What is your GOTY so far?

felbot

May 11, 2011
borderlands, though i havent played many new games this year, hopefully ill actually play spec ops soon.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
It's a three-way tie for me. It's either FTL: Faster Than Light, Borderlands 2, or XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I just can't separate these three. Heart-wise, though? It's still Skyrim. I don't care if we're in 2012 going on 2013 - it's still Skyrim.

It's the Game That Keeps On Giving.

Honourable mentions go out to Mass Effect 3, Sleeping Dogs, Journey and Torchlight II.

The "Nice Job!" award goes out to Diablo III, and the "Thanks for Trying!" award goes out to Dishonoured.

The Cock-Tease of the Year is Bioshock Infinite.

Smogger

Nov 8, 2010
Well, of the games that I have played, I'm rather fond of Tales of Graces F and Growlanser: wayfarer of time. Of the games I have but not played, I have high hopes for Persona 4 Arena, Xenoblade, and The last story. I'm waiting on Virtue's Last Reward, but I LOVED 999 so I think it'll turn out fine. Can't think of much else at the moment.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
My money (even though I don't agree) is on Mass Effect 3.

Now me personally, I think it's either Borderlands 2 or Dishonored, but I'm sure AC3 is about to give them a huge run for their money.

Honorable mentions: Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, and X-Com.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure Mass Effect 3 and Dishonored are the only two games to come out this year that I've played.

So...Probably Mass Effect 3.

I mean to pick up Spec Ops: The Line at some point, though.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Guild Wars 2 - ten times as much time stuck into that game than any of these "blockbuster" wallet drainers.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
Based on most hours/fun, it's definitely Borderlands 2. ME3 is a very very close second, though. I don't think it came out in 2012, but the Binding of Isaac has eaten away at quite a bit of my gametime as well

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
havoc33 said:
w9496 said:
Mass Effect 3 for me. I've played Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil 6 and all that, but Mass Effect was just better all around. I liked the story(even the ending), the gameplay was a lot more smooth than the previous 2, and the multiplayer contributed rather than detract from the game.

As for runner-up, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with Binary Domain right now. Reminds me a lot of Gears of War in some ways.
Finally, someone who recognizes Binary Domain! Picked it up dirt cheap, and I loved every minute of it. It's not the GOTY, but highly underrated IMO.

Also, with all the talk about that BioWare has "lost it", and that ME3 was shit, there are remarkably high number of people that still picked it for game of the year. ;)
I know. It's a shame that it probably wont sell enough copies to warrant a sequel.

ME3 was actually my favorite of the trilogy. Sure the ending wasn't the greatest, but it doesn't negate how extremely awesome the other 99% of the game is.

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
I've gotta say Katawa Shoujo, best writing and characters I have ever seen in a game and made me cry like hell, the first game to elicit that much emotion from me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I gotta say, there were quiet a few disappointments this year. I haven't played Dishonored or BL2 yet, so I'd have to say it's a tie between Torchlight 2 and Mass Effect 3. ME3 would have won for sure if it didn't have so many glaring flaws :(

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Pretty much Mass Effect 3, hands-down for me. The extra resolution from the Extended Cut pushed it over the top.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Guild Wars 2

It's the only game I've played since it was released. I'm certain that I'll love X-Com and Dishonored when I get around to playing them.. but it might be a while.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
By default, it goes to Mass Effect 3. Rayman Origins is second place.
They're the only two console games I've bought this year. Everything else that I've bought/played are things from last year and before. There's also a lot of Free to Play stuff that I've disqualified because technically I never bought them.

There's no set criteria for GOTY besides coming out that year, I know, but I'm trying to choose one. I'm doing what I can to cut down on my choices and reduce the chances of being flamed.

On that note, Troll Pick is: Frontline Tactics. Came out 4 days ago, already logged 16 hours. It's a nice little TBS game, kind of like an indie XCOM. You can find me making sweet internet love to the game on the steam forums, chatting up the devs (They've really been vocal and visible, posting in damn near every thread asking for suggestions for improvement and thanking people for playing)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Spec Ops: The Line had awesome story, but gameplay was meh.
XCom:Enemy Unknown had awesome gameplay, but story was meh.
Can TES5:Skyrim still participate in this? No? Then I have I tie between those two.

mrscott137 said:
I've gotta say Katawa Shoujo, best writing and characters I have ever seen in a game and made me cry like hell, the first game to elicit that much emotion from me.
Katawa Shoujo was awesome, but name it best game of the year?
Isn't that a bit exaggerating?

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
I've played a lot of good games this year, but was anything great? I'm used to employing time spent as a figure by which to measure enjoyment, but with far less free time in more recent months, how do I tell now? I don't really trust my instincts anymore, but I guess The Walking Dead is my GOTY so far. Clementine is my character of the year, for sure though.

Pondering:

Spec Ops: The Line didn't affect me nearly as much as I thought it would. Maybe the (stupid, aggravating) part of me that just wants to be different for the sake of being different decided I would be unmoved by it; so I could be different to all the people who said they loved the story. The turning point everyone talks about just left me ambivalent. Was I repressing my emotions to disassociate myself with what happened?

Did I just shake it off as not my fault like MainSoldierGuy did? All I felt was a fleeting sense of annoyance that the game tricked me and then I never felt anything for it again. I finished the game, and did each ending too. Reading about it afterwards, e.g. Yahtzee's article on it, makes me think it was a really great story; I'm just left unaffected. Maybe my brain is trying to protect me through repression, haha.

Killspre

Aug 8, 2011
My GoTY at the moment is Dishonored, though tbh not many new games this year really caught my eye.