What is your gamer stereotype breaking hobby?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Hero of Lime said:
I guess my personal importance on exercise and staying fit. I run a good 2 miles a day, sometimes more or less and lift weights. My love of fencing and swordplay can be traced back to gaming so I guess that fits the gamer stereotype of "swords are cool!" I've shocked people who upon hearing gaming is my main hobby would say stuff like "you don't look like a gamer" or "you like video games and working out? That's a weird combo." I know that there is the stereotype that gamers are out of shape and all(I used to fit that), but it can't be that shocking. >.>

Terminate421 said:
I draw.

I try to draw alot because I am studying for animation. At least 2 hours of drawing/concept art per day.

Line art I guess:
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Scolipede-Sketch-347530107
That's a really good Scolipede sketch, I need to find an excuse to use it more often, I usually don't like bug types, but Gamefreak sure is trying to change that by giving us Scolipede and Volcarona.
Check out my other line arts:

http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Typhlosion-Sketch-339122726
http://terminate421.deviantart.com/art/Empoleon-Sketch-326170981

I find pokemon make for great practice.

Aidan Goldthorpe

Dec 17, 2010
I really love parkour, which takes a bit more effort to practice than video games unfortunately. I also play euphonium and I'm performing in a musical soon, so I guess that's different. Just in general, I'm pretty athletic and somewhat social. Yay for varied activities.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I'm outgoing, and I'm a bit of a fitness nut.

Yeah, every other part of me suggests I'm a gamer. At least in a stereotypical sense.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well...

Everyone I've ever met pretty much has liked me. It's been at least 3 years since I've met anyone who didn't like me so I guess you can say I have style and social skillz.

camscottbryce

Mar 14, 2013
War Penguin said:
I play drums. Well... kinda. I've played classical percussion for more than two years now [small](snare drum, bass drum, suspended cymbal, crash cymbal, auxiliary)[/small]. Just finally got to play the timpani in my college ensemble [small](they're the big bowl shaped drums)[/small] after begging my instructor for a piece. :p

Right now I'm learning how to play the full drum set. And I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has any tips, that would be fantastic. >.>

I'm also teaching myself how to dance. But it really just boils down to me just dancing in my room with no one looking. I'm still trying to be this guy though:

Damn... So cool...
You've introduced me to something fantastic. Damn.

As for myself, I "do" theatre sometimes, as in, I act, sing, etc. on stage. I need to get back into it, but yeah, that's what I've got.

In terms of meshing the two, I always wondered what the reaction would be to a "musical" game.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I am a 100KG bodybuilder, only 12% is fat, nuff said.

OK, FINE! I also do piano, archery, painting, and 3D Modeling, and "used" to scuba dive. Would not have enough time to do all that if I gamed all the time despite still putting in 1-2 hours of games every other day?

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Dungeons and Drago...
I mean, Warhamme...

Erm.

I used to traverse, and I used to do archery.
But these days I just walk for two hours every morning and... exercise while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil?

Don't look down on me! I can press-up from the moment it starts to the moment it ends, fifty or more! Just you try it!
I can also stand on my hands the whole time!

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I make clothing. Admittedly it's mostly for making cosplays, which is pretty damn geeky, so maybe it doesn't count? I don't know, that's all I got :L

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Well, I do consider myself to be moderatly proficient with the ancient and deadly art of the nunchaku.

Also, as far as the shy and awkward stereotype goes, most of my friends will tell you that I'm the most outgoing and social person they know.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Stereotype-breaking hobby? As though I perpetuate a stereotype to begin with? Nonsense.

*Goes off to get drunk on whiskey and wine, eat pasta, and then pick a fight with everybody*

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I play piano (a skill not involving Potion-Making to Guns is something that most gamers probably lack)
I like drawing a lot, too. I was good at it in high school, and I want to go back to it.

I'm not really sure if that's stereotype breaking, because it's still nerdy and socially awkward.
Oh, and I watch too many musicals.

Magicite Spring

Apr 15, 2012
I play sport. Specifically, Inline Hockey, which is the poor man's equivalent to ice hockey played on inline skates. The place I grew up in didn't have an ice rink, so inline was the only option for me. It a cooler sport than ice anyway, as its so much faster and there's more scoring. I'm pretty good too, having made my national age group team once. I'm aiming to make it again this year or the next.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Uhhh, I like to make homemade food a lot? Because usually 'gamers' eat junk food? That's a thing right?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DoPo said:
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?
You're pretty well informed, that seems to be the accepted stereotype.

OT: I write stuff, I also write stuff about games though. I also like music and watch movies.

Manga, anime are also hobbies I have. And exercise too.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
DoPo said:
titankore said:
So fellow escapsists, what are some of your favorite things besides gaming that people don't expect of gamers?
What do people expect from gamers? I'm pretty sure any hobby that's not "video games" doesn't fit with the stereotype. Or am I not informed enough?
Yeah, I thought the stereotypical gamer didn't have any other hobbies!

I fence foil, write short fiction, sew teddy bears, and do lights/sound for am dram. None of those are massively "non-nerdy" pursuits. I guess I'm a fairly indoor-activity person.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yoga. I had problems with my lower back when I was a kid so I started attending Yoga classes. It fixed me right up and I've stuck with it since. I spend a lot of time sitting at home and at work, and generally sleep in contorted, deformed positions, so Yoga is perfect to keep me from fucking myself up too badly. Though, when I tell my gaming friends I do Yoga, they find it weird, just as my Yoga friends find my gaming to be odd...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Well if people consider gamers shy/unsocial/awkward/whatever I'm a stand up comedian although honestly we're some of the nerdiest people alive.
I know exactly what you mean - I used to be part of an comedy improv group back in uni and we were pretty much all RPG nuts and gamers. There were also several other groups we met who were exactly that same.

I'm a theatre person - am dram, but I do a lot of acting and backstage work. I suppose that counts...