What is your Hype meter for Upcoming games?

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
I think I can voice everyone's opinions by simply crouching down, crossing my fingers, closing my eyes and repeating the words "Please don't suck" several times in succession till I think by some miracle the game in question won't suck. In which case this means everything that's gonna come out.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I'm looking forward to Underworld Ascendant and the new Toejam and Earl. Everything else is reading zero on the hype meter. My confidence the AAA industry can deliver on great games has been shattered so I expect the worst and allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if they come through with a decent game.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Dragonlayer said:
What happens when the unstoppable force of B-Cell's excitement for objectively perfect games means the immovable object of the modern Escapist's attitude of "Games? URGH they are all lame and sexist anyway"?
I'd like to say we'd get a movie as awesome as The Dark Knight, but B-cell is less Heath Ledger's Joker, and more Jim Carry's Riddler. Funny at the start, tedious by the end.
A movie as awesome as The Dark Knight, only without the awesome!? Alright, count me in!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Zero for all, but not because I believe they will suck, but because I've been burnt too many times when hyped for things. There is only so many times I can be optimistic to disappointed till it's not worth it anymore. Including, almost all my old favourite developers have gone down paths I never wanted to see.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
So after reading through 3 different release lists for this year my hype is a loud and resounding:
Yep there are definitely games coming out this year.

But lets go over the few games I feel something other than mild apathy for.

Jew Sex Mankind Divided.
I liked HR, at least until the last 10 minutes, so I guess I'm looking forward to this one.
Creeping behind people and breathing into their ear before knocking them out is always fun, even more so when doing it in a game.

Divinity Original Sin 2. This one is even more original than the first original sin (Seriously that title is dumb)
I guess during their KS campaign they said they wanted to release it in late 2016. But you know how this goes.
I fairly enjoyed the first one even though I stopped after 43 hours because I completely failed to see how anything I did helped me to catch the red witch.
OH OH and I'm still angry that they didn't let me execute the white witch as soon as I met her.
But yeah I'm slightly more optimistic towards this one because they've got MCA on the team now.

Torment: Tides of Numa Numa
It should come out this year. I'm pretty sure the beta is, but why would I want to play a beta for story driven game.
I'm pretty sure that I have the legal obligation to be hyped for this one, considering the amount of money I poured into it.

The Witcher 3: Wein, Weib und Gesang.
Well it is more Witcher 3 so I'm 100% on board.
And be it only because during my first playthrough I foolishly said that I wouldn't start a second one until all the DLC is out.
You could say I'm reasonably hyped for this one.

And then there is the only game where I'm 110% hyped for it's release. But not because I want to play it.

Mighty No. Nein
I can't wait until this game comes, crashes and burns.
I know it's not very nice to hope for something like this but after all the delays, promises that it won't be delayed anymore, more delays and related KS campaigns.
The prospect of it burning is just to funny.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
MysticSlayer said:
Given the recently "leaked" footage of 1666: Amsterdam, I'm already looking forward to more info on that game.
I have some more info but is is not exactly good one.
The German magazine Gamestar talked to the dude during Reboot Develop and he told them that he will have to throw out all the assets and textures because they are outdated.
So I fear you will have to wait a bit longer for information.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Depends on what definition of 'hyped' we're going with.

"Hyped", as in assuming they'll be the greatest thing ever? None, because I can't know if any of them will be good. I'll judge them when I play them.

"Hyped", as in looking forward to trying or playing? Yeah, sure. There are a few games coming this year.

And speaking of:

Doom - Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it. Bite me. I'm a long time fan of the Doom series, even 3, and I am looking forward to seeing what id has done this time 'round.

No Man's Sky - If it pulls off even half of what's promised, I'll be very satisfied. But, even then, that's a pretty lofty goal, so we'll see.

Titanfall 2 - Loved the hell out of the first one. Can't wait to see what Respawn has in store with the sequel, including finding out what the solo campaign mode is like and what sort of PvE modes they've added.

-the maybes-

Rainworld - It's a side-scrolling survival exploration game staring a 'Slugcat' as the player character, and features gameplay, art design, and atmospheric music heavily influenced by Super Metroid and Castlevania. What's not to love?

Routine - There's a slim chance this may hit this year, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I'm excited to see how it turns out. It looks like a really promising atmospheric horror game.

Beacon - No solid release date on this one but it could launch this year. It's basically an isometric rogue-like with an interesting twist on the standard formula. Whenever your character [footnote]A starship pilot who's crash landed on an alien world[/footnote] dies, she's 'respawned' in a cloning bay. The twist, however, is that she can be altered with each cloning by collecting alien DNA on your travels. These mutations can give her abilities that can aid in her journey to rebuild and activate a distress beacon.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hyper hype:

- Overwatch
- No Man's Sky
- Cyberpunk 2077

Huge hype:

- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Unreal Tournament
- Space Hulk: Deathwing

Big hype:

- Mafia 3
- Mass Effect: Andromeda
- System Shock 3 + 1 remake

Everything else falls under "somewhat interested/excited" or less. These days I mostly let myself get surprised by interesting indie games that suddenly catch my eye through coverage or by popping up in my Steam Queue.

