What makes the Empire in Star Wars evil?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Whoaboy it looks like this topic has been thoroughly and utterly answered.

There was nothing fair or just about the Empire. The only thing it had going for itself, which made it better then the Republic was that it was more efficient. The problem with the Republic was that it had become a stagnant bureaucratic beast, where nothing could be achieved without first having to go through a lengthy and exhausting debate.

Just take this picture into consideration:

Now, let's first acknowledge the fact that this is a shot of one side of the room, at a downward angle. There were more seats above the frame and many, many more behind it. Every single one of those seats houses a representative of a planet, each and every one of those representatives has their own idea on how the galaxy should be run. And every time a new planet joined the Republic, another chair got added.

What Lucas was trying to tell us, in Episode 1, was that the senate had turned into such an unmanageable mess that they couldn't even resolve a full blown invasion on one of their member planets, in a speedy fashion. The reason: The member planet responsible for said invasion vetoed against it.

Just imagine how difficult it would be to push for a controversial law that would benefit roughly 75% of all those planets, but be negative for the remaining 25%

At any rate, the empire was a human centric, racist, totalitarian military dictatorship and there's relatively little good that can be said about it. I think this quote answers it best, regarding the question of whether or not the Empire could be considered democratic:

"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever ... The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."
~Governor Tarkin

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
GTwander said:
Aris Khandr said:
Alderaan was not destroyed because the Rebels were hiding there. It was merely a demonstration to keep the other systems in line. That would be like the US blowing up all of France, just to intimidate Somalia.
I like how everyone is using the US is their examples here...
We nuke a couple Japanese cities, torture some civilians and assassinate dictators we put in power, and all of a sudden WE'RE the bad guys.
Hahaha. Sir, you win the internet today.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Kunzer said:
Regardless, I feel that the main reason so many people sympathize with the rebels is because they were portrayed as the losing side throughout most of the movie-portrayed conflicts; at least until episode 6, anyway.
We sympathize with them because they're the losing side?
So people would suddenly root for Hitler when they're watching Der Untergang?

Really, if you want to see this kind of ethic dilemma done in a more complex fashion, look at the "Universal Century" universe from "Mobile Suit Gundam".

On the one side, we have the Earth Federation, a corrupt and inept government that lets lowerclass space colonists (spacenoids) regularly live in squalid conditions while denying them the political representation to change their situation. This is who our heroes are fighting for.
On the other side, we have the Principality of Zeon. They not only reject the Earthlings' "right" to exploit the space colonies, they believe that the next stage of human evolution can only be reached through life in space (and they are right, as proven by the appearance of so-called "Newtypes", humans with exceptional spatial awareness and telepathic/empathic powers), and therefore demand that humanity go into a diaspora in space, leaving the Earth they regard as sacred to heal itself. Of course, by the time the show starts, their originally noble goals have become progressively corrupted during the reign of two increasingly extremist leaders. In fact, the current leader of Zeon is dubbed "a copy of Hitler" by his own father, literally killing billions by flooding Federation-loyal colonies with chemical weapons and dropping one of them onto earth, where it causes a global cataclysm similar to an extinction-level asteroid impact.
However, despite Zeon's technological advantage, they get defeated time and time again by the Federation's greater numbers and the actions of a few "super prototype" Gundam-type mobile suits.
Now, everytime Zeon loses, we are still stuck with the injustices that created them in the first place; in fact, in the follow-up show "Zeta Gundam" (set 8 years later), the Federation's regular space forces have been superseeded by the Titans, an organization that obviously models their tactics on those formerly employed by Zeon (including the suppression of widespread protests in a colony by simply killing every man, woman and child in it by flooding it with nerve gas).

