What is your "That Book"?

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The Rangers Apprentice series is just fantastically written and I love it.

Following that is a new series for me called the Chronicles of Siala (god I want book 3 already!). The goblin Kli Kli just cracks me up and the main protagonist is so relatable.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
John Ajvide Lindqvist's books, mostly his book "Let The Right One in" and the books by Max Brooks, "World War Z" and "The Zombie Survival Guide".

fessferenc

Apr 17, 2009
The necroscope books by brian lumley, but specifically book 5, deadspawn. Such wonderfully messed up stuff that for some reason i find fascinating.

DoctorFrankenStein

Jul 4, 2011
spartan231490 said:
DoctorFrankenStein said:
Obviously the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. 'Reaper Man' in particular. It holds my record for most times re-read. [18]
But also Tim Dorsey's crazy books about Serge the ADHD serial killer who only takes out jerks. Start with "Florida Roadkill" and be prepared to end up reading the whole series.
And this little series of gems by Charles Grant- the Black Oak detective agency. Think X-Files back when it was really good. There are only five books, each with great atmosphere and memorable monsters, the first is called 'Genesis'. They're a little hard to find [OOP] but Amazon usually has a couple of each if you look them up directly instead of by the authors name.
You can thank me later. ;)
Holy damn! 18 rereads. I've never even reread a book that many ti . . . actually I might have reread The Fifth Ring that many times, too long ago to remember. Admittedly, I would have reread the Sword of Truth series that many times if it wasn't so long. I Think I'm gonna start reread number 9 once I finish with A Song of Ice and Fire.
It's no big deal, I read really quickly. A good 200 page novel takes me 4-5 hours to read. Less if I've read it before. :)

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
DJDarque said:
The Dresden Files. I could read them all day, every day. ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
Do they get better? I really liked them at first but I am at book 10 right now and I am starting to find it tiresome. It seems like he pushes it way too often to include combat scenes every 30 pages. It is also starting to become a bit formulaic and the character shields are starting to grind on me too.
I do want to keep reading them though, just wondering if he breaks out of the rut he seems to have gotten in.
On topic, Romance of Three Kingdoms. I have read it like 5 times.

Minjoltr

Aug 6, 2008
Red Dwarf. It's not particularly good but I enjoy it. It's a sort of security blanket book which I take on trips abroad just to keep a little bit of a familiar world with me.

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
I like the dark tower series from stephen King maybe along with the LotR trilogy.

The tower is just so full packed with..well everything that I think you actually need to read it twice to get most of it, seeing how Stephen King loves to throw you off with flashbacks and visions it just completes the experience.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
DJDarque said:
Do they get better? I really liked them at first but I am at book 10 right now and I am starting to find it tiresome. It seems like he pushes it way too often to include combat scenes every 30 pages. It is also starting to become a bit formulaic and the character shields are starting to grind on me too.
I do want to keep reading them though, just wondering if he breaks out of the rut he seems to have gotten in.
Eh. You probably wouldn't find the newer ones much better. Almost the entire final third of Changes is a giant battle scene.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Mephisto, by Klaus Mann and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I just love both of their narratives, such skilled writers! Also J.D. Sallinger's Catcher in the Rye, and I know I am gonna sound like a complete fanboy twat here when I mention this, but I also really like Yahtzee's book Mogworld. It's hilarious! Just finnished reading it just recently, so it just popped-up in my mind xD

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, Christopher Marlowe's adaptation of Dr Faust. I know it's a play, rather than a literary piece, but it's just so well written and easy to read, I had to read it at least twice! (And I am talking about the 1604 text)

Camarii

Jul 1, 2011
I've made a habbit or rereadng everything I like... but there is some special ones I can't get enough of (impossible to say just one) so here we go:
The Dragonlance and the Death Gate series by Margareth Weis and Tracy Hickman
Ink Exchange by Marissa Marr
The Amazing Maurice and his educated roddents by Terry Pratchett
The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by (duh) Douglas Adams
and the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy. Something about that sarcastic demon just really rubs me the right way...
I just finished reading them through again! I'd forgotten how good they were! The little footnotes he gives get me every time!

OT. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. One of the best books I have ever read, that manages to take a sensitive topic and treat it with the right amount of reverence and mockery to create a perfect blend of humour and thoughtfulness.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I have a lot but two from the top of my head are the Bartimaeus trilogy or the Earthborn wars.
I advise you read them among a few dozen others of my favorites. :)

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
DJDarque said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
DJDarque said:
Eh. You probably wouldn't find the newer ones much better. Almost the entire final third of Changes is a giant battle scene.
That sucks. I really like the setting of the books and a lot of the characters. I just prefer the detective aspects more so than the action hero aspects.