What is your 'pet' genre?

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Action-RPGs (Torchlight, Diablo II, Titan Quest)

I love getting sweet loot, using awesome responsive skills, levelling up (getting moar skills), and generally doing anything to make my mouse buttons suicidal.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
RPG. Or TBS (Turn Based Strategy).

I play a lot of both, but mostly RPGs. Still, I think I would refer to TBS as my Pet simply because RPGs are so prevalent (though not that many good ones) while TBS has been rather neglected over the years.

Funny thing about TBS is that the one BIG name franchise in the genre, I'm not too fond of. Sure Civ IV was fun for a while, but I just got really bored after the first two playthroughs. Stardock's Galactic Civilizations 2, on the other hand, I still play that. Sadly, Stardock's newest game, Elemental, failed to carry on the tradition.

Ah, the horrible effects of multiplayer.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
RPG's. It's a tie between JRPGs and the rest of them.

After that is RTS.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Action-Rpg's A favorite of mine being Knights of the old republic

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
TheEvilJester said:
RPG. I love seeing leveling up and progression like in Pokemon or Fable
Same for me as well, I also love getting new goodies to play around with and optimise my characters stats.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah my pet genres are FPS, RPG, Third person shooter, platformer, horror, puzzle, strategy, RTS, turn-based, MMO, adventure, family, simulation, sports, flying, racing.

Oh wait he said genre not genres didn't he, I think we are all doing it wrong.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Point-and-Click Adventure games. I grew up playing games like Freddie Fish, Putt Putt, Fatty Bear, Spy Fox, and Pajama Sam. Nowadays I play games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, Professor Layton, (and if I had a better stomach for survival horror, I would probably love games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra: Requiem.) Popular or not, Adventure is by far my pet genre.

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
RPG's, mainly strategy based RPG's like Fire Emblem and Disgaea, are basically my crack cocaine of gaming. Um, so yeah, thats my pet genre.

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Survival Horror is such a great genre, but it's a damn shame there's not a lot of them.

Also another great genre ....is hard to describe. I don't think it has a name yet.

But games like Yume Nikki and LSD: Dream Emulator.
Almost objective-less games where you just wander bizarre and eerie worlds with an ambient, creepy soundtrack.

I suggest you guys try those games out. It's a really nice break from all the shooters this generation.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Lately, I've really been into Survival Horror (Silent Hill, Condemned, Dead Space).

Although, the genre I play the most is FPS games.

I do have a soft spot for massive RPGs (Fallout, Elder Scrolls). I love leveling up and getting stronger, and also having an immense amount of things to do.

One thing that I love that is in Fallout 3 and Bioshock (even though Bioshock isn't an RPG) is little things you find that have nothing to do with the story, but add to the history of the area that you are exploring.

Things like finding the Super Mole Rat Meat experimentation area in the underground areas of the Capital Wasteland, or finding two dead bodies in a crashed Bathysphere and an audio recording explaining their fate, while exploring the ocean around Rapture.

Back on topic (I got really off topic there heh heh), I guess I don't really have a "pet" genre.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Either the large open world non-linear RPG's Bethesda's famous for (if they're in a genre of their own), or single player Action Adventure titles like Uncharted or God of War. Those would be where most of my favourite individual games belong anyway.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Anything with a heavy base of story, which is usually RPG.
Games like The World Ends With You, Phoenix Wright... love 'em.