Personally, I find that to be a much better "shades of grey" morality than Star Wars has.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
KingHodor said:
Kunzer said:
Regardless, I feel that the main reason so many people sympathize with the rebels is because they were portrayed as the losing side throughout most of the movie-portrayed conflicts; at least until episode 6, anyway.
We sympathize with them because they're the losing side?
So people would suddenly root for Hitler when they're watching Der Untergang?
Is it bad if I admit that I started feeling a little sorry for him, as I was watching that film?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Owen Robertson said:
Matt King said:
umm giant death weapon? blowing up of planets? destroying the jedi order?
The Jedi Order had become a politically motivated army. It was compromised. It was going down anyway.
It was manipulated into that position by Palpatine. There is a blink and you'll miss it moment in an episode of The Clone Wars that shows a Palpatine Propaganda Hologram subtly spreading anti Jedi Sentiment. He was playing the public against them, and then forcing crises that would further discredit the Jedi.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
Actually it's called devils advocate and it's fun.
Any Empire building is for the purpose of peace. If everyone is under the same flag there is no violence. Period. No one has succeeded at that yet (well the Romans came close), but it is still the ultimate goal. Denying that is just naive.
"There will be no escape for the princess this time". Vader had been after the Rebellion for a while. Who knew what other innocent victims the Rebels had? He was plenty pissed off by that point, we can only guess as to why. It's outside of the scope of the movies as to what Darth Vader was like before dealing with the Rebellion.
As for the rebate that was a joke. But seriously once the Rebellion was out of the way and there was peace in the galaxy again, why wouldn't Palpatine be more magnanimous? You assume he wouldn't, but without any evidence to back that up. That's like if R2-D2 screwed one more info socket he would go on a rampage and detonate his astromech-destroy-the-galaxy-device and that would be it for everyone. I can make half-assed assumptions too.
I also like how people jump on the "slavery" (which the Empire wasn't involved in during the original trilogy or the prequels) and "torture" (it was a droid with a syringe, probably not as horrific as what constitutes torture in our world) aspects. People love embellishing those things without any actual basis. The Hutts had slaves but the Empire and the Hutts weren't exactly on the same page. For all we know once the Rebellion was out of the way the Empire may have had the resources to take down the Hutts and free all of those slaves. We'll never know now.
And doesn't anyone remember that good guys wear white? Those stormtroopers believed that they were the good guys and they were out there to enforce law and order. And TIE Pilots were camouflaged in case they got ejected into space ;)
"Any Empire building is for the purpose of peace. If everyone is under the same flag there is no violence. Period. No one has succeeded at that yet (well the Romans came close), but it is still the ultimate goal. Denying that is just naive. " And you call others naive, You have a very strange idea of how things work, I'd have thought that even the most basic of history classes would have proved this point wrong for you, if uniting under one flag made everyone happy, the rebels would have never shown up (they only did after the emperor was in power for some time), and we would never have things like "civil wars".

Actually there's two things wrong with this statement: "Any Empire building is for the purpose of peace." Not true at all, many empires in the past were built to control and destroy all knowledge/history of the previous culture before they overtook them, as well as bend everyone to your way of thinking (which in this case encouraged murder as an easy promotion).

""There will be no escape for the princess this time". Vader had been after the Rebellion for a while. Who knew what other innocent victims the Rebels had?" I'm sorry but I just don't understand this, the rebels had innocent victims? Where, when, and what gave you that idea?
Vader was after the rebels for a while, I mentioned that already, but I also pointed out he didn't take them seriously as a threat, until they stole the death star plans, also, the death star took some years to build, they had to start the planning of it FAR before the rebels were even formed.

I've been ignoring the prequels, but there's a reason Vader has his reputation, he didn't just get it when the rebels appeared, and again, he never took them seriously until that point, and why should he? it's not like they've been foiling him like a cartoon villain for a while, they were a bug and the empire was a boot, hell, if they didn't build any death stars and just went with star destroyers the rebellion would have been over in the first movie.

"As for the rebate that was a joke. But seriously once the Rebellion was out of the way and there was peace in the galaxy again, why wouldn't Palpatine be more magnanimous? You assume he wouldn't, but without any evidence to back that up." I have quite a bit of evidence to back this up, aside from encouraging murder and placing everything under martial law, Palpatine has expressed his desire to expand the empire, pushing farther and farther, for that, he'll need troops, officers, ships, he's not going to be content with what he has because he always wants something better (see why he chooses Luke over Vader because Luke was slightly stronger), and again, as part of his expansion and tightening his stranglehold over the galaxy he was building the death star before there was ever a time when he could use it.