Also, I only just realized that I haven't been this excited about this many shooters in years.
AccursedTheory said:
I could get an offer to have a three way with Jessica Alba and Christina Hendricks, and I'd be lessed hyped for that then you are about even your level 8 games.
Priorities, my friend. Priorities.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I don't hype anymore.

There are some games I'm interested to see how they turn out, like the new Deus Ex and Dishonored, but I approach everything with a "wait and see" attitude. I've learned to curb my enthousiasm. A hard learned lesson, I admit.

Hype is the path to the dark side.
Hype leads to disappointment.
Disappointment leads to anger.
Anger leads to suffering.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, games I'm actually looking forward to, though mayhaps not what Id use the word hype for, would be the new Pok?mon games at the end of the year, as well as the likely TES6 that Bethesda I can guarantee you are working on, even if it will be a couple years yet.

Also holding out for Dynasty Warriors 9 sooner than later, but maybe they will surprise us with a new Gundam game. Eiketsuden is more my brother's style than mine, but I will certainly give it a go.

Super curious if I will enjoy the new Star Fox game. I know its already out, likely will get it tomorrow. I hear a lot of bad from it, but also some good, and a lot of the negative responses have not swayed me with their reasons, and I need to play it myself before I decide.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Most of the games I've been wanting to purchase this year have already come out. I've purchased most of them and kind of have myself in a situation where I've got so many games I want to play but no time to play them. Luckily, the rest of the year looks to be fairly sparse in terms of games I want, but there are still a few I'm interested in picking up or receiving for Christmas.

Extremely Hyped For) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Kirby Planet Robobot
Scalebound (not coming out this year, but it was announced)

Very Hyped For) Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Hyped For) Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Pok?mon Sun or Moon Version (I don't know what version I'm getting yet)
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Rather Hyped For) 90's Arcade Racer
Gravity Rush 2 (I'm interested in this game, but I've yet to play the original, so my hype will likely alter after playing the first game).

I'm on the fence with these games and am waiting on further info) Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories
Paper Mario: Colour Splash

I think I could have thought up more games to add onto this list, but for now, this should do.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
High hype levels for:-
Final Fantasy 15
Pokemon sun and moon
Persona 5
Nioh
European release of guilty gear Xrd
Fire emblem conquest
Blood stained ritual of the night

Middling hype levels for:-
Mass Effect andromeda
Odin sphere remake
The complete version of dark souls 3
Deus ex mankind divided

The stuff I don't wan't at all:-
Overwatch (only due to it having no campaign)
Any call of duty

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I should had known it was a B-Cell post. You got me this time. Well done!

OT: From 1 to 10 (1 being "NOPE" and 10 being "OMFG I can't wait!")

Pokemon Sun and Moon: 7

Mass Effect: Andromeda, Doom and Final Fantasy 7 Remake: 6

Uncharted 4 and Mighty No. 9: 5

Almost everything else: 3

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Dragonlayer said:
Hawki said:
B-cell thread.

Hype Level: 0

Unintentional Humour Level: 10
What happens when the unstoppable force of B-Cell's excitement for objectively perfect games means the immovable object of the modern Escapist's attitude of "Games? URGH they are all lame and sexist anyway"?
Hey! Don't blame us for trying to be on the safe side:

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
The Modern game industry has caused me to become a cynic and Just wait to hear if a game is good from Word of mouth.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
For me it's all about the Jrpgs.

Final fantasy 15. 10
Persona 5. 9
Guilty gear xrd-revelator-. 8
Dark souls 3 ( havent played it yet). 7
Overwatch. 6
Doom. 5
Nioh. 4

I can't think about any others games

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Racing Games are my love but I don't feel anything for GT: Sports, which is coming out later this year. Why? Polyphony and Sony needs to pull something big out of their hats because you have smaller, less budgeted racing games pushing above their weight and just making GT look arcade.

Hype for that game is not there. Playing Project Cars at the moment and loving every bit of it. After that, Dirt Rally. I just don't have enough time to play both sadly. Damn job and life.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Captain Marvelous said:
Max Hype:

I'm still pretty hyped for Kingdom Hearts 3. I'm constantly googling the game for the latest news. On a completely unrelated note; I hate FFXV.

Pretty Excited:
The Nioh Alpha Demo is pretty fun, so I'm definitely looking forward to that game.

Uncharted 4 is also looking good. My uncles and cousin are absolutely hyped for that game and some of that hype may have rubbed off on me.

Can't wait to see more of Horizon Zero Dawn

I know it exists:
Overwatch
I just wanna say how much I love your hype meter.

For me:

Hyped:
N/A

Excited for:
World of Warcraft: Legion

I know it's coming:
FFXV

This year is looking pretty lame for me. I'm an RPG guy, with some notable exceptions on a few titles. But nothing coming out stands out to me as my pillar of hope.

The last game to do that was Dark Souls 3 and I was incredibly let down by it.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Things I'm looking forward to;

Pokemon Sun and Moon
Gears of War 4
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2

I have a passing interest in the new CoD.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
After Hyper Light Drifter, it kinda meh (below 6 or something).

Ok sure there are games I am looking forward to but unless I seen previews (Pokemon Sun and Moon) or an actual release date (Death's Gambit, Doko Roko and Starr Mazer), my hype meter ain't rising.

Oh yeah there also Fire Emblem: Fate coming to the UK this month but since I can't get my hand on the Limited Edition on release day, I can wait abit longer for it.