What is your go to movie?

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Either The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises, now that it's out.

There's just something to be said about coming home from the pub, putting in the disk and quoting the villains. And for some reason, you just appreciate the whole film a lot more.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I've seen the Dark Knight about 12 times. No hyperbole.

Honorary mention goes to Die Hard.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Ponyo! PonyoponyoponyoponyponyoponyoPONYO!!! It's just so wonderfully innocent and cheerful it never fails to put me in a good mood. Just wait a few minutes and I'll be grinning like an idiot with glee, cuddled up in the fetal position and going "Aaaaaaawwwwww".

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Withnail & I. It has to be my favourite movie of all time.

It's interesting how many people have said Shaun of the Dead. I love that movie, though it's interesting that there's so much love for it.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
my go-to movie, I have a few, first one that comes to mind...Rent....fuck you I love that movie,

honorary mentions go to Scott Pilgrim vs the World, any Christopher Nolan Batman movie, Mortal Kombat: the movie, or anything by Studio Ghibli

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm a pretentious bastard, I'll usually put on The Fall if I'm on my own (or if there's someone that hasn't seen it. Then I insist they watch it). It's just so damn pretty...

M K Ultra

Nov 27, 2012
The Big Lebowski

12 Monkeys

Mr. Brooks

All of these are the movies I end up watching in their entirety even when its only one scene I want to watch.

! Also Finding Nemo is my safety blanket movie for those times

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
The Cat Returns. AHH HELL, any Studio Ghibli film ^_^ I've lost count of how many times I've watched Howl's moving castle :D I've watched almost all of their films and I can't actually think of anything negative about any of them, I think they're just all perfect, from the visuals, the music, the characters, ALL of it

But, The Cat Returns is just utterly hilarious and absolutely one of my favorite films ever ^_^

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
dr. strangelove
kung fu hustle
stardust
depends on my mood
TheRightToArmBears said:
I'm a pretentious bastard, I'll usually put on The Fall if I'm on my own (or if there's someone that hasn't seen it. Then I insist they watch it). It's just so damn pretty...
and yess the fall was awsome!!!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Easily The Blues Brothers..... Brilliant music and a hilarious story make for an awesome film.

AdamxD

Mar 5, 2012
I usually go for a TV Series instead; Chuck.
As well as the battle scenes from Lord Of The Rings, with a bit of added Samwise Gamgee in Osgiliath.

But if I try harder and am feeling really down I'll go for Princess Mononoke.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Shaun of the Dead when I want to laugh and My Neighbor Totoro when I need to smile. Those are my two go-to movies that never fail to put me in a good mood. Princess Mononoke is my go-to action movie with a brain.

I'm just reading through some of these other posts and I think the thread title should be changed to "What Is Your Go-To Studio Ghibli Movie". It's not a criticism, just an observation.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Equilibrium.

I absolutely love that film. Lost count how many times i've watched it.

Or Predator.

I know the lines off by heart to both of those.
Did you know that John preston has One of the highest kill counts of any action hero's
Also equlibrim
and starwars

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vampire's Kiss.

<youtube=01vfavRV_aE>

It's difficult for me to explain just how much I adore this movie. It's absolutely perfect in every way.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Shawshank Redemption

To me, it is one of the best, most complete movies of all time. At the very least, the best in my lifetime.

A close second would probably be:

The Silence of the Lambs

It used to be my first, but I'm not always in a "psychological horror" mood, so it's not always the "go to" film for me.

I recently got a nice digital projector and I watch movies on a 106" screen in my gaming-cave. Both movies are incredible on the big screen, but especially Silence of the Lambs due to Demme's "up close" camera style for critical dialogue. Shawshank is a period piece, so it's timeless. Silence of the Lambs at times feels dated, and the cinematography (outside of Demme's close-up style) doesn't really stand up anymore.

Also, any classic 70s, 80's or even 90's Sci-Fi. The golden-era for Science Fiction in film probably being late 70's and the 80's. Whenever one of these movies comes on, you're almost obligated to watch it. Stuff like Alien, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, The Thing.. etc.

Popbangwoo

Jan 6, 2012
Probably The Avengers, just because it's A)Marvel, B)Funny C)Plenty of action sequences D)Its directed by Joss Whedon, and its just a generally amazing film that cheers you up.

EDIT: How can you guys say Shawshank is a go to movie? Yes it is awesome but its a tad depressing.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Total Recall - the Schwarzenegger version. It's my favorite violent, over-the-top AHNULD movie to date.

Oh, and the Nightmare Before Christmas. The film is amazing.