I also want to touch on a minor point, for a little fun, after the original trilogy came out, they released a book called something like "the making of star wars", and the book was a mocumentary, taking everything seriously, in the book they'd point things out like how Vader's respiratory system works, how lightsabers work, why storm trooper thermal detonators have no markings, and also just how cruel the torture droid was, it's far more than just a bot with a syringe, essentially it was director's commentary in book form because it had all of their ideas (with notes) while they made the movie.

Another minor point: "And doesn't anyone remember that good guys wear white? Those stormtroopers believed that they were the good guys and they were out there to enforce law and order. And TIE Pilots were camouflaged in case they got ejected into space ;)"
Star wars doesn't just take western influences, and I'm going to use this to my advantage because in Japan the colour white means death. The TIE stuff was clever though.
Also, just because a group believes they're the good guy's doesn't actually mean they are, if you really want to go with white equals good, then all I have to do is point you at the Emperor and Vader.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Warachia said:
Nimzabaat said:
"Any Empire building is for the purpose of peace. If everyone is under the same flag there is no violence. Period. No one has succeeded at that yet (well the Romans came close), but it is still the ultimate goal. Denying that is just naive. " And you call others naive, You have a very strange idea of how things work, I'd have thought that even the most basic of history classes would have proved this point wrong for you, if uniting under one flag made everyone happy, the rebels would have never shown up (they only did after the emperor was in power for some time), and we would never have things like "civil wars".

Actually there's two things wrong with this statement: "Any Empire building is for the purpose of peace." Not true at all, many empires in the past were built to control and destroy all knowledge/history of the previous culture before they overtook them, as well as bend everyone to your way of thinking (which in this case encouraged murder as an easy promotion).

""There will be no escape for the princess this time". Vader had been after the Rebellion for a while. Who knew what other innocent victims the Rebels had?" I'm sorry but I just don't understand this, the rebels had innocent victims? Where, when, and what gave you that idea?
Vader was after the rebels for a while, I mentioned that already, but I also pointed out he didn't take them seriously as a threat, until they stole the death star plans, also, the death star took some years to build, they had to start the planning of it FAR before the rebels were even formed.

I've been ignoring the prequels, but there's a reason Vader has his reputation, he didn't just get it when the rebels appeared, and again, he never took them seriously until that point, and why should he? it's not like they've been foiling him like a cartoon villain for a while, they were a bug and the empire was a boot, hell, if they didn't build any death stars and just went with star destroyers the rebellion would have been over in the first movie.

"As for the rebate that was a joke. But seriously once the Rebellion was out of the way and there was peace in the galaxy again, why wouldn't Palpatine be more magnanimous? You assume he wouldn't, but without any evidence to back that up." I have quite a bit of evidence to back this up, aside from encouraging murder and placing everything under martial law, Palpatine has expressed his desire to expand the empire, pushing farther and farther, for that, he'll need troops, officers, ships, he's not going to be content with what he has because he always wants something better (see why he chooses Luke over Vader because Luke was slightly stronger), and again, as part of his expansion and tightening his stranglehold over the galaxy he was building the death star before there was ever a time when he could use it.

I also want to touch on a minor point, for a little fun, after the original trilogy came out, they released a book called something like "the making of star wars", and the book was a mocumentary, taking everything seriously, in the book they'd point things out like how Vader's respiratory system works, how lightsabers work, why storm trooper thermal detonators have no markings, and also just how cruel the torture droid was, it's far more than just a bot with a syringe, essentially it was director's commentary in book form because it had all of their ideas (with notes) while they made the movie.

Another minor point: "And doesn't anyone remember that good guys wear white? Those stormtroopers believed that they were the good guys and they were out there to enforce law and order. And TIE Pilots were camouflaged in case they got ejected into space ;)"
Star wars doesn't just take western influences, and I'm going to use this to my advantage because in Japan the colour white means death. The TIE stuff was clever though.
Also, just because a group believes they're the good guy's doesn't actually mean they are, if you really want to go with white equals good, then all I have to do is point you at the Emperor and Vader.
Your reply is a bit of a mess. Next time can you quote properly so people know who said what?

Once again though you're fighting with material from the EU which is NOT canon. If it wasn't in the original trilogy (most Star Wars fans treat the prequels as non-canon, but that's another conversation) it didn't happen.

