levels.

XIII: Liked the battle system, but hated the plot.

Tactics: Liked the battle system, plot was good, overall a good game, but not great. I am not as enamored with it as many others are.

Sleipnir

Oct 17, 2009
VIII and IX, never saw the fascination with VII, X and X-2 make me rage, I think the characters are awful and annoying, especially Yuna... I've wanted to punch her since she first spoke...

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Of those that I've played, from I to IX (Although I like it, I'm not counting X), I just can't decide between IV and IX.

I finally managed to get a decent set of Origins & Anthology and a new copy of VI for the PS1 a while ago, so I embarked on my I-IX quest. I held out on VI so I've not played a great deal of it yet and I'm only just beginning to get through II so it'll be a while.

I think if I was forced to choose, I'd have to say IX but it's really close. And I'm not even going to try ranking the lot.

Maveroid

Apr 22, 2009
Final Fantasy XI was the first game in the series that I had a chance to play. Unfortunately I only had the chance to play through the first disc since it was a rental back then, but that does not keep me from saying that that one disc was more enjoyable than any other Final Fantasy experience I've had.

I just recently started to delve into the Final Fantasy games, but honestly, none of them keeps me interested long enough.
Final Fantasy 7 was fine, but I stopped after 15 hours because of a memory card failure (which is a pretty long time if you think about it).
Final Fantasy 6 kept me until my save point was erased (which was around 7 hours in).
Final Fantasy 4 was just boring in my opinion.
Final Fantasy 5 was even worse. God was that story boring, did anyone ever enjoy it? (Only read half the thread for now)
Final Fantasy 13 is very boring in the beginning, then more enjoyable for around 5 hours and then it just gets extremely boring again. I heard it actually gets better later so I am going to keep playing...someday.
Final Fantasy 8 is pretty fun, I don't know why I stopped playing. I think it was my indecisive behavior when it came to functioning my GF and so on. I kind of wished it was just like 7 but with the atmosphere and characters from 8.

Final Fantasy 9 would have most likely kept me interested for a longer time had I actually bought it since I never felt like the excitement stopped.

Man, this thread makes me want to skip a lecture today and just get Final Fantasy 9 on PSN. I am hungry. For Final Fantasy I mean. Well, I would like a sandwich too. But I shouldn't skip lectures... Self-discipline and all that...
... But who knows.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Best FF for me is VIII. Great characters and setting. I also enjoy X and XII a lot (loved the story on FFX and loved the combat system on XII).Least favourite? FFX-2.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Winner:
FF 6 - This game simply had the most memorable moments for me in a FF game. The characters, villains and music are fantastic. The opera house sequence is what triggered my love for instrumental music.

Runner Up:
FF 5 - This holds up extremely well as a story. It has the potential to be my favorite if not for the final act of going to the moon and having pretty much everyone whose 'died' actually live. The music doesn't stand up against FF6 at all, but the story is the best of the series.

And the remaining contenders in order...
FF 13
FF 12
FF 1
FF 10
FF 7

The others that I've played aren't games that I'd consider to be great. The only one I've never played that I've been meaning to get my hands on is FF9.

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
Sorry, but that's like asking me to choose which one of my children i favour the most. Even if X-2 is the outrageously camp, rebelious child i still love it in its own special way.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
XII, sue me. I liked the combat system, the leveling system, the story, the music and the setting. Put over 1000 hours in it.
Exactly this. This is the one I sunk all my hours into, wanted to do every hunt, and grinded endlessly and DIDN'T get bored. No other FF games can have that claim in my life.

BarnaclePD

Feb 3, 2011
Difficult to say really, but it has to be V, VII or IX they are simply the most well-rounded of the games, not too japanese, not too western, Good Stories, Good Characters and a good game system.

And i gotta throw XII in there too, was such a FUN game, and ofc it had Gilgamesh in it so gains points from me there.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
My only request would be "don't make me choose!"

VI, VII, VIII and IX I adore, in spite of their various shortcomings (laughable translation, junction systems, plot holes etc). They were the first ones I played, and what began a love affair with the series that is still ongoing to this day.

IV, X and XII are up there, but not the best. Bits of these are brilliant, such as X's battle system where you could swap characters in and out, or XII's Balthier.

The others I've played and enjoyed, but not necessarily to the extent of the others. I didn't mind XIII, and I've pre-ordered XIII-2, but I wouldn't say they were shining examples of the franchise.

The online ones I've never played.

Coolest Cid? VII's without question. "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!" That is all.