What is your Favorite Location In Skyrim?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm still really new to Skyrim (please ignore the 200+ save games and double-digit gameplay hours) but in my limited experience, any of the sweeping plains areas. I believe Whiterun has some plains around it...watching Mammoths roam across the open plains is just really cool to take in.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
So far it is between Whiterun and Solitude because that is where people have generally been nicer to me. Rift is a hive of scum and villainy. Windhelm is full of racist nords, Solitude is nice except for the racist elves.

When I first walked up to Markarth I thought I would enjoy it but the moment I walked in I new it would be more trouble then its worth. It really is a fucked up place for more than one reason.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Paul said:
I love Markarth. The architecture is my favorite of any environment I've encountered in the game yet, and I want to buy Vlindrel Hall in the city since it seems like a worthy purchase. Unfortunately though, the bug with it means I can't, so I am hoping it is addressed in a patch.

Standing outside Vlindrel Hall and looking down to the city below is something that makes me really happy about the game design. Markarth reminds me a little of Fallout 3's Megaton with the different tiers of the city, but it's a much more elegant looking city.

I haven't yet looked out from the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary but the next time I'm at it I'm going to remember to take a look, since I imagine the environment will be fantastic looking. Markarth remains my favorite location in Skyrim at the moment but if I see something really amazing it could be topped.
THERE'S A BUG WITH VLINDREL HALL?!

Sorry for caps. You panicked me.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I loved Frostflow Lighthouse. It had absolutely fantastic environmental storytelling. It was also where I first encountered the Chaurus and Falmer, which was perfect as an introduction.
Same thing here. That lighthouse was what made me love Skyrim. I had just retrieved Erandur and was making my way to Winterhold when I found it. I cheesed the encounter with the reaper by just waiting on an unreachable ledge and spamming iron arrows. Chaurus ripped me to shreds at that level.

God, that place was amazing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Bard's Leap Summit is very nice. Also, the Dwemer ruins that are accessible through the excavation north of Windhelm are incredible. I think it's Alftand.

Shaughn Caso

Mar 29, 2010
the Blackreach, the biologist in me is constantly fascinated by the fauna, I also like the Dwemer architecture throughout the monstrous cavern

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
My treasure just outside of Winterhold. I literally have thousands of jewels and at least a hundred thousand gold stored there. Along with my spare sets of deadric armor and any dragon bones or scales I pick up.

I feel like Scrooge McDuck hehe

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
dancinginfernal said:
DustyDrB said:
I loved Frostflow Lighthouse. It had absolutely fantastic environmental storytelling. It was also where I first encountered the Chaurus and Falmer, which was perfect as an introduction.
Same thing here. That lighthouse was what made me love Skyrim. I had just retrieved Erandur and was making my way to Winterhold when I found it. I cheesed the encounter with the reaper by just waiting on an unreachable ledge and spamming iron arrows. Chaurus ripped me to shreds at that level.

God, that place was amazing.
That was your first run-in with Chaurus as well? I remember I was just wandering the area and I saw this lonely little lighthouse, so I decided to drop in and check it out. Then there was that body and the creepy notes on the floor where you enter. And that clicking. Then you read about the clicking.

I'm glad someone else loved it. I don't hear many people talking about it, so I was just a weird person who likes something everyone else finds boring.

HalBuzzkill

Apr 15, 2011
I'd have to say the Winterhold area, especially the College but the surrounding landscape is also interesting to me, probably because I'm a big fan of snow. I especially enjoy the College because it's a place of learning of sorts, and not just of learning any old thing but of magic. I find it a place I like to hang around for reasons I can't quite entirely explain.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I'm still exploring around, so I can't speak to all the more notable locations. Off the top of my head, I can think of one, rather unorthodox location... the tiny path up the cliff face on the way to Ivarstead. The view and atmosphere in that area just gets to me. It's also where I first thought to myself "How much of this game's environment is specifically designed for gorgeous views and how much is simply a matter of the innate beauty of everything melding together perfectly?"

7:15 for the approximate location. Keep watching to see what I'm referring to.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
The forest around Riften. Looks beautiful and warm. Also that one area where it gives you a Gandalf Leap of faith.

Edit: I believe this is appropriate

Paul

Aug 21, 2009
Thyunda said:
THERE'S A BUG WITH VLINDREL HALL?!
If you're looking to buy it, you can't speak to Raerek with anything less than the money needed to buy it (8,000 Gold), and you need to buy it right there and then. You also cannot have completed "No One Escapes from Cidhna Mine". With that, I've made sure to do both and render the house probably broken forever, unless a patch arrives which sorts it out and accepts the five or more missions I did to become Thane.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Blackreach or Markarth.
Markarth is my favorite city and I love the architecture.
Blackreach is simply breath taking.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Every place I get to is amazing. Yeah...
Totally true though. I just love it. It's grat.