Anyways, the goal of an all encompassing empire is to have everyone under the same flag. It has never worked because humans defy the quest for peace and any sort of common sense. We have applied that same lack of reason to the aliens in the Star Wars galaxy just because if they were advanced it makes for a crappy story. "Everyone is happy and nothing interesting happens, the end."

You may have a point with the Emperor wanting to expand though. If he got the rest of the galaxy under his control he could do away with slavery and poverty. Maybe that was the plan before some a-hole murdered him? Who can say?

As for "tightening his grip" (um in context please), that was from the perspective of a rebel and a habitual liar. Seeing as the trilogy never touches on any of the core Imperial planets, who is to say what the life of the common citizen was like? The scenes of people killing stormtroopers and tearing down statues of the Emperor were thrown in there afterwards and can be taken just as seriously as Han shooting second.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
(most Star Wars fans treat the prequels as non-canon, but that's another conversation)
Wait, what?
A lot of fans might not like the prequels, but to completely disregard a trilogy of movies that were, after all, made by the universe's creator himself, seems a bit extreme.

Plus, what actually counts as a Star Wars fan? What about all the kids born after 1990 that treat the prequel trilogy as part of their childhood, and therefore actually like it, do they count?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
KingHodor said:
Nimzabaat said:
(most Star Wars fans treat the prequels as non-canon, but that's another conversation)
Wait, what?
A lot of fans might not like the prequels, but to completely disregard a trilogy of movies that were, after all, made by the universe's creator himself, seems a bit extreme.

Plus, what actually counts as a Star Wars fan? What about all the kids born after 1990 that treat the prequel trilogy as part of their childhood, and therefore actually like it, do they count?
The prequels break continuity with the rest of the Star Wars universe. Obi-wan doesn't meet Anakin when he's a fighter pilot in the Clone Wars, Luke and Leia's mother doesn't live on Alderaan with Leia. Yoda is not portrayed as a teacher but more of a badass lightsaber fighter which is completely out of character (funny and awesome to see, but that's not the original trilogy Yoda at all). Not to mention the huge plot holes between the two series. Let's hide one of Darth Vader's kids on his home planet with his only surviving family? Hiding something in the first place he'd look for it? Genius! (The original story had Obi-Wan hiding Luke from Vader and the Emperor with some hicks, who we wasn't related to, in a far "corner" of the galaxy.)

Another point that people miss a lot is that it is never actually stated that the Empire had anything to do with Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru's death. That could have been a coincidence that Obi-Wan said nothing about to fuel Luke's anger towards the Empire. Tatooine is a dangerous place after all. For all we know Obi-Wan killed them himself while Luke was unconscious. Remember that the Jedi were all about lying and double dealing. They also had no real compassion or humanity about them when it came to achieving their goals. While the Sith were more about honesty "I am your father", "There's a Sith in charge of the Senate" (okay that's prequel bs, my bad).

Another point that people miss is that Alderaan had "millions" of people. Not tens of millions, not hundreds of millions, and not billions. It was a sparsely populated planet and therefore an effective demonstration of being able to blow up a planet while keeping actual loss of life to a minimum. Just something to think about.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'm kind of late on the scene here, but I'm just amused by how wrong the OP was.

Democratic - As mentioned, the Senate is permanently dismissed shortly before the beginning of A New Hope. It's mentioned in the film. Many sectors are now ruled directly by Imperial pointed military governors, or Moffs (see Grand Moff Tarkin in the films) and it is clearly the ultimate plan for the Empire that all sectors will be under direct military rule.

Republic - A nation with an Emperor as its sovereign is not a Republic. Emperor is a monarchical title, so a nation ruled by an Emperor is a monarchy. If the Emperor has limited powers, like the Japanese Emperor today for example, it is a constitutional monarchy. This is not true in Star Wars, Palpatine clearly wields supreme political power in his Empire. Other ranks in the Empire are also clearly equivalent to feudal or noble ranks.

Peace - Galactic civil war, anyone?

Alderran - They blew up Alderran to try and get Leia to reveal the location of the rebel base, and because Tarkin wanted to test his new toy. While it's true that Alderran politically opposed the Empire, it was not a military target. Tarkin even points this out during the scene.

