What is your "That Book"?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
4173 said:
Starship Troopers

I find a lot of his stuff really re-readable tbh.
First page and I find my favourite book. I'll just keep reading until I find more juicy details on the power armour.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson. Specifically, the third book in the series, Memories of Ice.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Generation Kill, by Evan Wright. The writing is brilliant and powerful, and it doesn't hide from the facts, or moralise, as a lot of war memoirs do.

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
For a series of books, it would have to be Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld. However, the book in my collection that I pick up from time to time and read cover to cover in one sitting has to be Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's dark, incredibly witty and based around the end of the world.

One can't help but think it inspired Dogma a little

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
Doesn't anyone else know about the Edge Chronicles. I have never met anyone else other than my sister who does yet they are the best books I've ever read.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Earth Abides by George R. Stuart , Death or Glory by Sandy Mitchell, The Discworld series and Vox from the edge chronicles, can't remember who wrote them though.

thewinner194

Nov 26, 2010
Trapped in Death Cave. It's this extremely pulpy book I loved back in elementary school and still love now about a kid who's grandfather gets murdered, causing him to go on a hunt for cursed Indian gold with his friend and an old lady who can hotwire motorcycles. Also, there's a cave with snakes that literally come out of the walls. It's pretty great.

ho Huios tes Moiras

Aug 24, 2010
I feel it's not cheating to put a series on here instead of a single book (most really well-written series are like one really long book anyway), but I have so many books in my inventory that I really can't even limit myself to just one series. The first five or six Honor Harrington books (up to In Enemy Hands which is the last really good one) by David Weber; C. S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series, on which they were vaguely based; both The Enchanted Forest Chronicles and the Lyra series by Patricia C. Wrede; Blitzcat by Robert Westall (that'll probably be the only thing with no relationship to fantasy and sci fi on my list); and a couple of books none of you have probably heard of: Emerald House Rising by Peg Kerr and Count Scar by C. Dale Brittain (yes, you heard me, Count Scar, not the Yurt series, however much I may love it!).

Quite frankly, if I went and looked at my bookshelf, I would probably find even more books that I can just pick up and spend a lovely Sunday afternoon with, no matter how many times I've read them before. It may sound cliché, but many of them are my old friends, some of which I had to make a special effort to seek out when I grew up and moved out on my own, away from my childhood library. Given that I always read at a level significantly higher than my grade level, even relatively dense things like Larry Niven, Anne Rice, and Stephen King are included in those pleasant childhood memories.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
The City of Dreaming Books.

My absolute favourite. I read it yesterday in a sitting, I laughed, I cried (at the end)...

It's a glorious work of fiction, especially if you've read Moers' previous two works, and one that comes from me with the highest recommendation.

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. I also like the other books of the series (especially the King of Attolia)

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Jaso11111 said:
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
Artemis Fowl (the way you actually write it, I'm still confused as to why you wrote it that way... Same with Eoin Colfer) is my anti-"that book", if that counts. I read the first one and it was so disjointed and ridiculous that I really wasn't bohtered.

Well, considering "Bright's Passage" by Josh Ritter has only been out a little over a month and I've read it twice already, I have a good feeling it's gonna start being that.

Other books are "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis, and "The Lord of the Rings" series by Tolkien, and also "The Hobbit".

Jaso11111

Sep 22, 2010
Vidi Kitty said:
Jaso11111 said:
You know that book you just keep guming back. That book that just hits the spot for you.
It dosent have to be just one book, it can be a series if you want.
For me its the Artemys Faoul series (yes thats not how you write it) from Ouen Kolfer! Its just something about elfs with jetpacks and laser guns that just does it for me ;)
I see the title, click with interest, and have a sudden wave of the best nostalgia when I read Artemis Fowl. Amazing books, though I have only read the first 2. Thank you very much for reminding me of this series, off to buy the next few first thing tomorrow.

In return, you should check out His Majesties Dragon by Naomi Novik. Basic rundown:England during the Napoleonic Wars... with fucking dragons. Its totally played straight, the dragons are intelligent and their own characters, the action bits are tense and exhilarating, and I just love these books.
I found His Majesties Dragon on a bookstore once but it dint spark my interest, cause dragons are like the zobmies of books AKA way overused!!
But now its sounds prety interesting, il give it a look!

Jaso11111

Sep 22, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Jaso11111 said:
Artemis Fowl (the way you actually write it, I'm still confused as to why you wrote it that way... Same with Eoin Colfer) is my anti-"that book", if that counts. I read the first one and it was so disjointed and ridiculous that I really wasn't bohtered.

Well, considering "Bright's Passage" by Josh Ritter has only been out a little over a month and I've read it twice already, I have a good feeling it's gonna start being that.

Other books are "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis, and "The Lord of the Rings" series by Tolkien, and also "The Hobbit".
Thanks i have fix the names now.