What is your 'pet' genre?

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Cogwheel said:
A real pet genre, though? Bullet hell. Mildly obscure, but I'll play most of the ones I come across. Which doesn't mean much in practice, since I can't acquire many games of the sort.
I was hoping to be the first to call it, but hey, I'm not alone in this I guess. I love me some Bullet Hell. So pretty, and yet so intense.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Normally, I would have said survival horror, but this genre quite literally doesn't exist anymore. Maybe only in parts. There are no more games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Dino Crisis.. or there are so few.

So I'd have to go with RPGs, of the vast free-roam variety. Bethesda's games or Bioware's games for great story and really strong characters.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Strategy games. My first video game ever was Civilization II, and I always come back to the genre whenever I need a refresher.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
RPG's most likely, that's where most of my playtime goes into but I have nothing against other genres as long as the game is good.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Either Survival Horror, Beat 'em Ups or Hack 'n' Slash.

I've loved Survival Horrors since I played games like Clock Tower and Eternal Darkness, but as soon as I first played Silent Hill I fell in love.

As for the slashers, I played Devil May Cry and haven't really stopped loving the freedom to pull off seriously awesome combos, it's the same reason I love Beat 'em Ups; I love picking a character that works for me, learning all their moves and combos and then kicking ass. I don't do it online very often though, it's so much more fun when the person is sitting right next to you and you can laugh in their face, it reminds me of the old days when me and my brother played Mortal Kombat together and he would ban me from using Scorpion.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Detective games.

I somehow never grew out of those. It's just too bad that they barely make them these days anymore.

Wildcard5

Jun 27, 2010
RPGs and Sandbox games. I love wide open worlds that are just ripe for exploration.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
hopeneverdies said:
Cogwheel said:
A real pet genre, though? Bullet hell. Mildly obscure, but I'll play most of the ones I come across. Which doesn't mean much in practice, since I can't acquire many games of the sort.
I was hoping to be the first to call it, but hey, I'm not alone in this I guess. I love me some Bullet Hell. So pretty, and yet so intense.
Gets the whole More Dakka thing taken care of, certainly. Pity I'm no good at it.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Fighting games (Mostly Street fighter although I do try others from time to time) and RPGs (Although I usually start them and never seem to actually seem to complete them)

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
Fps and rpgs. I love to play good rpgs and fps, even though there are probably only 3 games i enjoy from both those genres.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
4X games, in space.
.. like Master of Orion, Space Empires, Sins of a solar empire, etc.