Freedom to Express Emotion - Which emotion? If we're excluding the prequels, what do we actually know about this? Luke is a light side Jedi and he still shows a full range of emotions (to the extent of Mark Hamill's then limited acting ability) including anger, it's just that he then learns to grow the fuck up. Heck, even after everything Vader has done he still feels compassion for his father and that's what ends up saving the whole galaxy. So who really has "freedom to express emotion" here? Is it really the two people who will kill each other if either shows a trace of weakness?

Heck, in the expanded universe things like the prohibition on Jedi falling in love and getting married seem to be pretty much out of the window in the New Republic, though we'll have to see how badly Disney rapes everything to get an idea of how that will look on film.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
KingHodor said:
Nimzabaat said:
Wait, what?

The prequels break continuity with the rest of the Star Wars universe. Obi-wan doesn't meet Anakin when he's a fighter pilot in the Clone Wars
Obi-Wan just states that Luke's father was the galaxy's best starfighter pilot during the Clone Wars, not that this was when he met him.

Luke and Leia's mother doesn't live on Alderaan with Leia.
When do they say that?

Yoda is not portrayed as a teacher but more of a badass lightsaber fighter which is completely out of character
Most of the time we see him in the prequels he's being on the Jedi council, training younglings, discussing matters with Mace or Obi-Wan or counseling Anakin when he's troubled. Sure he has to fight (there being a war and all), but he's not proud of it. Think Mr Miyagi from The Karate Kid - wise teacher, but also capable of being a badass fighter if necessary.
Also, keep in mind that Yoda's lived for 900 years, and he probably did more fighting during the Clone Wars than in a whole "normal" century.

Not to mention the huge plot holes between the two series. Let's hide one of Darth Vader's kids on his home planet with his only surviving family? Hiding something in the first place he'd look for it? Genius! (The original story had Obi-Wan hiding Luke from Vader and the Emperor with some hicks, who we wasn't related to, in a far "corner" of the galaxy.)
Again, when is that stated? When Obi-Wan tells Luke about his father, he informs him that his uncle had been lying to him, but he doesn't say anything about Owen not being his uncle (nor does the script). Yes, it is a plothole, but one that was present in the original trilogy.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
KingHodor said:
Nimzabaat said:
KingHodor said:
Nimzabaat said:
Wait, what?

The prequels break continuity with the rest of the Star Wars universe. Obi-wan doesn't meet Anakin when he's a fighter pilot in the Clone Wars
Obi-Wan just states that Luke's father was the galaxy's best starfighter pilot during the Clone Wars, not that this was when he met him.

Luke and Leia's mother doesn't live on Alderaan with Leia.
When do they say that?

Yoda is not portrayed as a teacher but more of a badass lightsaber fighter which is completely out of character
Most of the time we see him in the prequels he's being on the Jedi council, training younglings, discussing matters with Mace or Obi-Wan or counseling Anakin when he's troubled. Sure he has to fight (there being a war and all), but he's not proud of it. Think Mr Miyagi from The Karate Kid - wise teacher, but also capable of being a badass fighter if necessary.
Also, keep in mind that Yoda's lived for 900 years, and he probably did more fighting during the Clone Wars than in a whole "normal" century.

Not to mention the huge plot holes between the two series. Let's hide one of Darth Vader's kids on his home planet with his only surviving family? Hiding something in the first place he'd look for it? Genius! (The original story had Obi-Wan hiding Luke from Vader and the Emperor with some hicks, who we wasn't related to, in a far "corner" of the galaxy.)
Again, when is that stated? When Obi-Wan tells Luke about his father, he informs him that his uncle had been lying to him, but he doesn't say anything about Owen not being his uncle (nor does the script). Yes, it is a plothole, but one that was present in the original trilogy.
When Obi-Wan talks about Luke's father in a New Hope we was already a great fighter pilot before becoming a Jedi. Anakin was never just a fighter pilot.

In the original trilogy it is reasonable to assume that Luke has been hidden from his father in a remote location. That makes sense. In the prequels it suddenly becomes Darth Vader's home planet and thus stops making any kind of sense. Unless Darth Vader is believed to be so inept that the most obvious place to hide something from him is the last place he would look. In that case, why not just enlist Luke in the Imperial Military? Ha Ha! Vader would never suspect that his best TIE pilot was his son!

