What is your GOTY so far?

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
I've sunk the most hours into Guild Wars 2, but my personal favorite game of 2012? MGS3: Snake Eater HD for Vita. I know it doesn't count but...whatever. Let's say Gravity Rush because there have been so many good portable titles that everyone seems to be forgetting, and that is my favorite.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
So far for me, It's Mass Effect 3 or Borderlands 2, (Unless SHOGUN 2: Fall OF the Samurai counts)
having said that, I have not tried Dishonoured yet, and I'm yet to get my hands on a 3DS.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
mrscott137 said:
I've gotta say Katawa Shoujo, best writing and characters I have ever seen in a game and made me cry like hell, the first game to elicit that much emotion from me.
Oh man I forgot about Katawa Shoujo. Really amazing visual novel, plus it's free so everyone should try it.

Teshi

May 8, 2010
NpPro93 said:
Spec Ops: The Line, Journey, Sleeping Dogs, and Dishonored have been my favorites so far.

For GOTY I'd probably have to give it to Spec Ops just because its such a mindblowing game. Journey was the most beautiful game I've played in a long time, though--like modern art in video game form.

Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored were more standard affairs but incredibly solid ones that I enjoyed greatly.
I agree with you about Dishonored. It's a fun game and really well-constructed, and I appreciate that it's not a sequel. But it didn't really do anything particularly original, unlike Journey or Spec Ops: The Line.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I'm not quite sure about my GOTY, but my favourites this year have Spec Ops: The Line, Binary Domain, The Darkness Two, and The Witcher Two: Enhanced Edition.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's hard for me to really choose a "game of the year" because this year has been very disappointing to me overall. Very little in the way of truely epic RPG experiences that haven't been literally ripped apart by their flaws. "Mass Effect 3" was too shooter-ish for my tastes for example, and then that ending pretty much invalidated any praise I might have had for the story.

I suppose if I had to pick one it would be "The Secret World" for all of it's flaws it tried to do something very differant in the MMO scene, it has quite a good world and story behind it, and while the mechanics and customization were not all I hoped for, they are surprisingly workable. This game was however considered to be something of an "epic fail" so I guess I'm on a differant wavelength from most people.

I did put a pretty substantial amount of time into "X-Com: Enemy Unknown" but it got repetitive, and honestly didn't have quite the depth I was hoping for. Had they included more varied maps, more features and tech, and more things you could do with your Soldiers I might feel differant about it. To me it seemed like a decent skeleton for a game, but one where they intended to inevitably expand it through dozens of DLCs.

"Borderlands 2" was okay for a shooter, but honestly I didn't much care for the whole "golden key" system, especially seeing as I don't use twitter. Made me feel like I'm losing out and being punished for not embracing social media and instead primatly just playing the games. I do play to go back and finish it a few times, but playing a couple of MMOs (TSW, STO, and a little GW2 when I have time) all very casually nowadays I haven't put a lot into Borderlands 2.

For me "Diablo 3" was probably the biggest disappointment of the year, to be blunt it struck me as being vastly inferior to years older titles like "Sacred 2" which did more to innovate in this genere than I could have expected. I tried to do "World Of Warcraft" again (forsaking my other MMO interests), hoping my guild would reform for the new expansion (which didn't happen) as much as I disliked the "Panda" idea. The big turn off for me was that WoW decided to simplify itself even further, taking everything I hated about Diablo 3 and pretty much putting it into WoW as mechanics. No more talents or anything... yuck.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
For my favorites, Crusader Kings II is definitely up there, along with The Walking Dead, Total War: Shogun 2-Fall of the Samurai, Mass Effect 3, Civ 5: Gods and Kings, and The Secret World, which was a fun idea, but if I had to give one game GOTY, it would be The Walking Dead. It's the first time in a long time I played a game and got so attached to the characters, and apart from the few times I wanted there to be another way out of a problem, I always felt that the choices I made were the choices I would make in the situation.

JakeNubbin

Jul 23, 2009
Gameplay- Dishonored
Story- Journey
Characters- Mass Effect 3
Indie- FTL
World- Darksiders 2
WTF Where Did This Come From?- Spec Ops, The Line
Sequel or Threequil Made By A Slightly Different Developer- Max Payne 3
Combination Of Gameplay- Sleeping Dogs
Awesome Because Of One or Two Awesome Ideas- Dragons Dogma
Multiplayer- Borderlands 2
Honorable Mention- Mark of the Ninja
Retro-esque- Intrusion 2
Soundtrack- Tie Between All Games Mentioned
3DS Whatever Because- Uhhh, Dream Drop Distance Because Riku Was There
There, everybody happy? Personally my GOTY is the Play Station All Stars Beta, with Mass Effect 3 a close second.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm...

I would probably pick either Journey or Xenoblade Chronicles.

And I just realized how different those two games are in length. XD

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Mass effect 3 gains first place for me, easily. Despite all the (justified) criticism it's gotten, I still think it was one of the better games I've played.

Tightly following that would be Faster Then Light, an indie-game that proove to probably be the most price-worthy game I've bought this year.

And of course The Walking Dead, prooving that a zombie-game can have an immersive and deep story with interesting content rather then be a brainless shooter.

Also close, but not quite qualifiying, would be Max Payne 3 and Crusader Kings 2. I suppose Sins of Solar Empire: Rebellion deserves to share a corner too.

I dont expect either Halo 4 or Assasins Creed 3 to top ME3's place, but they'll probably be high on the list as well, both seems like excellent games that im looking forward to play.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Definately Mass Effect 3 <3

I am a super major mass effect fangirl and so i'm required to vote for it by default :p

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I thought the above posters were joking, but I went and played Frog Fractions and i'm going with that. Walking Dead would be my runner up.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Wow was Mass Effect 3 this year still? Its been a long year, I thought it was last year for some reason.

Anyway, I 'guess' despite its massive f**k up, it was an excellent game for the first 96-99%, which is pretty good.

Other than that, I mean many things have come out, but nothing thats jumped at me as WOW, its definately just me though.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I'm still going with Mass effect 3. I played through half of AssCreed III and it doesn't feel like assassin's creed to me. I will still finish it, but it won't get GOTY. I don't care if it gets better later. If it's not fun for the first half it's not GoTY material.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
XCOM Enemy Unknown

It wins it for me because I've been playing it nonstop for three days. It's got the right balance of strategy and management, and a good atmosphere, backed with solid gameplay.

Dishonored would come second, but...

I honestly don't like it as much as I probably could. It's interesting, and they nailed the atmosphere perfectly, but it just didn't hook me the way I expected it to. It's good, but not as good as XCOM in my book.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
So apparently I received a warning for not adding to the discussion when I didn't need to say anything more then Spec Ops: The Line.

This is why I don't frequent forums much.