What is your gamer stereotype breaking hobby?

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I love going to concerts. I suppose that kind of breaks the stereotype? If it's supposed to be someone who stays at home, mostly games, and would be too shy to go to such places. I go to clubs and bars too.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Used to be a defensive lineman for my high school american football team. I was by FAR the nerdiest guy in the group. Could probably have continued on into college, if I had not correctly surmised that my chosen career path would leave zilch time for physical training. Somewhat out of shape these days, but I still have the ridiculous thigh muscles.

More recently, perhaps my penchant for animal care would apply. Somehow, in spite of having nothing to do with zoos or veterinary practice, over the years, one way or another I've ended up at least helping to care for, raise, and/or train members of several dozen different species. I've turned out to be surprisingly good at it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, there's...
uuh...

I mean I guess... no, no that won't work.

No I can't really think of anything to be honest.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Pfft. I don't need other hobbies to break the gamer stereotype, because I'm a girl. /sarcasm

In reality though, I break the stereotype by being a film buff, a writer(duh), a filmmaker, I enjoy swimming, driving, car customization, listening to music on awesome sound systems(like the one in my car) and a bunch of other shit. Wat I absolutely hate doing is sitting around the house, stuffing my gob full of Cheetos while playing a game because I've got nothing else to do. Unfortunately, that seems to be where my life is right now because my friends kinda suck.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
DoPo said:
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?
I think it's that you're not uninformed enough. The population of video gamers is just as diverse as those who read books or watch movies.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
I'm a fan of most sports, and an avid follower of baseball. I also do a good bit of writing (mostly comedy), and have even done a few stand-up routines during local amateur mic nights that were fairly well received.

Between those, a true love of cooking, and the ability to do my own car maintenance, that's about all I can think of.

Edit: Oh yeah. And I'm a huge musical theater fan.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I play drums. Well... kinda. I've played classical percussion for more than two years now [small](snare drum, bass drum, suspended cymbal, crash cymbal, auxiliary)[/small]. Just finally got to play the timpani in my college ensemble [small](they're the big bowl shaped drums)[/small] after begging my instructor for a piece. :p

Right now I'm learning how to play the full drum set. And I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has any tips, that would be fantastic. >.>

I'm also teaching myself how to dance. But it really just boils down to me just dancing in my room with no one looking. I'm still trying to be this guy though:

Damn... So cool...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
DoPo said:
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?
I think it's that you're not uninformed enough. The population of video gamers is just as diverse as those who read books or watch movies.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, the question was what hobbies are expected. I myself hate stereotypes - they reduce us to just an aspect of ourselves, often one that is wrong or so incomplete it's laughable. In fact, the whole concept of stereotypes is laughable...if it wasn't as grating. People are just people - what they like or where they come from, etc, doesn't have as much of an impact on the whole of them as stereotypes would let you believe. So I don't tend to keep up with the depictions of this arbitrary group or the other, hence I don't know of any stereotypical hobbies for gamers. Outside of "video games", of course.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
It's not so much a hobby, but my full time job is being an Automotive Mechanic.

Beyond that, I also happen to be rather sociable.

TheHomelessHero

Apr 11, 2013
I love to do Archery, it relieves stress and takes my mind off of college work, much like video games, except you know, more peaceful and quiet.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I draw.

I try to draw alot because I am studying for animation. At least 2 hours of drawing/concept art per day.

Line art I guess:

http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Scolipede-Sketch-347530107
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Typhlosion-Sketch-339122726
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Empoleon-Sketch-326170981
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Sceptile-Sketch-340900996

Yeah, its of pokemon, I have a few more but thats just a to demo my skills

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I tend to go out hiking, enjoy playing the guitar, and go out to parties about 2-3 times a week.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not that shy or quiet, but I am introverted. Keeping that in mind, one of my favourite things to do is to get up on stage and rock the fuck out with my band. We just play in bars and earn maybe $50 apiece and a couple of beers but it's liberating and incredibly satisfying to watch people enjoy something you created. Besides, I like showing off my gear!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I'm fairly artistic. Although, I don't know if this constitutes as a stereotype breaking hobby or not.

My first attempt at pointillism:

Grumpy Cat:

Wish I could get better at digital art, though. I mainly just doodle when I'm using my tablet.

Other than that? Nothin'.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Does my job(construction worker/carpenter) count?

That's the only thing I can think of since the rest is so far into nerd territory it's not even funny

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I guess my personal importance on exercise and staying fit. I run a good 2 miles a day, sometimes more or less and lift weights. My love of fencing and swordplay can be traced back to gaming so I guess that fits the gamer stereotype of "swords are cool!" I've shocked people who upon hearing gaming is my main hobby would say stuff like "you don't look like a gamer" or "you like video games and working out? That's a weird combo." I know that there is the stereotype that gamers are out of shape and all(I used to fit that), but it can't be that shocking. >.>

Terminate421 said:
I draw.

I try to draw alot because I am studying for animation. At least 2 hours of drawing/concept art per day.

Line art I guess:
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Scolipede-Sketch-347530107
That's a really good Scolipede sketch, I need to find an excuse to use it more often, I usually don't like bug types, but Gamefreak sure is trying to change that by giving us Scolipede and Volcarona.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Here's the thing. I have lots of non nerdy stuff that I WANT to do but the problem is that I can't.

I like archery going to the driving range (golfing) and fishing occasionally but none of those are available to me. There is a lake near where I live but nothing really lives in it so you never catch anything.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I like to write, draw, and I'm learning to play guitar. I'm not good at any of them either, but I do it for fun so I really don't care. (Gaming isn't my only hobby)

I like nearly EVERY genre of game, except realistic sports games and fighting games. (I'm not a fanboy of any one genre of game)

I have at one point owned and played: PS3, 360, PC and Wii, and other handhelds. (Not a console fanboy, or PC MASTER RACE).

While I am pretty antisocial, I can talk to people pretty easily, I just can't handle large groups of strangers well.