Luke and Leia discuss their mother in Return of the Jedi. Leia has memories of her mother indicating that their mother didn't die in childbirth. That was actually kind of a shocker in the prequels because you knew Padme lived to see Leia at least for a while. It had been established in canon. Then oops! Retroactive continuity! (I HATE retroactive continuity, it's the stupidest and laziest form of story-telling. Basically the author can't be bothered to remember things he's written).

Um yeah i'm a bit of a Star Wars fan :)

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
When Obi-Wan talks about Luke's father in a New Hope we was already a great fighter pilot before becoming a Jedi. Anakin was never just a fighter pilot.
Straight from the script:
LUKE: You fought in the Clone Wars?
BEN: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.
LUKE: I wish I'd known him.
BEN: He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.
I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a
good friend.

Nothing here about Anakin being a pilot before he became a Jedi ("Jedi" and "star pilot" aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, the force powers of a Jedi pretty much automatically make one an ace pilot). Also, technically Anakin was a great star pilot before he became a Jedi in the prequels - he ensured the victory of the tiny Naboo starfighter corps over a droid control ship twice the size of a Star Destroyer before being taken as a pupil by Obi-Wan.

In the original trilogy it is reasonable to assume that Luke has been hidden from his father in a remote location. That makes sense. In the prequels it suddenly becomes Darth Vader's home planet and thus stops making any kind of sense. Unless Darth Vader is believed to be so inept that the most obvious place to hide something from him is the last place he would look. In that case, why not just enlist Luke in the Imperial Military? Ha Ha! Vader would never suspect that his best TIE pilot was his son!
It was reasonable to assume, yes, but it was never explicitly stated. If George Lucas can write plotholes in the 90s, why couldn't those plotholes have existed in the 70s, and the fans just gave him the benefit of the doubt?
I mean, it was also pretty stupid of Obi-Wan Kenobi to keep his last name in the hopes that he would only be found by the good guys instead of only telling Bail, Owen and Yoda about his completely new name.

Luke and Leia discuss their mother in Return of the Jedi. Leia has memories of her mother indicating that their mother didn't die in childbirth. That was actually kind of a shocker in the prequels because you knew Padme lived to see Leia at least for a while. It had been established in canon. Then oops! Retroactive continuity! (I HATE retroactive continuity, it's the stupidest and laziest form of story-telling. Basically the author can't be bothered to remember things he's written).
Ok, I'll give you that one - yes, we can handwave the whole thing and tell ourselves that she can remember things that happened on her 0th birthday because she's force-sensitive (or can maybe see into the past as well as the future), but yeah, in all likelihood Lucas just forgot about that line and/or decided to retcon it.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
hooglese said:
In the movies, the Imperials/Dark Side are a democratic republic, they kept the galaxy in peace, they only blew up Alderaan because the enemy was gathering there and they allowed freedom to express emotion while the light side of the force achieved none of this.

*Note that I am excluding the latest movies because they were just garbage.
Basically it's impossible to have a democratic Empire...

An Empire is ruled by an Emperor (that might be the same person until he's passed away) regardless of if the people likes him or not and has no power over him.

A Democratic Republic is ruled by "The people" which usually means that a person o group of people (like a senate) are elected by the Popular vote.

The Republic (as it is known in the prequels) turns into an Empire in episode III thanks to senator Jar Jar Binks since he was manipulated by Senator Palpatine to give the-soon-to-be Emperor) absolute presiding power over the Senate and the Republic.

He then moves to eliminate the Senate and declare himself Emperor.

A move pretty much a la Caesars of Ancient Rome.

That's the gist.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Owen Robertson said:
Matt King said:
umm giant death weapon? blowing up of planets? destroying the jedi order?
The Jedi Order had become a politically motivated army. It was compromised. It was going down anyway.
It was manipulated into that position by Palpatine. There is a blink and you'll miss it moment in an episode of The Clone Wars that shows a Palpatine Propaganda Hologram subtly spreading anti Jedi Sentiment. He was playing the public against them, and then forcing crises that would further discredit the Jedi.
Really? Damn. Never saw that. Time to go watch 2. Thanks friend.